Last week I shared how Psalms 22, 23, and 24 reveal the Person and works of our Shepherd, the Lord Jesus Christ. He is our Saviour, our Sanctifier, and our Sovereign. The teaching on those psalms was from a four-week, 2010 Bible study I taught on seeing Jesus as our Shepherd. Prior to teaching that study, I had completed a study on the names of God. In preparing for the teaching on Psalm 23, I began to see many names of God revealed by the works of the Great Shepherd. I believe this is a remez (something hidden) that was revealed to me by the Holy Spirit– the best Teacher in the whole world. I hope you enjoy this teaching.
The Names of God
The compound names begin with the name Jehovah or El. Jehovah is the Anglicized form of Jehovah. It is a pronunciation of the covenant name of God YHVH, which is also pronounced Yahweh. This name is translated as LORD in our Bibles. The name El is translated as God. Descriptive Hebrew words are added to Jehovah or El to create a compound name that reveals God’s work in our lives or gives insight into His nature and character. The compound names of God are very helpful in understanding many of God’s attributes.
Compound Names of God — Jehovah + a Descriptive Word
Jehovah-jireh – The Lord Will See To It – Genesis 22:14
Jehovah-rawfaw – The Lord That Makes Whole – Exodus 15:26; Jeremiah 33:6; 1 Kings 18:30; Job 5:17,18; Psalms 103:3; Psalms 146:3
Jehovah-nissi – The Lord Our Banner – Exodus 17:15
Jehovah-shalom – The Lord Gives Peace – Judges 6:24
Jehovah-tsidkeneau – The Lord Our Righteousness – Jeremiah 23:6
Jehovah-raah – The Lord My Shepherd – Psalm 23:1 (shepherd); Ezekiel 34:11-15 (companion); Jeremiah 3:12-16 (pastors); Judges 14:20 (friend); Exodus 33:11 (friend)
Jehovah-Shama – The Lord is Present – Ezekiel 48:35; Exodus 33:14; Matthew 28:20; Hebrews 13:5; John 14:16-17; Romans 8:9
Jehovah-InKaddesh – The Lord Which Sanctifies – Leviticus 20:7-8, Lev 21:15, Lev 21:23, Lev 22:9, Lev 22:16
Compound Names of God — El + a Descriptive Word
El-shaddai – The Almighty God – Genesis 17:1, Gen 28:3, Gen 35:11; Ruth 1:20-21; Ruth 31 x in Job; Ezekiel 10:5
El-elyon – The Most High God – Genesis 14:19, 22; Deuteronomy 32:8; Isaiah 14:14
El-elyon – Possessor of Heaven and Earth, Part II – Genesis 14:19, 22; Deuteronomy 32:8; Isaiah 14:14, Daniel 3: 26, 4:17; Psalm 56:2
Elohim – Kurios – Matthew 22:44; Luke 19:31, 33, 34; Matthew 12:8; John 13:13; Matthew 6:24; Revelation 17:14
(Excerpted from the article, “In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?” Read the names for Jesus and the Holy Spirit.)
A Remez in Psalm 23
What’s a remez? In Jewish hermeneutics (interpretation of Scripture), a remez is a hidden message, or a deeper meaning found below the surface or behind the words. You can read about a remez in Revelation 7 here and one in Genesis 5 here.
Now let’s read Psalm 23 and find the 11 names of our great God hidden in this psalm. The names are revealed by His promises and His works and they remind us of our God’s ever-present love, peace, comfort, help, and more!
The Names of God in Psalm 23
Vs 1 The LORD is my shepherd
[He is Jehovah-Raah—The Lord, my Shepherd!]
I shall not want.
[He is Jehovah-Jireh—The Lord, my Provider!]
Vs 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
[He is Jehovah-Shalom—The Lord, my Peace!]
Vs 3 He restoreth my soul
[He is Jehovah-Rophe—The Lord, my Healer!]:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
[He is Jehovah-Tsidkeneau—The Lord of Righteousness!]
Vs 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
[He is Jehovah-Shama—The Lord is Present!]
Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
[He is Jehovah-Ezer—The Lord, my Help!]
Vs 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
[He is Jehovah-Nissi—The Lord, my Standard of Victory!]
Thou anointest my head with oil;
[He is Jehovah-InKaddesh— The Lord, my Holiness, my Sanctification!]
My cup runneth over.
[He is Jehovah-Manah—The Lord my Portion!]
Vs 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
[He is Jehovah-Cheleq—The Lord my Inheritance!]
Read more about shepherds:
Read more about the names of God in the Bible:
- In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua, and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?
- For His Great Name's Sake (videos)
- Should we call His name Jesus? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
- The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
- What a Beautiful Name: The Name of Jesus
- What is the New Name Spoken of in Revelation 2:17?
- His be the Victor's Name (song video)
- Forty Titles of Jesus to Know Him Better and Love Him More
- Is Ehyeh, Yahweh, Jehovah, or Jesus God’s Name?
Read about other names in the Bible:
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas