What’s a Remez?
In Jewish hermeneutics (interpretation of Scripture), a remez is a hidden message, or a deeper meaning. It’s said to be a “treaure” that is found below the surface of, or behind, the words. (See below for Psalm 23 remez and other remezes in the Bible.)
Psalm 23 is a very short psalm, but packed into the words is the power, presence, and promises of God. It is one of the three Shepherd Psalms (Psalms 22, 23 and 24) that reveal the Person and works of our Shepherd, the Lord Jesus Christ. He is our Saviour, our Sanctifier, and our Sovereign.
In the precious words of Psalm 23 are tucked 11 names of God. This is likely something you have not seen before. Each of these names is a compound name of God.
While there are 11 compound names of God found in Psalm 23, there are more in other passages. Before identifying the names found in Psalm 23, let’s review the compound names of God, their meanings, and the passages in which they are found.
Compound Names of God
The compound names of God begin with the name Jehovah or El. Jehovah is the Anglicized form of the covenant name of God, YHVH, which is pronounced Yod Hey Vod Hey, or Yahweh (and Anglicized in Jehovah). The name is translated as LORD (in uppercase) in most Bibles and as Jehovah in some. The name El is translated as God. Descriptive Hebrew words are added to Jehovah, or El, to create a compound name that reveals God’s work in our lives or gives insight to His nature and character. The compound names of God are very helpful in understanding many of God’s attributes.
- Jehovah-Cheleq – The Lord my Inheritance – Psalm 16:5
- Jehovah-Ezer – The Lord, my Help – Deuteronomy 33:29, Psalm 33:20, Hebrews 13:6
- Jehovah-jireh – The Lord Will See To It –Genesis 22:14
- Jehovah-Manah – The Lord my Portion –Lamentations 3:24, Psalm 16:5, Psalm 119:57
- Jehovah-rawfaw – The Lord That Makes Whole – Exodus 15:26; Jeremiah 33:6; 1 Kings 18:30; Job 5:17,18; Psalms 103:3; Psalms 146:3
- Jehovah-nissi – The Lord Our Banner – Exodus 17:15
- Jehovah-shalom – The Lord Gives Peace –Judges 6:24
- Jehovah-tsidkeneau – The Lord Our Righteousness – Jeremiah 23:6
- Jehovah-raah – The Lord My Shepherd – Psalm 23:1 (shepherd); Ezekiel 34:11-15 (companion); Jeremiah 3:12-16 (pastors); Judges 11:34-35(friend); Exodus 33:11 (friend)
- Jehovah-Shama – The Lord is Present – Ezekiel 48:35; Exodus 33:14; Matthew 28:20; Hebrews 13:5; John 14:16-17; Romans 8:9
- Jehovah-InKaddesh – The Lord Which Sanctifies – Leviticus 20:18, 21:15, 21:23, 22:9, 22:16
- El-shaddai – The Almighty God – Genesis 17:1, 28:3, 35:11; Ruth 1:20-21; 31 x in Job; Ezekiel 10:5
- El-elyon – The Most High God – Genesis 14:19, 22; Deuteronomy 32:8; Isaiah 14:14
- El-elyon – Possessor of Heaven and Earth, Part II – Genesis 14:19, 22; Deuteronomy 32:8; Isaiah 14:14, Daniel 3: 26, 4:17; Psalm 56:2
- El Qanna – TheJealous God – Exodus 20:5, 34:14; Deuteronomy 4:24, 5:9, 6:15; Joshua 24:19
(Excerpted from the article, “In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?” Read the names for Jesus and the Holy Spirit.)
A Remez in Psalm 23
Now let’s read Psalm 23 and find the 11 names of our great God hidden in this psalm. The names are revealed by His promises and His works and they remind us of our God’s ever present love, peace, comfort, help, and more!
The Names of God in Psalm 23
Vs 1 The LORD is my shepherd
[He is Jehovah-Raah—The Lord, my Shepherd!]
I shall not want.
[He is Jehovah-Jireh—The Lord, my Provider!]
Vs 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
[He is Jehovah-Shalom—The Lord, my Peace!]
Vs 3 He restoreth my soul
[He is Jehovah-Rophe—The Lord, my Healer!]:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
[He is Jehovah-Tsidkeneau—The Lord of Righteousness!]
Vs 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
[He is Jehovah-Shama—The Lord is Present!]
Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
[He is Jehovah-Ezer—The Lord, my Help!]
Vs 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
[He is Jehovah-Nissi—The Lord, my Standard of Victory!]
Thou anointest my head with oil;
[He is Jehovah-InKaddesh— The Lord, my Holiness, my Sanctification!]
My cup runneth over.
[He is Jehovah-Manah—The Lord my Portion!]
Vs 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
[He is Jehovah-Cheleq—The Lord my Inheritance!]
© Reasons for Hope* Jesus, www.reasonsforhopeJesus.com
Download a PDF of The Names of God Hidden in Psalm 23
- Why Did Satan Rebel Against God?
- The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
- Is There a Hidden Message in Genesis 5?
- Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
- Is there a hidden message in Revelation 7? Why is Dan missing?
- The Meaning of Numbers in the Bible?
- What’s the Amazing Remez in the Book of Numbers?
- Is There a Remez in Psalm 23? Names of God?
Receive articles like this in your inbox. Subscribe to Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge