What’s a Remez?
In Jewish hermeneutics (interpretation of Scripture), a remez is a hidden message, or a deeper meaning. It’s said to be a “treaure” that is found below the surface of, or behind, the words. (See below for Psalm 23 remez and other remezes in the Bible.)
Psalm 23 is a very short psalm, but packed into the words is the power, presence, and promises of God. It is one of the three Shepherd Psalms (Psalms 22, 23 and 24) that reveal the Person and works of our Shepherd, the Lord Jesus Christ. He is our Saviour, our Sanctifier, and our Sovereign.
In the precious words of Psalm 23 are tucked 11 names of God. This is likely something you have not seen before. Each of these names is a compound name of God.
While there are 11 compound names of God found in Psalm 23, there are more in other passages. Before identifying the names found in Psalm 23, let’s review the compound names of God, their meanings, and the passages in which they are found.
Compound Names of God
The compound names of God begin with the name Jehovah or El. Jehovah is the Anglicized form of the covenant name of God, YHVH, which is pronounced Yod Hey Vod Hey, or Yahweh (and Anglicized in Jehovah). The name is translated as LORD (in uppercase) in most Bibles and as Jehovah in some. The name El is translated as God. Descriptive Hebrew words are added to Jehovah, or El, to create a compound name that reveals God’s work in our lives or gives insight to His nature and character. The compound names of God are very helpful in understanding many of God’s attributes.
- Jehovah-Cheleq – The Lord my Inheritance – Psalm 16:5
- Jehovah-Ezer – The Lord, my Help – Deuteronomy 33:29, Psalm 33:20, Hebrews 13:6
- Jehovah-jireh – The Lord Will See To It –Genesis 22:14
- Jehovah-Manah – The Lord my Portion –Lamentations 3:24, Psalm 16:5, Psalm 119:57
- Jehovah-rawfaw – The Lord That Makes Whole – Exodus 15:26; Jeremiah 33:6; 1 Kings 18:30; Job 5:17,18; Psalms 103:3; Psalms 146:3
- Jehovah-nissi – The Lord Our Banner – Exodus 17:15
- Jehovah-shalom – The Lord Gives Peace –Judges 6:24
- Jehovah-tsidkeneau – The Lord Our Righteousness – Jeremiah 23:6
- Jehovah-raah – The Lord My Shepherd – Psalm 23:1 (shepherd); Ezekiel 34:11-15 (companion); Jeremiah 3:12-16 (pastors); Judges 11:34-35(friend); Exodus 33:11 (friend)
- Jehovah-Shama – The Lord is Present – Ezekiel 48:35; Exodus 33:14; Matthew 28:20; Hebrews 13:5; John 14:16-17; Romans 8:9
- Jehovah-InKaddesh – The Lord Which Sanctifies – Leviticus 20:18, 21:15, 21:23, 22:9, 22:16
- El-shaddai – The Almighty God – Genesis 17:1, 28:3, 35:11; Ruth 1:20-21; 31 x in Job; Ezekiel 10:5
- El-elyon – The Most High God – Genesis 14:19, 22; Deuteronomy 32:8; Isaiah 14:14
- El-elyon – Possessor of Heaven and Earth, Part II – Genesis 14:19, 22; Deuteronomy 32:8; Isaiah 14:14, Daniel 3: 26, 4:17; Psalm 56:2
- El Qanna – TheJealous God – Exodus 20:5, 34:14; Deuteronomy 4:24, 5:9, 6:15; Joshua 24:19
(Excerpted from the article, “In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?” Read the names for Jesus and the Holy Spirit.)
A Remez in Psalm 23
Now let’s read Psalm 23 and find the 11 names of our great God hidden in this psalm. The names are revealed by His promises and His works and they remind us of our God’s ever present love, peace, comfort, help, and more!
The Names of God in Psalm 23
Vs 1 The LORD is my shepherd
[He is Jehovah-Raah—The Lord, my Shepherd!]
I shall not want.
[He is Jehovah-Jireh—The Lord, my Provider!]
Vs 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
[He is Jehovah-Shalom—The Lord, my Peace!]
Vs 3 He restoreth my soul
[He is Jehovah-Rophe—The Lord, my Healer!]:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
[He is Jehovah-Tsidkeneau—The Lord of Righteousness!]
Vs 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
[He is Jehovah-Shama—The Lord is Present!]
Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
[He is Jehovah-Ezer—The Lord, my Help!]
Vs 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
[He is Jehovah-Nissi—The Lord, my Standard of Victory!]
Thou anointest my head with oil;
[He is Jehovah-InKaddesh— The Lord, my Holiness, my Sanctification!]
My cup runneth over.
[He is Jehovah-Manah—The Lord my Portion!]
Vs 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
[He is Jehovah-Cheleq—The Lord my Inheritance!]
© Reasons for Hope* Jesus, www.reasonsforhopeJesus.com
Download a PDF of The Names of God Hidden in Psalm 23
- Why Did Satan Rebel Against God?
- The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
- Is There a Hidden Message in Genesis 5?
- Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
- Is there a hidden message in Revelation 7? Why is Dan missing?
- The Meaning of Numbers in the Bible?
- What’s the Amazing Remez in the Book of Numbers?
- Is There a Remez in Psalm 23? Names of God?
- How is Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the Crimson Worm? A Remez In Psalm 22?
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store