The Book of Life contains the names of all people who have ever lived, and the Bible says it will be opened at the Great White Throne Judgment (Rev 20:11ff). The Great White Throne Judgment will be a judgment of works. The dead will stand before God at that judgment and be judged for their own works (Rev 20:12). They will be found wanting and their names will be blotted out of the Book of Life. Remember, those who have loved God and trusted in Jesus are not judged by their works. They are judged by Jesus’ work, which is the salvation in which they stand. In Luke 10:20, Jesus said to rejoice because our names are written in Heaven. When we got saved, our names were written into another book, Jesus’ book — the Lamb’s Book of Life.
Two Separate Books?
This is often debated and there are varying opinions. Some think it’s one book, and the names of the lost are blotted out. Others, myself included, believe it is books (plural). This is why:
Rev 20:12 And I saw the dead, small and great, stand before God; and the books [plural, means two or more] were opened: and another book was opened [now, three or more], which is the book of life: and the dead were judged out of those things which were written in the books [the two or more first mentioned], according to their works.
This verse establishes that the Book of Life is separate from “the books” (first mention) and “another book” (mentioned second).
The Book of Life
The Book of Life is believed to be God’s book and that it’s a record of the names of every person who has ever lived. Another reference to the Book of Life is found in the psalms.
Ps. 69:28: “Let them be blotted out of the book of the living and not be written with the righteous.”
“Written with the righteous” and “the book of the living” suggest this is a reference to the Lamb’s Book of Life. Revelation 21 tells about the New Jerusalem (the eternal state) and that only those whose names are written in the Lamb’s Book of Life will enter in (Rev 21:27).
The Other Books
I believe that the books (plural) opened to judge the dead (in Rev 20:12) are the books of their works. We know that the works of all who are unsaved are like filthy rags before the Lord (Isa 64:6). We also know that those who have trusted in Christ are not judged by their works, but by His work of paying for sins. Their sins are washed away and they have received His imputed righteousnes (Read: What are the Doctrines of Imputed, Infused, and Imparted Righteousness?) Those who have not trusted in Christ will be judged by their own works, including every sinful thought, word, and deed, so there may be many more than two books. Since their sins have not been forgiven and they have not received the righteousness of Jesus, they will be judged sinful and unworthy; and their names will be blotted out of the Book of Life (Ps 69:28).
Is Your Name in the Lamb’s Book?
- Rejoice, if your name is written in Heaven. (Luke 10:20)
- Rejoice, if your name is written with the righteous. (Ps 69:28)
- Again I say, rejoice, if your name is written in the Lamb’s Book of Life. (Rev 21:27)
If you are not sure, don’t hesitate. You do not want to stand before God at the Great White Throne Judgment and have the book of your works opened. You will be judged, found guilty, and your name will be blotted out of God’s Book of Life. Rev 20:15 And whosoever was not found written in the book of life was cast into the lake of fire. The day will come when it’s too late to change your destiny. Do so now! Click here: What If You Die Today?
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store