Peter asked Jesus how many times he should forgive a brother who sins against him:
Mat 18:21 Then Peter came to Him and said, “Lord, how often shall my brother sin against me, and I forgive him? Up to seven times?”
Seven times is certainly more generous than our often quoted “three strikes, you’re out” limitation on forgiveness. But Jesus responded to Peter with,
“I do not say to you, up to seven times, but up to seventy times seven” (Mat 18:22)
Why 70 x 7?
Many have suggested seventy times seven is a perfect completion as exemplified in both judgment and restoration:
- In Judgment
Gen 4:24 If Cain shall be avenged sevenfold, truly Lamech seventy and sevenfold.
- In Restoration
The descendants of Shem, Ham, and Japeth after the flood were seventy
There were seventy descendants of Jacob in Egypt at the time of Joseph
Israel was restored to their promised land seventy years after the Babylonian captivity
Daniel’s seventy weeks will complete the time when the Most Holy will be anointed
70 x7 is a complete restoration; the perfect forgiveness of God
Another Consideration? 70 x 7 = 490
Two well respected Bible teachers suggested another meaning to the significance of these numbers: 70 x 7 = 490. Clarence Larkin (1850-1924) suggested that God fellowshipped with man in 490 year periods. He gave these seven periods of 490 years each:
. From Adam to Enoch
. From Enoch to Noah
. From Noah to Abraham
. From Abraham to Moses
. From Exodus to the 1st Temple
. From the 1st Temple to the edict of Artaxerxes
. From the the edict of Artaxerxes (Neh. 2) to the the triumphal entry of Jesus on Palm Sunday (483 years) + the seven years of tribulation [Read: What is the Seventieth Week of Daniel?] that ends with the second coming of Jesus.
In the last 490 year period is a “parentheses” of time. Between the Triumphal entry of Jesus and His second coming is the Church Age of 2,000 years.
Bible teacher Chuck Missler (1934-2018) defined how God dealt directly with His people, Israel, defining four 490 year periods of time. In each time period, there were “seasons” when God was not directly governing them or they were in a period of disobedience. Chuck Missler constructed this chart:
1) Abraham to the Exodus
Promise (Gen 12:4) 75 years
(Gal 3:17) +430 years
Ishmael (Gen 16:16;21:5) -15 years
2) Exodus to the TempleBegun: 1 Kgs 6 – 8 594 yearsCompleted: 1 Kgs 6:38; + 7 years601 yearsServitudes: JudgesMesopotamia 3:8 – 8 yearsMoabites 3:12-14 – 18 yearsCanaanites 4:2,3 – 20 yearsMidianites 6:1 – 7 yearsAmmonites 10:7,8 – 18 yearsPhilistines 13:1 – 40 years-111 years
Begun: 1 Kgs 6 – 8 594 years
Completed: 1 Kgs 6:38 + 7 years
3) The Temple to the Edict of Artaxerxes
1 Kgs 8:1-66 1005 B.C.
Neh 2:1 445 B.C. 560 years
Babylonian Captivity -70 years
4) Artaxerxes to the Second Coming
Artaxerxes to the 1st Advent
“The Sixty Nine Weeks” 483 years
[Church interval] ?
The Seventieth Week” +7 years
It’s interesting that God fellowshipped with man and dealt with Israel in 490 year periods and that Jesus chose 490 times as the number for forgiveness to be given to others. Of course we know, that God forgave them many more than 490 times.
This shows the abundant compassion and mercy of God and his generous unmerited forgiveness. And that is exactly what Jesus continued to teach them in His parable of the unforgiving servant. Watch for next week’s article on Matthew 18:21-35.
We have been forgiven much, so we are to do the same. The forgiveness we have received from Jesus was unmerited and freely given, so we are to do the same. Forgiveness brings restoration in relationships and peace to our souls.
Eph 4:32 And be kind to one another, tenderhearted, forgiving one another, just as God in Christ forgave you.
Col 3:13 Forbearing one another, and forgiving one another, if any man have a quarrel against any: even as Christ forgave you, so also do you.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas