Week Four of Advent is a Candle of Peace
“Advent Candle” and “Piano’s Pause” Videos Below
We light an Advent candle each Sunday leading up to Christmas to prepare our hearts by renewing our hope, growing our love, rejoicing in Christ, and finding rest and peace.
Pause to Find Peace
As we draw nearer to Christmas day, many are overwhelmed with all the holiday “necessities” yet to be completed. Gifts still need to be purchased, wrapped, and some delivered. Cookies need to be baked. Plans for church services on Christmas eve need to be finalized. Food for Christmas meals needs to be planned, purchased, and some pre-prepared. Oh my! So much to do and so little time. People are making a list, and they’re checking it twice.
On the top of every Christmas to-do list should be one word — PAUSE. No matter the length of the list or the urgency of the tasks, it’s important to be still, to pause, and to find peace.
Peace with God vs. the Peace of God
We have peace with God, but the peace of God is a choice and it’s only found in the “pause.”
Peace WITH God
Peace with God is an objective peace. It doesn’t come from within ourselves. It’s not something we obtain. It is something we are freely given. It is a gift from God — a gift given to us by Jesus.
Jesus paid the penalty for our sins on the cross and, when we repent and trust in Him, He is faithful to forgive our sins and save us. Jesus absorbed the wrath of God that should have been ours. He made peace WITH God for us and He gives us that peace with God in our salvation. This peace is a fact, not a feeling. It is finished and it never changes or diminishes.
Romans 5:1 Therefore being justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ:
Peace OF God
Peace of God is a subjective peace. We have it when we experience the peace that comes through trusting Jesus. This peace is also given to us by God, and it produces in us a feeling of well-being. Having peace WITH God, we know that we have the Holy Spirit and that Jesus’ grace is sufficient in all things. Therefore, when we keep our eyes on Jesus and we rightly remember Who He is, what He has done for us, and who we are in Him, we experience the calm, and peace, of resting in Him. That is how we receive the peace OF God. Sadly, when we allow anxiety and fear to set in, our peace dwindles and our joy is diminished.
Paul warns us against such worry and he tells us that it is “with thanksgiving” we are to come to God. We are to remember all that God has given us and give Him thanks. Then we find rest in Jesus and experience the peace of God.
Philippians 4:6-7 Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God. And the peace of God, which passes all understanding, shall keep your hearts and minds through Christ Jesus.
Jesus IS Peace!
When we read the account of angels announcing Jesus’ birth to the shepherds, we read that they praised God by proclaiming:
Luke 2:14 Glory to God in the highest, and on earth peace, good will toward men.
The angels proclaimed peace, but not a condition of peace on earth as some say. They proclaimed that “on earth” there was peace and that “Peace” was Jesus born in Bethlehem. They also proclaimed that “on earth” there was “good will toward man” and Jesus was that “Good Will.” His entering into our world was the greatest expression of God’s good will toward us.
Jesus’ birth brought peace, because He is Peace. His presence was “on earth Peace” but not peace on earth. There was much unrest during Jesus’ earthly life. Throughout the centuries there has never been peace on earth (at least not since the Garden), but there is “on earth peace” because Jesus is dwelling in the soul of every born-again believer through the power of His Holy Spirit.
Jesus is the Prince of Peace.
Jesus is our peace on this earth and for all eternity. He opened the way to peace with God and He desires that you choose to pause and receive the peace of God. That’s true rest
Let all those that seek thee rejoice and be glad in thee: let such as love thy salvation say continually, The LORD be magnified. (Psalm 40:16)
Peace I leave with you, my peace I give unto you. . . (John 14:27)
Pause and Hear an Incredible Message of Joy and Hope Found in the Pause
Will You Find Rest This Advent Season?
Advent Candle 1 – HOPE: Prophecy Gives Hope
Advent Candle 2 – LOVE: Promise Reveals Love
Advent Candle 3 – JOY: Jesus Is Our Joy
Advent Candle 4 – PEACE: Pause to Find Peace
Christmas-themed GOT QUESTIONS?
- Does “Xmas” Cross Jesus Out of Christmas?
- The Most Important Lesson for YOU in the Nativity Story?
- Misconceptions about the Journey to Bethlehem
- How did the Wise Men know to follow His star?
- What is the significance of the Three Kings' gifts?
- Who were the Three Wise Men? Fact or legend?
- Was Jesus born in a stable, a cave or a house?
- Was Mary a Levite, making Jesus both King and Priest?
- Was Jesus born in September (not December?)
- Should we celebrate Jesus’ birthday in September?
- How did Jesus become a man?
- A Boastful Christmas Letter
- Peace Delivers Hope
- Promise Ignites Hope
- Preparation Produces Hope
- Prophesy Reveals Hope
- Alone at Christmas? Feeling lonely?
- Another reason God came to dwell with man.
- How can you have a white Christmas without snow?
- Christmas, abortion and Joseph, the forgotten man of Christmas
- Remember the Wonder of Christmas
- Will you find rest, peace and joy this advent season?
- A Christmas Morning Prayer by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store