We answered the question, “Is there a hidden message in Revelation 7? by explaining a remez found in the list of the 12 tribes in that chapter of Revelation. Genesis 5 also contains a remez. So, what’s a remez? In Jewish hermeneutics (interpretation of Scripture), a remez is a hidden message or a deeper meaning. It’s a message that is found below the surface or behind the words. You can read about the Revelation 7 remez here.
The remez in Genesis 5 is found in the names recorded in the genealogy recorded in Genesis 5. The names in Genesis 5 are not as clearly defined as those in Revelation 7, but by using a Hebrew dictionary we can find the meaning of each name.
What’s in a Name?
In ancient times, the names given to children had significant meaning. Genesis 5 records the genealogy from Adam to Noah. Let’s look at the meanings of the 10 names listed in that genealogy.
Adam (Genesis 5:3-5)
Seth (Genesis 5:3, 6-8)
Enosh (Genesis 5:6, 9-11)
Cainan (Genesis 5:9, 12-14)
Mahalalel (Genesis 5:12, 15-18)
Jared (Genesis 5:15, 18-20)
Enoch (Genesis 5:18, 21-24)
Methuselah (Genesis 5:21, 25-27)
Lamech (Genesis 5: 25, 28-31)
Noah (Genesis 5:28-29)
Using the Strong’s Dictionary and, of course, the Bible to define the names, we are able to gather the following information:
Adam means “Man”
120. ‘adam, aw-dawm’; from H119; ruddy, i.e. a human being (an individual or the species, mankind, etc.):–X another, + hypocrite, + common sort, X low, man (mean, of low degree), person.
Genesis 2:23 And Adam said, This is now bone of my bones, and flesh of my flesh: she shall be called Woman, because she was taken out of Man.
Genesis 5:1 This is the book of the generations of Adam. In the day that God created man, in the likeness of God made he him.
Seth means “put” or “appointed”
8352. Sheth, shayth; from H7896; put, i.e. substituted; Sheth, third son of Adam:–Seth, Sheth.
Genesis 4:25 And Adam knew his wife again; and she bare a son, and called his name Seth: For God, said she, hath appointed me another seed instead of Abel, whom Cain slew.
Genesis 5:3 And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years, and begot a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth.
Enosh means a mortal man
from the root: 582’enowsh, en-oshe’; from H605; prop. a mortal (and thus differing from the more dignified H120); hence a man in gen. (singly or collect.):–another, X [blood-] thirsty, certain, chap [-man], divers, fellow, X in the flower of their age, husband, (certain, mortal) man, people, person, servant, some (X of them), + stranger, those, + their trade. It is often unexpressed in the Engl. version, especially when used in apposition with another word. Comp. H376.
Genesis 4:26 And as for Seth, to him also a son was born; and he named him Enosh. Then men began to call on the name of the LORD.
Genesis 5:6 Seth lived one hundred and five years, and begot Enosh.
Cainan means dwelling place
from the root: 7064. qen, kane; contr. from H7077; a nest (as fixed), sometimes includ. the nestlings; fig. a chamber or dwelling:–nest, room.
Genesis 5:9 Enosh lived ninety years, and begot Cainan.
Mahalalel means praise God or God be praised
from mahalal which means “praise” and “el” which means God
4110. mahalal, mah-hal-awl’; from H1984; fame:–praise
Genesis 5:12 Cainan lived seventy years, and begot Mahalalel.
Jared means descend
from the root: 3381. yarad, yaw-rad’; a prim. root; to descend
Genesis 5:15 Mahalalel lived sixty-five years, and begot Jared.
Enoch means to discipline and train up
from the root: 2596. chanak, khaw-nak’; a prim. root; prop. to narrow [comp. H2614]; fig. to initiate or discipline:–dedicate, train up.
Genesis 5:18 Jared lived one hundred and sixty-two years, and begot Enoch.
Methuselah means death, send away, cast out
Methuselah is an important man who lived longer than anyone else. He life was sustained by God for 969 years (Genesis 5:25-5:26) and his name comes from the Hebrew word “muth” and “shalach.
muwth, mooth; a prim. root; to die (lit. or fig.); causat. to kill:– X at all, X crying, (be) dead (body, man, one), (put to, worthy of) death, destroy (-er), (cause to, be like to, must) die, kill, necro [-mancer], X must needs, slay, X surely, X very suddenly, X in [no] wise.
shalach, shaw-lakh’; a prim. root; to send away, for, or out (in a great variety of applications):– X any wise, appoint, bring (on the way), cast (away, out), conduct, X earnestly, forsake, give (up), grow long, lay, leave, let depart (down, go, loose), push away, put (away, forth, in, out), reach forth, send (away, forth, out), set, shoot (forth, out), sow, spread, stretch forth (out).
A meaning derived from Methuselah’s name is: [his] death will send away, cast out.
Genesis 5:21 Enoch lived sixty-five years, and begot Methuselah.
Lamech: This name is difficult to discern its meaning.
Strong’s Dictionary defines it as “an unused root of uncertain meaning.” Some have said the name means depressed or despairing because the Hebrew verb “muk” (4134) means to be low, depressed or grow poor or impoverished.
Genesis 5:25 Methuselah lived one hundred and eighty-seven years, and begot Lamech.
The meaning of the names from Adam to Lamech.
Enosh: A mortal man
Cainan: dwelling place
Mahalalel: Praise God
Enoch: to discipline and train-up
Methuselah: death will send away, cast out
Lamech: the depressed, despairing
This brings us to the tenth and final name in the Genesis 5 genealogy: Noah.
Lamech named his son Noah, “saying, “This one will comfort us concerning our work and the toil of our hands…” (Genesis 5:29). The Bible also tells us that Noah found grace in the eyes of the Lord (Genesis 6:8).
Noah’s name means comfort or rest.
True comfort and real rest are only found when we receive God’s grace. Jesus is “[the] One who will comfort us concerning our work and the toil of our hands.”
Now let’s string together the meanings of all ten names [bracketed words added for understanding]:
Man [is] appointed a mortal man [in his] dwelling place. Praise God, [He] descended to discipline and train-up. [His] death will send away, cast out, the depressed, the despairing. The One [Jesus] will comfort us and give us rest.
Wow! What an amazing message! Tucked into Genesis 5, hidden in the meaning of the names in the genealogy, is a beautiful presentation of the gospel of saving grace. This is just one more proof that the Bible is divinely written and the “fingerprint” of the Holy Spirit is found on every page!
Remezes in the Bible
In Jewish hermeneutics (interpretation of Scripture), a remez is a hidden message, or a deeper meaning found below the surface or behind the words.
- Why Did Satan Rebel Against God?
- The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
- Is There a Remez (Hidden Message) in Genesis 5?
- Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
- Is There a Remez (Hidden Message) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan missing?
- The Meaning of Numbers in the Bible?
- The Meaning of Colors in the Bible?
- What’s the Amazing Remez (Hidden Message) in the Book of Numbers?
- Is There a Remez in Psalm 23? Names of God?
- How is Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the Crimson Worm? A Remez In Psalm 22
- What are the Mysteries in the Bible?
- Why Was a Ram Sacrificed in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- What do Zelophehad’s Daughters have to do with Christmas?
Read more about the names of God in the Bible:
- In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua, and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?
- For His Great Name's Sake (videos)
- Should we call His name Jesus? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
- The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
- What a Beautiful Name: The Name of Jesus
- What is the New Name Spoken of in Revelation 2:17?
- His be the Victor's Name (song video)
- Forty Titles of Jesus to Know Him Better and Love Him More
- Is Ehyeh, Yahweh, Jehovah, or Jesus God’s Name?
Read about other names in the Bible:
- Is Satan’s Real Name Lucifer? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- Is there a hidden message in the names in Revelation 7? Why is Dan missing?
- Is There a Hidden Message in the names in Genesis 5?
Read about the Love of Jesus:
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas