What’s a Remez?
In Jewish hermeneutics (interpretation of Scripture), a remez is a hidden message, or a deeper meaning. It’s said to be a “treaure” that is found below the surface of, or behind, the words. (See below for Psalm 23 remez and other remezes in the Bible.)
Psalm 23 is a very short psalm, but packed into the words is the power, presence, and promises of God. It is one of the three Shepherd Psalms (Psalms 22, 23 and 24) that reveal the Person and works of our Shepherd, the Lord Jesus Christ. He is our Saviour, our Sanctifier, and our Sovereign.
In the precious words of Psalm 23 are tucked 11 names of God. This is likely something you have not seen before. Each of these names is a compound name of God.
While there are 11 compound names of God found in Psalm 23, there are more in other passages. Before identifying the names found in Psalm 23, let’s review the compound names of God, their meanings, and the passages in which they are found.
Compound Names of God
The compound names of God begin with the name Jehovah or El. Jehovah is the Anglicized form of the covenant name of God, YHVH, which is pronounced Yod Hey Vod Hey, or Yahweh (and Anglicized in Jehovah). The name is translated as LORD (in uppercase) in most Bibles and as Jehovah in some. The name El is translated as God. Descriptive Hebrew words are added to Jehovah, or El, to create a compound name that reveals God’s work in our lives or gives insight to His nature and character. The compound names of God are very helpful in understanding many of God’s attributes.
- Jehovah-Cheleq – The Lord my Inheritance – Psalm 16:5
- Jehovah-Ezer – The Lord, my Help – Deuteronomy 33:29, Psalm 33:20, Hebrews 13:6
- Jehovah-jireh – The Lord Will See To It –Genesis 22:14
- Jehovah-Manah – The Lord my Portion –Lamentations 3:24, Psalm 16:5, Psalm 119:57
- Jehovah-rawfaw – The Lord That Makes Whole – Exodus 15:26; Jeremiah 33:6; 1 Kings 18:30; Job 5:17,18; Psalms 103:3; Psalms 146:3
- Jehovah-nissi – The Lord Our Banner – Exodus 17:15
- Jehovah-shalom – The Lord Gives Peace –Judges 6:24
- Jehovah-tsidkeneau – The Lord Our Righteousness – Jeremiah 23:6
- Jehovah-raah – The Lord My Shepherd – Psalm 23:1 (shepherd); Ezekiel 34:11-15 (companion); Jeremiah 3:12-16 (pastors); Judges 11:34-35(friend); Exodus 33:11 (friend)
- Jehovah-Shama – The Lord is Present – Ezekiel 48:35; Exodus 33:14; Matthew 28:20; Hebrews 13:5; John 14:16-17; Romans 8:9
- Jehovah-InKaddesh – The Lord Which Sanctifies – Leviticus 20:18, 21:15, 21:23, 22:9, 22:16
- El-shaddai – The Almighty God – Genesis 17:1, 28:3, 35:11; Ruth 1:20-21; 31 x in Job; Ezekiel 10:5
- El-elyon – The Most High God – Genesis 14:19, 22; Deuteronomy 32:8; Isaiah 14:14
- El-elyon – Possessor of Heaven and Earth, Part II – Genesis 14:19, 22; Deuteronomy 32:8; Isaiah 14:14, Daniel 3: 26, 4:17; Psalm 56:2
- El Qanna – TheJealous God – Exodus 20:5, 34:14; Deuteronomy 4:24, 5:9, 6:15; Joshua 24:19
(Excerpted from the article, “In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?” Read the names for Jesus and the Holy Spirit.)
A Remez in Psalm 23
Now let’s read Psalm 23 and find the 11 names of our great God hidden in this psalm. The names are revealed by His promises and His works and they remind us of our God’s ever present love, peace, comfort, help, and more!
The Names of God in Psalm 23
Vs 1 The LORD is my shepherd
[He is Jehovah-Raah—The Lord, my Shepherd!]
I shall not want.
[He is Jehovah-Jireh—The Lord, my Provider!]
Vs 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
[He is Jehovah-Shalom—The Lord, my Peace!]
Vs 3 He restoreth my soul
[He is Jehovah-Rophe—The Lord, my Healer!]:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
[He is Jehovah-Tsidkeneau—The Lord of Righteousness!]
Vs 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
[He is Jehovah-Shama—The Lord is Present!]
Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
[He is Jehovah-Ezer—The Lord, my Help!]
Vs 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
[He is Jehovah-Nissi—The Lord, my Standard of Victory!]
Thou anointest my head with oil;
[He is Jehovah-InKaddesh— The Lord, my Holiness, my Sanctification!]
My cup runneth over.
[He is Jehovah-Manah—The Lord my Portion!]
Vs 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
[He is Jehovah-Cheleq—The Lord my Inheritance!]
© Reasons for Hope* Jesus, www.reasonsforhopeJesus.com
Download a PDF of The Names of God Hidden in Psalm 23
Remezes (Hidden Messages) in the Bible
- Why Did Satan Rebel Against God?
- The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
- Is There a Remez (Hidden Message) in Genesis 5?
- Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
- Is There a Remez (Hidden Message) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan missing?
- The Meaning of Numbers in the Bible?
- What’s the Amazing Remez (Hidden Message) in the Book of Numbers?
- Is There a Remez in Psalm 23? Names of God?
- How is Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the Crimson Worm? A Remez In Psalm 22
- What are the Mysteries in the Bible?
Do not be anxious about anything. (Phil 4:6)
In this time of confusion and uncertainty because of the COVID-19 pandemic, we must rightly remember who is in control. Our God is sovereign over all things, including COVID-19. As Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892) once said, “The sovereignty of God is a soft pillow on which weary people lay their heads.”
Remember also God’s gracious promise, and that it is true and He is faithful to keep it: Hebrews 13:5 …”I will never leave you, nor forsake you.” The next verse remind us of the power that comes in trusting God and how we can live: Hebrews 13:6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man [or COVID-19] shall do to me.
God loves us, and in Christ we find confidence and calm in times of uncertainty and trouble. When we trust in God, fear is replaced with faith, stress is replaced with strength, anxiety is gone and hope abounds, problems become opportunities, and we are able to receive the blessings God has for us in the midst of difficult circumstances. Turn to Jesus. He will lead you to the still waters and give rest for your troubled soul.
This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast…Hebrews 6:19
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR