The Book of Life contains the names of all people who have ever lived, and the Bible says it will be opened at the Great White Throne Judgment (Rev 20:11ff). The Great White Throne Judgment will be a judgment of works. The dead will stand before God at that judgment and be judged for their own works (Rev 20:12). They will be found wanting and their names will be blotted out of the Book of Life. Remember, those who have loved God and trusted in Jesus are not judged by their works. They are judged by Jesus’ work, which is the salvation in which they stand. In Luke 10:20, Jesus said to rejoice because our names are written in Heaven. When we got saved, our names were written into another book, Jesus’ book — the Lamb’s Book of Life.
Two Separate Books?
This is often debated and there are varying opinions. Some think it’s one book, and the names of the lost are blotted out. Others, myself included, believe it is books (plural). This is why:
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books [plural, means two or more] were opened: and another book was opened [now, three or more], which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books [the two or more first mentioned], according to their works.
This verse establishes that the Book of Life is separate from “the books” (first mention) and “another book” (mentioned second).
The Book of Life
The Book of Life is believed to be God’s book and that it’s a record of the names of every person who has ever lived. Another reference to the Book of Life is found in the psalms.
Ps. 69:28: “Let them be blotted out of the book of the living and not be written with the righteous.”
“Written with the righteous” and “the book of the living” suggest this is a reference to the Lamb’s Book of Life. Revelation 21 tells about the New Jerusalem (the eternal state) and that only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life will enter in (Rev 21:27).
The Other Books
I believe that the books (plural) opened to judge the dead (in Rev 20:12) are the books of their works. We know that the works of all who are unsaved are like filthy rags before the Lord (Isa 64:6). We also know that those who have trusted in Christ are not judged by their works, but by His work of paying for sins. Their sins are washed away and they have received His imputed righteousnes (Read: What are the Doctrines of Imputed, Infused, and Imparted Righteousness?) Those who have not trusted in Christ will be judged by their own works, including every sinful thought, word, and deed, so there may be many more than two books. Since their sins have not been forgiven and they have not received the righteousness of Jesus, they will be judged sinful and unworthy; and their names will be blotted out of the Book of Life (Ps 69:28).
Is Your Name in the Lamb’s Book?
- Rejoice, if your name is written in Heaven. (Luke 10:20)
- Rejoice, if your name is written with the righteous. (Ps 69:28)
- Again I say, rejoice, if your name is written in the Lamb’s Book of Life. (Rev 21:27)
If you are not sure, don’t hesitate. You do not want to stand before God at the Great White Throne Judgment and have the book of your works opened. You will be judged, found guilty, and your name will be blotted out of God’s Book of Life. Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. The day will come when it’s too late to change your destiny. Do so now! Click here: What If You Die Today?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED