By Shari Abbott, Reasons for Hope* Jesus
Last week I shared how Psalms 22, 23 and 24 reveal the Person and works of our Shepherd, the Lord Jesus Christ. He is our Saviour, our Sanctifier and our Sovereign. The teaching on those psalms was from a four-week Bible study I taught on seeing Jesus as our Shepherd. The final week I focused on the names of God and concluded with the names of Jehovah as revealed in Psalm 23.
We all know and love Psalm 23, but did you know that the psalm reveals 11 names of God? This is likely something you have not seen before. We’ll identify the names in Psalm 23, but first let’s understand the many compound names of God found in the Old Testament.
The compound names begin with the name Jehovah or El. Jehovah is the Anglicized form of Jehovah. It is a pronunciation of the covenant name of God YHVH, which is also pronounced Yahweh. This name is translated as LORD in our Bibles. The name El is translated as God. Descriptive Hebrew words are added to Jehovah or El to create a compound name that reveal God’s work in our lives or gives insight to His nature and character. The compound names of God are very helpful in understanding many of God’s attributes.
Compound Names of God
Jehovah-jireh – The Lord Will See To It – Genesis 22:14
Jehovah-nissi – The Lord Our Banner – Exodus 17:15
Jehovah-shalom – The Lord Gives Peace – Judges 6:24
Jehovah-tsidkeneau – The Lord Our Righteousness – Jeremiah 23:6
(Excerpted from the article, “In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?” Read the names for Jesus and the Holy Spirit.)
A Remez in Psalm 23
What’s a remez? In Jewish hermeneutics (interpretation of Scripture), a remez is a hidden message, or a deeper meaning found below the surface or behind the words. You can read about a remez in Revelation 7 here and one in Genesis 5 here.
Now let’s read Psalm 23 and find the 11 names of our great God hidden in this psalm. The names are revealed by His promises and His works and they remind us of our God’s ever present love, peace, comfort, help, and more!
The Names of God in Psalm 23
Vs 1 The LORD is my shepherd
[He is Jehovah-Raah—The Lord, my Shepherd!]
I shall not want.
[He is Jehovah-Jireh—The Lord, my Provider!]
Vs 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
[He is Jehovah-Shalom—The Lord, my Peace!]
Vs 3 He restoreth my soul
[He is Jehovah-Rophe—The Lord, my Healer!]:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
[He is Jehovah-Tsidkeneau—The Lord of Righteousness!]
Vs 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
[He is Jehovah-Shama—The Lord is Present!]
Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
[He is Jehovah-Ezer—The Lord, my Help!]
Vs 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
[He is Jehovah-Nissi—The Lord, my Standard of Victory!]
Thou anointest my head with oil;
[He is Jehovah-InKaddesh— The Lord, my Holiness, my Sanctification!]
My cup runneth over.
[He is Jehovah-Manah—The Lord my Portion!]
Vs 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
[He is Jehovah-Cheleq—The Lord my Inheritance!]
Read more about shepherds:
Read more about names of God in the Bible:
- In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?
- For His Great Name's Sake (videos)
- Should we call His name Jesus? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
- The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
- Is There a Hidden Message in the names in Genesis 5?
- What a Beautiful Name: The Name of Jesus
Read about other names in the Bible:
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIEDon Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
CanJEWSgo toHEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAMSay on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge