[Watch Video Below]
We read the accounts of the crucifixion in the Bible and we often see it portrayed in movies and videos. The day in which Jesus was crucified was a day of darkness and death— and it seems to be anything but “good.”
The scourging upon the body of Jesus is horrifying and the excruciating pain inflicted while He hung on the cross is disturbing to read about or to watch depicted. However, it’s important that we do read the biblical accounts and that we do watch depictions of what happened on that day. It’s important that we remember what our Lord endured and why He endured it. It moves us to a deeper level of gratitude and our hearts are filled again with thanks for His sacrifice that bought our salvation. The gift of our salvation cost God so much and He has so graciously given it to us.
The Afflictions Jesus Endured
- He endured the betrayal of Judas.
- He endured the denial of Peter.
- He endured the accusations of the Scribes and Pharisees.
- He endured the questioning by Pilate.
- He endured the injustice of a unfair trial.
- He endured the scourging of His body.
- He endured the hypocrisy of a scarlet robe.
- He endured the thorny crown pressed into his head.
- He endured the mocking of the crowd.
- He endured the rejection of His people when they favored releasing Barabbas.
- He endured the sentence of death when they called out “crucify Him.”
- He endured the walk to Calvary.
- He endured the nails pounded into His hands and feet.
- He endured the hanging on the cross.
- He endured the sins of the world put upon Him.
- He endured the wrath of God poured out on Him in judgment.
- He endured the physical agony.
- He endured the spiritual estrangement.
- He endured ’til the end and He gave up His life.
Wow, that doesn’t sound very good. In fact, it sounds horrendous and we cry at the thought of what Jesus endured. So why do we call it good? Jesus asked a similar question when a man came to Him and asked, “…Good Master, what good thing shall I do, that I may have eternal life?” (Matthew 19:16) Jesus responded by asking, “why do you call Me good?” And then Jesus reminded the man, “there is none good but One, that is God.” In doing so, Jesus was telling the man that He is God!
So why do we call it Good Friday?
Just as Jesus declared Himself to be God (who alone is good), the early church declared the day in which Jesus was crucified to be good. It was the day in which our Lord and Saviour endured the excruciating pain and suffering of the cross. And yet, even as Jesus hung on the cross, He continued His work as the Suffering Servant who came to serve (Mark 10:45). Until Jesus’ last breath He served as the One who was sent by our good God to rescue man from bondage to sin and the curse of death. With His last words, Jesus continued to minister to the people in His presence:
- He petitioned the Father for their forgiveness: “Father, forgive them, for they do not know what they are doing” (Luke 23:34).
- He gave salvation to the thief on the cross: “I tell you the truth, today you will be with me in paradise” (Luke 23:43).
- He entrusted the care of His mother to His beloved disciple John, and the love of His mother He gave to John: “He said unto his mother, Woman, behold thy son! Then said to the disciple, Behold thy mother!” (John 19:26-27)
- He quoted the words of a psalm—a very important psalm that should have opened their eyes and pricked their hearts: “Eloi, Eloi, lama sabachthani?” which means, “My God, my God, why have you forsaken me?” (Matthew 26:46, Mark 15:34, Psalm 22:1)
- He spoke of His thirst (“I thirst”) so that prophesy would be fulfilled in their ears (John 19:28, Psalm 69:21)
- He declared to them that the work for which the Father had sent Him was in fact complete, “It is finished!” (John 19:30)
- He told the people where He was going. . . “Father, into Your hands I commit my spirit” (Luke 23:46)
There were many afflictions Jesus endured that day. And there were seven, short statements that Jesus spoke as He hung on the cross. Jesus declared His atoning work with one Greek word, as He cried out, “Tetelestai.” It was not a cry of defeat. It was not a cry of agony or suffering. It was a cry of completion! The cross was not a tragedy. It was a victory! Jesus had paid the penalty for sin and when He cried out, tetelestai, He loudly proclaimed, “IT IS FINISHED.”
What’s so good about Good Friday? Jesus died for us. This was the amazing grace, and the perfect fulfillment, of His Father’s plan of redemption. His blood paid the penalty price for our sin. His blood can wash us clean from the stain of sin. And another thing that’s good about Good Friday? Sunday is coming. Resurrection is on the horizon. And because He died and rose from the dead, we are raised from the dead to the newness of life in Him.
And that’s why we call it GOOD Friday!
I have finished the work which You have given Me to do. (John 17:4)
Bearing shame and scoffing rude,
In my place condemned He stood;
Sealed my pardon with His blood.
Hallelujah! What a Savior!
Man of Sorrows
Philip P. Bliss, 1875
***Lent: 40 Titles for 40 Days (Download NOW: 40 Titles for Lenten Devotions)
What is Lent? Should I Give Up Something? (Article and Video)
This Time Called Lent (Video)
Prepare for Lent (Video)
Lent Reflections (Video)
How Should You Observe Lent? (Article)
How Should You Observe Lent? (Reflect and Prepare short video)
Have You Sat At The Master’s Table? (John 13-17)
About Holy Week
The Last Supper
Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Thursday Crucifixion? Do these two reasons “nail” it?
Why do we call it good [Friday]?
Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
How is Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the Crimson Worm? A Remez In Psalm 22?
Who do you need to reconcile with today?
Who Killed Jesus?
Since Jesus was the Passover LAMB, Why Didn't God Provide a Lamb in Genesis 22?
Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
Was Jesus Forsaken by His Father?
The centurion's song from the foot of the cross: “Surely This Was a Righteous Man”
Journey to the Cross: Maundy Thursday and Good Friday
How Do We Know Psalm 22 Is About The Cross?
Three Days in the Heart of the Earth
About Easter and Resurrection Life
Because He Lives, I Can Face Tomorrow (video)
Christ the Lord is Risen Today, Alleluia (video)
A Place in the Sun (Son) (video)
You'll Never Walk Alone (video)
How to Close Your Eyes and Really SEE Jesus!
Open Your Eyes to The Full Gospel
Are you glad to see Jesus?
Ponder the Prophecies of Jesus’ Mission (video and downloadable file)
What If We Skipped Easter This Year?
He’s back….and it changed everything!
The Lord is Risen Indeed! Hallelujah!
Because He Rose: The resurrection changed everything! (video)
What’s the Meaning of the Folded Napkin in the tomb?
Keep Easter Alive in Your Heart: He Came Back (video)
The Only Soul-Saver, Sin-Forgiver, Chain-Breaker, Pain-Taker, Way-Maker, Hope-Giver: Jesus
Keep Looking Up
Praise God, He’s Alive
Christian Internet Forwards? The Rest of “The Birdcage” Story? (video)
Ways to Glorify God - Bookmark
Watch NOW...You will be blessed.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement to us. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas