Week Four of Advent is a Candle of Peace
“Advent Candle” and “Piano’s Pause” Videos Below
We light an Advent candle each Sunday leading up to Christmas to prepare our hearts by renewing our hope, growing our love, rejoicing in Christ, and finding rest and peace.
Pause to Find Peace
As we draw nearer to Christmas day, many are overwhelmed with all the holiday “necessities” yet to be completed. Gifts still need to be purchased, wrapped, and some delivered. Cookies need to be baked. Plans for church services on Christmas eve need to be finalized. Food for Christmas meals needs to be planned, purchased, and some pre-prepared. Oh my! So much to do and so little time. People are making a list, and they’re checking it twice.
On the top of every Christmas to-do list should be one word — PAUSE. No matter the length of the list or the urgency of the tasks, it’s important to be still, to pause, and to find peace.
Peace with God vs. the Peace of God
We have peace with God, but the peace of God is a choice and it’s only found in the “pause.”
Peace WITH God
Peace with God is an objective peace. It doesn’t come from within ourselves. It’s not something we obtain. It is something we are freely given. It is a gift from God — a gift given to us by Jesus.
Jesus paid the penalty for our sins on the cross and, when we repent and trust in Him, He is faithful to forgive our sins and save us. Jesus absorbed the wrath of God that should have been ours. He made peace WITH God for us and He gives us that peace with God in our salvation. This peace is a fact, not a feeling. It is finished and it never changes or diminishes.
Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Peace OF God
Peace of God is a subjective peace. We have it when we experience the peace that comes through trusting Jesus. This peace is also given to us by God, and it produces in us a feeling of well-being. Having peace WITH God, we know that we have the Holy Spirit and that Jesus’ grace is sufficient in all things. Therefore, when we keep our eyes on Jesus and we rightly remember Who He is, what He has done for us, and who we are in Him, we experience the calm, and peace, of resting in Him. That is how we receive the peace OF God. Sadly, when we allow anxiety and fear to set in, our peace dwindles and our joy is diminished.
Paul warns us against such worry and he tells us that it is “with thanksgiving” we are to come to God. We are to remember all that God has given us and give Him thanks. Then we find rest in Jesus and experience the peace of God.
Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Jesus IS Peace!
When we read the account of angels announcing Jesus’ birth to the shepherds, we read that they praised God by proclaiming:
Luke 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
The angels proclaimed peace, but not a condition of peace on earth as some say. They proclaimed that “on earth” there was peace and that “Peace” was Jesus born in Bethlehem. They also proclaimed that “on earth” there was “good will toward man” and Jesus was that “Good Will.” His entering into our world was the greatest expression of God’s good will toward us.
Jesus’ birth brought peace, because He is Peace. His presence was “on earth Peace” but not peace on earth. There was much unrest during Jesus’ earthly life. Throughout the centuries there has never been peace on earth (at least not since the Garden), but there is “on earth peace” because Jesus is dwelling in the soul of every born-again believer through the power of His Holy Spirit.
Jesus is the Prince of Peace.
Jesus is our peace on this earth and for all eternity. He opened the way to peace with God and He desires that you choose to pause and receive the peace of God. That’s true rest
Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: let such as love thy salvation say continually, The LORD be magnified. (Psalm 40:16)
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. . . (John 14:27)
Pause and Hear an Incredible Message of Joy and Hope Found in the Pause
The Season of Advent (the 4 weeks before Christmas)
Will You Find Rest This Advent Season?
Advent Candle 1 – HOPE: Prophecy Gives Hope (video)
Advent Candle 2 – LOVE: Promise Reveals Love (video)
Advent Candle 3 – JOY: Jesus Is Our Joy (video)
Advent Candle 4 – PEACE: Pause to Find Peace (video)
Christmas-themed GOT QUESTIONS?
- Does “Xmas” Cross Jesus Out of Christmas?
- The Most Important Lesson for YOU in the Nativity Story?
- Misconceptions about the Journey to Bethlehem (video)
- Errors in the Nativity Story? Is Jesus’ birthplace wrong?
- Who were the Three Wise Men? Fact or legend?
- How Did the Wise Men Know to Follow His Star?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 Days After Jesus’ Birth? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the significance of the Three Kings' gifts?
- Was Jesus born in a stable, a cave or a house?
- Was Mary a Levite, making Jesus both King and Priest?
- Was Jesus born in September (not December?)
- Should we celebrate Jesus’ birthday in September?
- Was Jesus born in a stable, cave or house?
- Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?
- How did Jesus become a man?
- How did Jesus become a man?
- Do You Get These 7 Things Right or Wrong About the Nativity Story?
- Are You Stuck in the Middle This Christmas? (short video lessons from the popular comedy TV show "The Middle.")
- What are the Prophecies of Christmas? (video)
- Where are the genealogies of Jesus in Mark and John?
- Why are There Two Different Genealogies for Jesus?
- A Boastful Christmas Letter
- Peace Delivers Hope
- Promise Ignites Hope
- Preparation Produces Hope
- Prophesy Reveals Hope
- Alone at Christmas? Feeling lonely?
- Another reason God came to dwell with man.
- How can you have a white Christmas without snow?
- Christmas, abortion and Joseph, the forgotten man of Christmas
- Remember the Wonder of Christmas
- Will you find rest, peace and joy this advent season?
- A Christmas Morning Prayer by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
- What If You Had Been There When Jesus Was Born? (video)
- Pause to Find Hope (video)
- Pause to Receive the Promises of God (video)
- Pause to See Jesus (video)
- Pause to Hear God’s Plan (video)
- Christmas Trivia Fun
- Songs of Christmas Series: Away in a Manger; Mary, Did You Know? Rose of Bethlehem; Good Christian Men Rejoice; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; I Wonder As I Wander; What Child Is This? The First Noel In the Bleak Midwinter (a golden oldie)
If you do NOT know Jesus, click here NOW!
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering
YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and we need your help to continue. Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?*** Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. Subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email). SUBSCRIBE NOW
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR