Psalm 22 is known as one of the three Shepherd Psalms (Psalms 22, 23, and 24; Read: Following the Good, Great, and Chief Shepherd) Psalm 22 is also prophetic and gives a “picture” of the cross from the perspective of our Good Shepherd, the Lord Jesus Christ. In great detail, the psalm describes the suffering and death of Jesus that would take place 1,000 years later.
On the cross, Jesus quoted Psalm 22 when He cried, “My God, my God, why hast thou forsaken me? (Mat 27:46, Mark 15:34). For those standing at the foot of the cross, His words should have evoked the words of this psalm in their minds. Had they remembered David’s words, they could have seen what was happening before their eyes and remembered the promise of hope in this psalm’s closing words.
A Remez in Psalm 22?
In Jewish hermeneutics (interpretation of Scripture), a remez is a hidden message or a deeper meaning. It’s said to be a “treasure” that is found below the surface of, or behind, the words. (See below for a list of remezes in the Bible.)
There’s an interesting remez in verse six of Psalm 22. This psalm is prophetic of the cross of Jesus, and verse six says, “But I am a worm, and no man…” Jesus was certainly a man on the cross, so what did the psalmist mean when he wrote, “But I am a worm”?
The Hebrew word for a worm is “rimmah,” which is defined as a maggot or a worm. However, in Psalm 22:6, the word for “worm” is towla’ or tola’ath. Strong’s Dictionary defines this word as: a maggot (as voracious); the crimson-grub, but used only (in this connection) of the color from it, and cloths dyed therewith:–crimson, scarlet, worm.
So the word “tola’ath” used in Psalm 22:6 denotes not only a worm but also a crimson or scarlet worm that is common to the Middle East, predominantly in Israel. It should be noted that crimson and scarlet are the colors of blood – a very deep, blackish red. And, in this crimson worm, we find a hidden meaning of biblical significance.
The Life Cycle of the Crimson Worm
The Crimson Worm (scientific name: coccus ilicis or kermes ilicis) looks more like a grub than a worm. In the lifecycle of this worm is found a remez (hidden meaning) that points to the work of Jesus on the cross.
When the female crimson worm is ready to lay her eggs (which happens only once in her life), she climbs up a tree or fence and attaches herself to it. With its body attached to the word, a hard crimson shell forms — a shell so hard and so secured to the wood that it can only be removed by tearing apart the body which would kill the worm.
The female worm lays her eggs under her body, under the protective shell. The larvae hatch and they remain under the mother’s protective shell. The baby worms feed on the living body of the mother worm for three days. The mother worm then dies and her body excretes a crimson or scarlet dye that stains the wood to which she is attached and her baby worms. The baby worms remain crimson colored for their entire life.
On day four, the tail of the mother worm pulls up into her head, forming a heart-shaped body that is no longer crimson but has turned into a snow-white wax, looking like a patch of wool on the tree or fence. It then begins to flake off and drop to the ground looking like snow (sounds like manna).
Isa 1:18 Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet [shaniy – root word of tola’ath], they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson [tola’ath], they shall be as wool.
The Body of the Tola’ath
In biblical times, the red dye excreted from the Crimson Worm (Ps 22:6, Isa 1:18, Isa 66:24) was used in the High Priest’s robe and probably for Ram’s skins dyed red in the covering of the Tabernacle in the wilderness. Uses of this red dye continue today:
- The worm’s body and shell, while still red and attached to the tree, are scraped off and used to make what is called “Royal Red Dye.”
- The waxy material is used to make high-quality shellac that is used in the Middle East as a wood preserver.
- The remains of the Crimson Worm are also used in medicine that helps in regulating the human heart.
What Does Psalm 22 Mean: “I am a Worm”
Was Jesus a “Crimson Worm” on the cross? In typology, yes.
- Just as the mother worm attaches herself to the tree or fence, Jesus put himself on a wooden cross, a type of “tree,” and He willingly allowed the nails to be driven into His hands. (1 John 3:16) However, it wasn’t the nails that held Him on the cross. It was His desire to fulfill the purpose and plan of God the Father to redeem man from sin (Gal 1:4).
- Just as the mother worm attaching itself to a tree is the design of God in the creation of its lifecycle, so also it was God’s plan from before the foundations of the world to send His son to die on a tree/wooden cross (2 Tim 1:9, 1 Pet 1:20).
- Just as the mother worm, when crushed, excretes a crimson/scarlet dye that covers the baby worms and stains, or marks, them, Jesus was bruised/crushed for our iniquities (Isa 53:5). His scourging and death brought forth His crimson/scarlet blood that both washes away our sins (Rev 1:5) and marks us as His own (Eph 2:13).
- Just as the baby worm is dependent on the mother worm for the crimson dye to give it life and to mark it, a repentant sinner must depend on the blood of Jesus for the forgiveness of sins, to receive new life, and be marked as His own (Acts 4:12, 1 Pet 1:18-19).
Spurgeon in writing on verse 6 of this psalm (“But I am a worm, and no man; a reproach of men, and despised of the people”) said:
“There is a little red worm which seems to be nothing else but blood when it is crushed. It seems all gone except a blood-stain and the Savior, in the deep humiliation of His spirit, compares Himself to that little red worm. How true it is that ‘He made Himself of no reputation’ for our sakes! He emptied Himself of all His Glory and, if there is any glory natural to manhood, He emptied Himself even of that! Not only the glories of His Godhead, but the honors of His Manhood He laid aside that it might be seen that ‘though He was rich, yet for our sakes He became poor.’”
“He became poor.” In typology, Jesus became a worm, a lowly worm. He was crushed for our sakes and He poured out His red blood—the blood that washes us clean. The blood that gives us life.
Nature Declares the Glory of God
Look around and see all the whispers of Jesus. From the beauty of God’s creation — the sun, the moon, the stars, the land, the seas, the animals, and most of all mankind — everything testifies of our amazing God. In the spring, we see new life emerging. In the summer, we feel the warmth of the sun. In the fall, the colors of God’s “paintbrush” are vivid. And in the winter, we rest in a blanket of white. All to begin again in the lifecycle of nature.
“Come now, and let us reason together, saith the LORD: though your sins be as scarlet, they shall be as white as snow; though they be red like crimson, they shall be [white] as wool.” Isaiah 1:18
Remezes (Hidden Messages) in the Bible
- Why Did Satan Rebel Against God?
- The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
- Is There a Remez (Hidden Message) in Genesis 5?
- Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
- Is There a Remez (Hidden Message) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan missing?
- The Meaning of Numbers in the Bible?
- What’s the Amazing Remez (Hidden Message) in the Book of Numbers?
- Is There a Remez in Psalm 23? Names of God?
- How is Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the Crimson Worm? A Remez In Psalm 22
- What are the Mysteries in the Bible?
- Why Was a Ram Sacrificed in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
***Lent: 40 Titles for 40 Days (Download NOW: 40 Titles for Lenten Devotions)
What is Lent? Should I Give Up Something? (Article and Video)
This Time Called Lent (Video)
Prepare for Lent (Video)
Lent Reflections (Video)
How Should You Observe Lent? (Article)
How Should You Observe Lent? (Reflect and Prepare short video)
Have You Sat At The Master’s Table? (John 13-17)
About Holy Week
Why Was a Ram Sacrificed in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
Blessed is the King -- A Palm Sunday video
Hosanna -- Palm Sunday (Jesus Wept) (video)
Walking with Jesus – Tested by the Chief Priests and Elders
What is Maundy Thursday? The Basin & The Towel
Maundy Thursday until Easter Sunday (video)
What’s your Judas experience? The Pain of Betrayal
What Do We Know about Judas? This Might Surprise You.
Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Thursday Crucifixion? Do these two reasons “nail” it?
Why do we call it good [Friday]?
Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
How is Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the Crimson Worm? A Remez In Psalm 22?
Who do you need to reconcile with today?
Who Killed Jesus?
Since Jesus was the Passover LAMB, Why Didn't God Provide a Lamb in Genesis 22?
Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
Was Jesus Forsaken by His Father?
The centurion's song from the foot of the cross: “Surely This Was a Righteous Man”
Sadness and Despair: The Darkest Days of All Time
Journey to the Cross: Maundy Thursday and Good Friday
The Days of Darkness
Obituary of Jesus: Body Stolen or Risen? What do you say?
About Easter and Resurrection Life
Because He Lives, I Can Face Tomorrow (video)
Christ the Lord is Risen Today, Alleluia (video)
A Place in the Sun (Son) (video)
You'll Never Walk Alone (video)
How to Close Your Eyes and Really SEE Jesus!
Open Your Eyes to The Full Gospel
Are you glad to see Jesus?
Ponder the Prophecies of Jesus’ Mission (video and downloadable file)
What If We Skipped Easter This Year?
He’s back….and it changed everything!
The Lord is Risen Indeed! Hallelujah!
Because He Rose: The resurrection changed everything! (video)
What’s the Meaning of the Folded Napkin in the tomb?
Keep Easter Alive in Your Heart: He Came Back (video)
The Only Soul-Saver, Sin-Forgiver, Chain-Breaker, Pain-Taker, Way-Maker, Hope-Giver: Jesus
Keep Looking Up
Praise God, He’s Alive
Christian Internet Forwards? The Rest of “The Birdcage” Story?(video)
Ways to Glorify God - Bookmark
Watch NOW...You will be blessed.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
Top Ten in 2019
- What is the meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR