There are a lot of churches in every city. Finding a good church can be a daunting task.
There are denominational, non-denominational, fellowship gatherings, and many other forms of church organizations. So, how does one know which is a good church home? How does one determine a church’s faithfulness in doctrine, quality of teaching, culture, and mission of a church?
It often takes quite a bit of time to “get to know” a church. Therefore, we suggest the best way to initially qualify a church is to judge it using God’s word.
Does the church believe and teach the following core doctrines of Christianity?
- The Bible is true, inerrant, and good for doctrine, reproof, correction, and instruction in righteousness.
- God created the heavens and earth and all that is in them.
- God created man in His image, and therefore human life is sacred.
- All was perfect until man sinned.
- God, in His amazing love and abundant mercy, promised to send a redeemer to save mankind.
- That redeemer is Jesus, and He is God.
- Jesus came to earth, born of a virgin, incarnate in the flesh, to redeem man.
- Jesus lived a sinless life and died to pay for man’s sins.
- He was buried and rose again. In doing so, He opened the way for mankind to come to God and have eternal life.
- Jesus forgives and saves repentant sinners by grace through faith, not of works (Eph 2:8-9)
- The Church is the body of Christ. And Jesus is the Head of the Body. Therefore, He is the Head of the Church.
- Those who are in Christ are called to love God and their neighbor and live according to His will and ways (as revealed through His inerrant Word).
- Jesus will return, and He will make all things new.
The closer a church adheres to the core teachings found in God’s Word and functions consistent with all of God’s Word, the more a church will honor God and function according to God’s principles and precepts.
Functioning According to God’s Principles and Precepts
Biblical churches are committed to obeying the Great Commandment.
Mark 12:30 And thou shalt love the Lord thy God with all thy heart, and with all thy soul, and with all thy mind, and with all thy strength: this is the first commandment.
Biblical churches can be identified by their demonstration of commitment to the Second Commandment, which is the Royal Law of our King.
Mark 12:31 And the second is like, namely this, Thou shalt love thy neighbor as thyself…
James 2:8 If you really fulfill the royal law according to the Scripture, “You shall love your neighbor as yourself,” you do well;
John 13:35 “By this all will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.”
Biblical churches are also missional — that is, they will do their best to meet the needs of others, both spiritually and physically — first, those in the church, and then those outside the church.
Gal 6:10 Therefore, as we have opportunity, let us do good to all, especially to those who are of the household of faith.
Again, finding a good church is not always easy….but it is worth it. Look for a Bible-believing, Bible-teaching, God-loving church that pursues knowing Jesus and making Him known. (Read more about core beliefs of Christian faith: What is IVDARR?)
A Starting Place
Below are some directories of churches that might help in your search to find a church near you. These denominations/associations are known to be biblically faithful in their beliefs and practices but understand that every church has its own unique identity.
This list is simply a way to begin your search. Also, ask other Christians about churches in your area. And always pray that God will direct your search, and open your eyes to see, your ears to hear, and your mind to discern about churches you visit. God is faithful, and He has promised that the Holy Spirit will “guide you into all truth” (John 16:13) and “will teach you all things” (John 14:26), including the church where He wants you to worship Him.
- Calvary Chapel Church Locator
- The Gospel Coalition Church Directory
- Southern Baptist Churches Directory
- American Baptist Churches
- Presbyterian Church in America Church Directory
- Acts 29 Churches
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED