Ehyeh, Yahweh, Jehovah, or Jesus? What name are we to call God? First, understand that Jehovah (sometimes written Yehovah) is the anglicized version of the name Yahweh, the name God gave to Moses. So the names, Yahweh, Yehovah, and Jehovah really are the same name. With that established, let’s now understand God’s name by starting at the beginning.
In the beginning God [Elohim] created the heaven and the earth.
“Elohim” is translated “God” in our Bibles. But it does not identify who God is or which god it is. “Elohim” is a generic word that simply refers to deity. It is used of both our Creator God and of other “gods” (small letter “g”). Of course, we know in Genesis 1 that “Elohim” is a reference to our Creator God because of the context. We read further and find His Person is revealed by His works.
So where in Scripture do we find Elohim revealed as our God, the Almighty God? And how do we differentiate Him from other elohim?
The first reference we find is in the second chapter of Genesis, where Moses used God’s name and wrote to give further details about His creative work.
These are the generations of the heavens and of the earth when they were created, in the day that the LORD God made the earth and the heavens,
Here is the first mention of God’s name in the Bible. “LORD” is the Hebrew word Jehovah (also spelled Yehovah or Yahweh) and it’s used in conjunction with elohim (the word for “god” in Genesis 1) to specify the Almighty God who created all things.
While God’s name of “Jehovah” was introduced by Moses, here in Genesis 2, we must remember that the Torah was written by Moses long after creation. This name was not given to man until God made it known to Moses at the burning bush (Exodus 3). Jehovah/Yahweh was a name unknown to Adam and Eve, Noah, Abraham, Isaac, Jacob, and all others prior to the time recorded when God called Moses. At that time, God began to reveal Himself in a new, and more personal and intimate, way. At the burning bush, Moses was invited to stand on holy ground. He was no longer standing on a place of the world, but on a place that was sanctified (set apart) because of God’s presence (Ex 3:5). And God said:
“I am the God of your father; the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob.”
Still here, we only have the title “God” (elohim). Moses responded and asked,
Exodus 3:13 “Indeed, when I come to the children of Israel and say to them, ‘The God of your fathers has sent me to you,’ and they say to me, ‘What is His name?’ what shall I say to them?”
And God answered,
Exodus 3:14 “I AM THAT I AM: and he said, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, I AM hath sent me unto you.”
What Moses heard in Hebrew is “ehyeh asher ehyeh.” We translate “ehyeh” in English as “I AM” (spelled “hayah” in Strong’s Dictionary, and an older form is “ehweh”).
The Great I AM
“I AM” is the English translation of the Hebrew word “ehyeh” (ehweh). In the Hebrew language, “ehyeh” has every tense of the verb “to be.” It can be translated as “I was, I am, and I shall be.” Therefore, we can understand it to mean that God was conveying to Moses: “I shall always be the eternally existent, unchanging God.”
So Moses would have heard, “I was that I was, ” I am that I am,” and “I will be that I will be.” God was saying:
- Whatever it is that I was, I was that (eg. Creator of all things, Covenant Maker, etc).
- Whatever it is that I am, I am that (eg. the One who is calling you – vs 10, the One who is with you – vs 12, etc)
- And whatever it is that I will be, I will be that (eg. the One who will fulfill His promises, who will never change, and so much more).
“Eheh” is a word that conveys time from eternity past to eternity future. When we read “I AM” as the name of God, it reveals His eternality. It also reveals His attribute of faithfulness and His immutable nature. “Ehyeh” tells who He was, who He is, and who He will forever be. And it reminds us that all of God’s attributes are eternal, i.e. His holiness, love, grace, mercy, truth, faithfulness, and justice. He IS these things. In contrast, we are only sometimes these things. But God has always been these things, and He will always be these things.
“I AM” — is both the LORD God and Jesus
It’s important to understand the eternality of “I AM” (ehyeh/ehweh) to know that the LORD God (Yahweh Elohim) and Jesus the Christ (Yeshua Ha Mashiach) are one. The eternality links them together as one God. Thomas Adams (1583–1653) wrote:
“ehyeh is an eternal word, comprehending three times: that was, that is, and that is to come… to testify of the equality of the Son to the Father, Scripture gives the same eternality to Jesus that it doth to Jehovah…. Therefore Jesus was not only Christus Dei, the anointed of God, but also Christus Deus, God himself anointed.”
Back to Exodus 3 and the burning bush. When Moses asked God what name he should give to the children of Israel to tell them who had sent him (Ex 3:13), God first said that His name is “I AM THAT I AM” (ehyeh asher ehyeh, Exodus 3:14). But then God gave Moses a different name to tell the children of Israel:
And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD [Yahweh, or Yehovah] God [Elohim] of your fathers, the God of Abraham, the God of Isaac, and the God of Jacob, hath sent me unto you: this is my name forever, and this is my memorial unto all generations.
This now raises the question, why did God say His name is “Ehyeh” in Exodus 3:14 and yet Moses was to use the name “Yahweh” when speaking to the children of Israel?
Exo 3:15 And God said moreover unto Moses, Thus shalt thou say unto the children of Israel, The LORD [Yahweh/Yehovah] God [Elohim] … hath sent me unto you: this is my name forever…
“Ehyeh” (also spelled “ehweh”) and “Yahweh” both designate the eternality and immutability of our God. And when God said “Ehyeh,” He was speaking His own name–speaking in first person. When He gave Moses His name to speak to the children of Israel, He gave Moses the name in the third person. Why? Because if Moses had said, “Ehweh [I AM] has sent me to you,” he would have been speaking in the first person and claiming eternality for himself.
Ehweh = I was, I am, I will be
Yahweh = He [God] was, He [God] is, He [God] will be
So Moses said, Yahweh (He who was, is, and always will be — translated LORD) Elohim (translated God) has sent me to you. (Gen 3:15) Only God can say Ehweh about Himself.
Jesus is Yahweh
In Jesus’ earthly ministry, He made claims to be Yahweh Elohim — by His works, by His words, and especially by claiming His eternality.
John 8:58 Jesus said unto them, Verily, verily, I say unto you, Before Abraham was, I AM.
In Greek, we read “I AM” as “ego eimi.” So how do we know Jesus was intending this to be understood as “Ehweh,” and not just a way to express a thought (e.g. the seven “I am” statements). Because Jesus was clearly speaking of time, or existence in John 8:58. He was born in the flesh and within the bounds of our time dimension, yet He claimed a pre-existence before Abraham. That reveals His eternality. And that was a claim to be, ”Ehweh” — I WAS, I AM, and I WILL BE. Again, only God can claim such eternality of Himself.
Jesus is the Eternal God
And, Jesus is the One True God among all elohim.
1 Cor 8:5-6 For even if there are so-called gods, whether in heaven or on earth (as there are many gods and many lords), yet for us there is one God, the Father, of whom are all things, and we for Him; and one Lord Jesus Christ, through whom are all things, and through whom we live.
In Exodus 3:15, at the burning bush, God told Moses to tell the Israelites that His name is “Jehovah” (Yahweh, Yehovah). And from that time on, Israelites have called Him by that name.
Deu 5:6-7 I am the LORD thy God [Yahweh your Elohim], which brought thee out of the land of Egypt, from the house of bondage. Thou shalt have none other gods [elohim] before me.
The Israelis of today call God “Jehovah,” but we know Him through further revelation as the second Person of the Trinity — Jesus, who is One with the Father. And most interesting, the name “Jesus” means “Jehovah Saves.”
Acts 4:10, 12 Be it known unto you all, and to all the people of Israel, that by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth… Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved.
Read more about the names of God in the Bible:
- In addition to Yahweh (YHVH), Yeshua, and Jesus, what other names for God are in the Bible?
- For His Great Name's Sake (videos)
- Should we call His name Jesus? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
- The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
- What a Beautiful Name: The Name of Jesus
- What is the New Name Spoken of in Revelation 2:17?
- His be the Victor's Name (song video)
- Forty Titles of Jesus to Know Him Better and Love Him More
- Is Ehyeh, Yahweh, Jehovah, or Jesus God’s Name?
- Names and Titles for the Holy Spirit
Read about other names in the Bible:
- Is Satan’s Real Name Lucifer? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- Is there a hidden message in the names in Revelation 7? Why is Dan missing?
- Is There a Hidden Message in the names in Genesis 5?
Read about the Love of Jesus:
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED