Before we look at the prophetic symbolism of Advent candles (below), let’s consider the purpose and significance of Advent candles.
The purpose is very simple. It’s to prepare our hearts for the celebration of remembering the birth of Jesus. The candles are to remind us of what happened more than 2,000 years ago when Jesus left Heaven and entered into our world, bringing light into darkness. (Watch the Jimmy Stewart video clip from his not-so-well-known Christmas movie and consider how you might have felt if you had been there at the manger).
The History of Advent Candles
Lighting of Advent candles is often thought to be a part of liturgical church services only (Catholic, Episcopal, Lutheran, Eastern Orthodox, etc). It may be true that the tradition started with the Lutheran church, but it’s a practice that many churches now enjoy (some Presbyterian, Methodist, and even non-denominational churches).
The concept of the Advent wreath originated among German Lutherans in the 16th century. However, it was not until three centuries later that the modern Advent wreath took shape. Roman Catholics in Germany began to adopt the custom in the 1920s, and in the 1930s it spread to North America. The custom did not reach the United States until the 1930s, even among German Lutheran immigrants.
In medieval times, Advent was a period of fasting during which people’s thoughts were directed to the expected second coming of Christ. But in modern times, many have forgotten this meaning and it has instead been primarily seen as the lead up to Christmas, and in that context the Advent wreath serves as a reminder of the approach of the feast.
The Significance of Advent Candles
We light candles on each of the four Sundays preceding Christmas day. Read about each candle and watch our short and inspiring videos about the message each candle holds:
HOPE: Advent Candle 1 – Prophecy Gives Hope (video)
LOVE: Advent Candle 2 – Promise Reveals Love (video)
JOY: Advent Candle 3 – Jesus Is Our Joy (video)
PEACE: Advent Candle 4 – Pause to Find Peace (video)
After the four Sundays, Christmas day follows and we celebrate that day with the most significant Light of all the candles, the Christ Candle, reprenting Jesus’ incarnation.
Read about the Christ Candle and watch our short and inspiring video about the True Light who came into the darkness of our world, “not to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved” (John 3:17)
The Original Significance & A New Significance of Advent Candles
Wikipedia reports that Advent candles were originally intended to have a prophetic significance. They were to point to the second coming of Jesus.
I suggest that there is a significant symbolism of each Advent candle, with the candles representing four parts of God’s total plan of redemption. The first two candles remind us of things promised and fulfilled, and the third and fourth point to things promised and yet to come.
The Four Candles Remind Us of God’s Grace
1. The first candle, “hope,” points to Jesus’ first coming, His incarnation as a man, which prophecy revealed. Jesus came as the Light of the World, just as God had said He would through His holy prophets of old. (Read/watch HOPE: Advent Candle 1 – Prophecy Gives Hope)
2. The second candle, “love,” points to thge cross, by which Jesus paid for the sins of the world and offers salvation. It reminds us of the love we receive in the forgiveness of our sins and the new life we have in Christ. We all know the great hope of salvation verse, John 3:16 — God so loved the world that He gave His Son so we can be saved. The light of the love candle illuminates that love and reminds us of our great salvation, given to us by God when we repented and trusted in Jesus. (Read/watch: LOVE: Advent Candle 2 – Promise Reveals Love)
3. The third candle is “joy.” This candle is symbolic of a future hope — the Rapture of all true believers in the Lord Jesus Christ. While we were raised to new life in Jesus when He saved our souls, one day our bodies will also be raised and glorified in Heaven. And oh, what a joy it will be when Jesus comes for us, His Bride! (Read/watch: JOY: Advent Candle 3 – Jesus Is Our Joy)
4. The fourth candle is the candle of “peace.” It is also symbolic of a future hope — the shalom, the perfect peace, that will reign on earth when Jesus returns and sets up His Kingdom for 1,000 years. (Read/watch: PEACE: Advent Candle 4 – Pause to Find Peace)
One More Light
So the first two candles symbolically represent the first coming of Jesus — Jesus’ incarnation and His perfect sacrifice. The third candle represents His coming for His Bride and the fourth represents His second coming. You might be wondering, what about the Christ Candle?
I suggest that the Christ Candle points forward to the culmination of all world history. It symbolically represents eternity. It will begin when death and hell are cast into the lake of fire (Rev 20:14) and when a new heaven and new earth come down from Heaven (Rev 21:1). There will be the holy city, the new Jerusalem, on the new earth (Rev 2`1:3) and all who have been redeemed will dwell forevermore with Jesus as the Light of the World. And the city will have no need for the sun (or for candles). The glory of God, the Lamb (Jesus), will be the light. (Rev 21:23)
The Prophetic Significance
- Hope Candle = Jesus’ incarnation
- Love Candle = The cross
- Joy Candle = The Rapture
- Peace Candle = Jesus’ Millennial Kingdom on Earth
- Christ Candle = Eternity
Christmas Song Videos to Touch the Heart and Rejoice the Soul
Mary’s Child — from the movie, A Christmas Wish
I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, performed by Casting Crowns
The True Meaning of Christmas: The Sacrifice Began (How Many Kings)
The Season of Advent (the 4 weeks before Christmas)
Will You Find Rest This Advent Season?
HOPE Advent Candle 1 – Prophecy Gives Hope (video)
LOVE Advent Candle 2 – Promise Reveals Love (video)
JOY Advent Candle 3 – Jesus Is Our Joy (video)
PEACE Advent Candle 4 – Pause to Find Peace (video)
Christmas Day: When Love Was Born — Light the CHRIST Candle
What is the Prophetic Symbolism of Advent Candles?
Christmas-themed GOT QUESTIONS?
- Misconceptions about the Journey to Bethlehem (video)
- Errors in the Nativity Story? Is Jesus’ birthplace wrong?
- Who were the Three Wise Men? Fact or legend?
- How Did the Wise Men Know to Follow His Star?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 Days After Jesus’ Birth? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the significance of the Three Kings' gifts?
- Was Jesus born in a stable, a cave, or a house?
- Was Jesus born in September (not December?)
- Should we celebrate Jesus’ birthday in September?
- Does “Xmas” Cross Jesus Out of Christmas?
- What is the Prophetic Symbolism of Advent Candles?
- The Most Important Lesson for YOU in the Nativity Story?
- Was Mary a Levite, making Jesus both King and Priest?
- Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?
- How did Jesus become a man?
- Do You Get These 7 Things Right or Wrong About the Nativity Story?
- Are You Stuck in the Middle This Christmas? (short video lessons from the popular comedy TV show "The Middle.")
- What are the Prophecies of Christmas? (video)
- Where are the genealogies of Jesus in Mark and John?
- Why Are There Two Different Genealogies for Jesus?
- Should I Say “Happy Holidays” Instead of “Merry Christmas?”
- A Boastful Christmas Letter
- Peace Delivers Hope
- Promise Ignites Hope
- Preparation Produces Hope
- Prophesy Reveals Hope
- Alone at Christmas? Feeling lonely?
- Another reason God came to dwell with man.
- How can you have a white Christmas without snow?
- Christmas, abortion, and Joseph, the forgotten man of Christmas
- Remember the Wonder of Christmas
- Will you find rest, peace, and joy this advent season?
- A Christmas Morning Prayer by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, performed by Casting Crowns
- Mary’s Child — from the movie, A Christmas Wish
- The True Meaning of Christmas: The Sacrifice Began (How Many Kings)
- What If You Had Been There When Jesus Was Born? (video)
- Pause To Find Hope. Receive the Promises of God. See Jesus. Hear God’s Plan.
- Christmas Trivia Fun
- Songs of Christmas Series: Away in a Manger; Mary, Did You Know? Rose of Bethlehem; Good Christian Men Rejoice; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; I Wonder As I Wander; What Child Is This? The First Noel In the Bleak Midwinter (a golden oldie)
Have You Heard About This Baby Boy? A most beautiful rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, with a Christmas message to touch your heart and give joy to your soul.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering
YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. Subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
Top Ten in 2019
- What is the meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR