Is Easter really an important day? Isn’t it just like Christmas, becoming more and more commercial? And hasn’t it become more about Easter eggs and candy than about our Passover Lamb?
Before considering the question at hand, “What if we skipped Easter?” let’s consider the importance of the season of Lent, the time preceding Easter Sunday.
WATCH THE VIDEOS BELOW
Remember, Repent, and Return
Lent is the period of 40 days prior to Easter (Sundays are not counted), and it’s a time to remember, repent, return, and find rest (Read more: What is Lent? and 40 Titles of Jesus for 40 Days). It’s a time to prepare our hearts and our minds for the coming celebration of remembering the Lord’s death, burial, and resurrection.
Take a minute and watch this short video:
Another “R” in Lent – Reach Out
While Lent is a time to remember the Lord and all He has done for us, to repent of our sins, and to return to Him, it should also be a time of reaching out to those in need of forgiveness of their sins and salvation for their souls.
If you are not actively sharing your faith, there is no better time to start than during this season of Lent.
So, “What If We Skipped Easter?”
Of course, we can remember, repent, return and reach in any season of the year and on any day of the year. However, the season of Lent and the day of Easter are very special. Lent is the most significant season, and Easter is the most significant day, on the Christian calendar. Lent surpasses Advent and Easter outshines Christmas. While Christmas is the time when God sent His Son to be born of a woman, Easter is the time when God gave His Son to die for the sins of the world.
Isa 9:6 For unto us a Child is born, Unto us a Son is given…
Yes, Advent and Christmas day bring opportunities to remember God’s great gift to us—Jesus. But even more so, the time we call Lent when we remember the Lord’s life, and our celebration of Easter when Jesus rose from the grave defeating sin and death, are the greatest times of rejoicing for Christians.
Who Needs Easter?
Every person alive needs Easter. We all need to find our rest in Jesus and we do so by looking to the resurrection. Yes, Jesus died, and paid for our sins, but had He not risen we would have no hope. Because He died, we die also. Because He lives, we can live. Easter is the greatest day because it commemorates the greatest event in the history of the world—the event that opened the way to eternal life in Christ to all who will repent and believe.
Celebrate Easter As It Should Be Celebrated
Make Easter a day of renewed motivation. Repent and return to a closer relationship with the One who gave His life so we can live. Recommit this season to be willing to serve Jesus as He has called us to do: “Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age.” Amen. (Mat 28:19-20)
Share the Gospel of Saving Grace with Someone Today!
Tell someone who doesn’t know Jesus how they can be born again (John 3:3-8) and walk in newness of life (Ro 6:4-5). This Easter just might mark their resurrection day too!
Honor Jesus by sharing His love with others — during Lent, during Holy Week, on Easter Sunday…and on every day of the year.
About Lent, Holy Week, Easter, and Resurrection Life
- You'll Never Walk Alone (video)
- What is Lent? Should I Give Up Something? (video)
- Lent: 40 Titles for 40 Days (download our "40 Titles" for Lenten devotions)
- This Time Called Lent (video)
- Prepare for Lent (video)
- Christian Internet Forwards? The Rest of “The Birdcage” Story?(video)
- Open Your Eyes to The Full Gospel
- Are you glad to see Jesus?
- Ponder the Prophecies of Jesus’ Mission (video and downloadable file)
- What If We Skipped Easter This Year?
- Walking with Jesus – Tested by the Chief Priests and Elders
- What is Maundy Thursday? The Basin & The Towel
- What’s your Judas experience? The Pain of Betrayal
- What Do We Know about Judas? This Might Surprise You.
- Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday?
- Thursday Crucifixion? Do these two reasons “nail” it?
- Why do we call it good [Friday]?
- Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
- How is Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the Crimson Worm? A Remez In Psalm 22?
- Who do you need to reconcile with today?
- Who Killed Jesus?
- Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
- Was Jesus Forsaken by His Father?
- What Caused the Centurion to Say: “Surely This Was a Righteous Man” (a song from the foot of the cross)
- Sadness and Despair: The Darkest Days of All Time
- Journey to the Cross: Maundy Thursday and Good Friday
- The Days of Darkness
- He’s back….and it changed everything!
- The Lord is Risen Indeed! Hallelujah!
- Because He Rose: The resurrection changed everything! (video)
- Obituary of Jesus: Body Stolen or Risen? What do you say?
- What’s the Meaning of the Folded Napkin in the tomb?
- Keep Easter Alive in Your Heart: He Came Back (video)
- The Only Soul-Saver, Sin-Forgiver, Chain-Breaker, Pain-Taker, Way-Maker, Hope-Giver: Jesus
- Keep Looking Up
- Praise God, He’s Alive
- Because He Lives, I Can Face Tomorrow (video)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” a Christian Song? (video: Easter version of Cohen' "Hallelujah")
- How Should You Observe Lent? article
- How Should You Observe Lent? video
- Hosanna -- Palm Sunday (Jesus Wept) (video)
- Maundy Thursday until Easter Sunday (video)
Watch NOW...You will be blessed.
The Top Ten from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.