By Shari Abbott, Reasons for Hope* Jesus
Last week I shared how Psalms 22, 23 and 24 reveal the Person and works of our Shepherd, the Lord Jesus Christ. He is our Saviour, our Sanctifier and our Sovereign. The teaching on those psalms was from a four-week Bible study I taught on seeing Jesus as our Shepherd. The final week I focused on the names of God and concluded with the names of Jehovah as revealed in Psalm 23.
We all know and love Psalm 23, but did you know that the psalm reveals 11 names of God? This is likely something you have not seen before. We’ll identify the names in Psalm 23, but first let’s understand the many compound names of God found in the Old Testament.
The compound names begin with the name Jehovah or El. Jehovah is the Anglicized form of Jehovah. It is a pronunciation of the covenant name of God YHVH, which is also pronounced Yahweh. This name is translated as LORD in our Bibles. The name El is translated as God. Descriptive Hebrew words are added to Jehovah or El to create a compound name that reveal God’s work in our lives or gives insight to His nature and character. The compound names of God are very helpful in understanding many of God’s attributes.
Compound Names of God
Jehovah-jireh – The Lord Will See To It – Genesis 22:14
Jehovah-nissi – The Lord Our Banner – Exodus 17:15
Jehovah-shalom – The Lord Gives Peace – Judges 6:24
Jehovah-tsidkeneau – The Lord Our Righteousness – Jeremiah 23:6
(Excerpted from the article, “In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?” Read the names for Jesus and the Holy Spirit.)
A Remez in Psalm 23
What’s a remez? In Jewish hermeneutics (interpretation of Scripture), a remez is a hidden message, or a deeper meaning found below the surface or behind the words. You can read about a remez in Revelation 7 here and one in Genesis 5 here.
Now let’s read Psalm 23 and find the 11 names of our great God hidden in this psalm. The names are revealed by His promises and His works and they remind us of our God’s ever present love, peace, comfort, help, and more!
The Names of God in Psalm 23
Vs 1 The LORD is my shepherd
[He is Jehovah-Raah—The Lord, my Shepherd!]
I shall not want.
[He is Jehovah-Jireh—The Lord, my Provider!]
Vs 2 He maketh me to lie down in green pastures: he leadeth me beside the still waters.
[He is Jehovah-Shalom—The Lord, my Peace!]
Vs 3 He restoreth my soul
[He is Jehovah-Rophe—The Lord, my Healer!]:
He leadeth me in the paths of righteousness for his name’s sake.
[He is Jehovah-Tsidkeneau—The Lord of Righteousness!]
Vs 4 Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I will fear no evil: for thou art with me;
[He is Jehovah-Shama—The Lord is Present!]
Thy rod and thy staff they comfort me.
[He is Jehovah-Ezer—The Lord, my Help!]
Vs 5 Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies:
[He is Jehovah-Nissi—The Lord, my Standard of Victory!]
Thou anointest my head with oil;
[He is Jehovah-InKaddesh— The Lord, my Holiness, my Sanctification!]
My cup runneth over.
[He is Jehovah-Manah—The Lord my Portion!]
Vs 6 Surely goodness and mercy shall follow me all the days of my life:
and I will dwell in the house of the LORD for ever.
[He is Jehovah-Cheleq—The Lord my Inheritance!]
Read more about shepherds:
Read more about names of God in the Bible:
- In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?
- For His Great Name's Sake (videos)
- Should we call His name Jesus? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
- The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
- Is There a Hidden Message in the names in Genesis 5?
- What a Beautiful Name: The Name of Jesus
Read about other names in the Bible:
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store