***Scroll down for a link to the full-size chart***
A simple, yet detailed timeline of Jesus’ last week of earthly ministry. From Palm Sunday to Easter Sunday, each day had significant events.
Six days prior to the crucifixion, Jesus traveled to Bethany
Nisan 9 — The weekly Sabbath
A day of rest a the home of Jesus’ friends.
Nisan 10 — The Triumphal Entry
On Sunday, the day after the weekly Sabbath, Jesus returned to Jerusalem and rode into the city on a donkey (Matt 21:1-9, Mark 11:1-10, Luke 19:28-40, John 12:12-19). And the people heralded His arrival by waving palm branches and proclaiming Him to be King.
This was the day of which the Prophet Daniel prophesied. It was the end of 69 weeks (Daniel 9:25-26a), when the Messiah would be cut off (killed) but not for Himself (for His people). (Read more about the What is the Seventieth Week of Daniel?)
The prophet Zechariah also prophesied of this day:
Zec 9:9 Rejoice greatly, O daughter of Zion; shout, O daughter of Jerusalem: behold, thy King cometh unto thee: he is just, and having salvation; lowly, and riding upon an ass, and upon a colt the foal of an ass.
Was this the King the people waited for? As Jesus beheld the city, He wept over it (Luke 19:38). Jesus did not come as a conquering king with power and a sword (Luke 19:41). After this, a number of events turned the people from proclaiming Jesus as King to doubting who He truly was.
Sunday, Nisan 10 is one of the most significant days in the Bible. It was the day each family selected a lamb for the Passover sacrifice and presented it to the priest to be inspected and declared worthy to be sacrificed. Nisan 10 was also the day that Jesus presented Himself to His people (Luke 19:28-37), entered the Temple, and was questioned by the authorities for the next few days. This was the day when God revealed to His people where their peace would come from (Luke 19:42a). But the Jews failed to recognize their Messiah. And so they were held accountable for not knowing “the time of [their] visitation” (Luke 19:42-44)
The next day, after Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem, He cursed the fruitless fig tree (Mk 11:13-14) and cleansed the Temple (Mt 21:12, Mk 11:15-19, Lk 19:45-46).
- Peter saw the withered fig tree (Mk 11:21);
- Jesus walked in the Temple (Mk 11:27);
- Jesus’ authority was questioned (Mt 22:15-45, Mk 11:27-12:27,35-40, Lk 20:20-47); the widow’s mite (Mk 12:41-44, Lk 21:1-4);
- Jesus left the Temple (Mk 13:1, Mat 21:1)
- Jesus talked with His disciples: The Olivet Discourse (Mat 24, Mk 13, Lk 21)
Jesus returned to Bethany and had dinner at the house of Simon the leper in Bethany (Mat 26:2). While there, an unnamed woman anointed Jesus’ head (Mat 26:7-13). The authorities plotted to kill Jesus (Mt 26:1-5, Mk 14:1-2). Judas agreed to betray Jesus (Mt 26:14-16, Mk 10-11).
Nisan 14 — The Day of Preparation
The Last Supper was during the nighttime hours, preceding the daytime hours. (Mat 26:17) It was “before the Feast of the Passover” (John 13:1); After the supper, Jesus and His disciples went to the Garden of Gethsemane (Mat 26:36, Jn 18:1). Jesus betrayed by Judas (Mat 26:48-49); Jesus arrested and taken to the High Priest Caiaphas (Mat 26:57); Peter denied Jesus three times (Mat 26:69-75
Daytime hours: Pilate said to the Jews, “here is your King” (Jn 19:14-15). They asked that Barabbas be released and Jesus be crucified (Mat 27:15, Jn 19:15). Pilate handed Jesus over to be crucified (Jn 19:16)
At the same time that the Passover lambs were slain, Jesus hung on the cross and gave up His life.
- Six hours of darkness on the cross: 9am-3pm.
- In the grave before sundown (Jn 19:31)
- Three days and three nights in the grave (Matt 12:40)
Nisan 15 — The Feast of Unleavened Bread
The Passover feast, the Feast of Unleavened Bread, was observed during the nighttime hours of Nisan 15.
Nisan 16 — Weekly Sabbath—a day of rest.
Nisan 17 — Resurrection Day!
The first day of the week was the Feast of Firstfruits. “He is not here: for he is risen” (Mt 28:6, Mk 16:6, Lk 24:6)
Feast of First-fruits
1 Cor 15:20 But now is Christ risen from the dead, and become the firstfruits of them that slept.
In life, Jesus was sinless—making Him the pure Passover Lamb and in death, He was the Lamb who died to atone for the sins of mankind. In the resurrection, God glorified Jesus and showed that the payment for sins was accepted and sufficient.
This opened the way for man to be forgiven, to be declared righteous, and made worthy of eternal life in Heaven.
Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Thursday Crucifixion? Do these two reasons “nail” it?
Why do we call it good [Friday]?
Were you there when they crucified my Lord? (song video)
How is Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the Crimson Worm? A Remez In Psalm 22?
Who do you need to reconcile with today?
Who Killed Jesus?
Since Jesus was the Passover LAMB, Why Didn't God Provide a Lamb in Genesis 22?
Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
Was Jesus Forsaken by His Father?
The centurion's song from the foot of the cross: “Surely This Was a Righteous Man”
Journey to the Cross: Maundy Thursday and Good Friday
How Do We Know Psalm 22 Is About The Cross?
Three Days in the Heart of the Earth
The Days of Darkness
Sadness and Despair: The Darkest Days of All Time
Obituary of Jesus: Body Stolen or Risen? What do you say?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED