I get a lot of Internet forwards about God, the Bible and faith. Should I forward them? Is this a good way to share my faith?
Knowledge of God’s truths is necessary to determine if a forward is of value for learning about God, for growing in faith, and to discern if it should be shared with friends and family. We are told to search the Scriptures to learn if things are true (Acts 17:11), and Internet forwards are no different that anything we read, see, or hear. Check everything against God’s Word.
While there are many Internet forwards that present good biblical teachings, there are also those that have clearly false teachings (e.g. the story of the Folded Napkin, read here). There are also many that combine partial truths with inaccuracies and even deceptions. We must be discerning.
“The Birdcage” — an Internet Forward
“The Birdcage” is a widely circulated Internet forward. The story’s origin is from decades ago, when it was first shared by Paul Harvey on his popular 1970s radio show, “The Rest of the Story. ” Sadly, the story is not biblically accurate and has become an Internet Forward that teaches false doctrines.
Please note that Paul Harvey was known to be a strong, professing Christian. So it’s fair to believe that he was not aware of the errors in this teaching. We can reason that his intention was simply to illustrate the love of Jesus for mankind.
Watch the Video. Then we’ll discern the true and false teachings in…The Bird Cage
[bracketed information, mine]
Boston preacher Dr. S.D. Gordon, placed a beat up, bent, rusted old bird cage beside his pulpit when he told this story.
An unkempt, unwashed, little lad about 10 years old was coming up the alley swinging this old caved in birdcage with several tiny birds shivering on the floor of it.
The compassionate Dr. Gordon asked the boy where he got the birds. He said he trapped them.
Dr. Gordon asked what he was going to do with them. The boy said he was going to play with them and have fun with them.
The preacher said, “Sooner or later you’ll get tired of them. Then what are you going to do with them?”
The lad said, “I have some cats at home. They like birds. I’ll feed them to my cats.”
Dr. Gordon said, “Son, how much do you want for the birds?”
The boy, surprised, hesitated and said, “Mister, you don’t want these birds. There just plain old field birds. They can’t even sing. They’re ugly.”
The preacher said, “Just tell me. How much do you want?”
The grubby little lad thought about it. He squinted up one eye. He calculated and hesitated and said, “Two dollars?”
To his surprise Dr. Gordon reached into his pocket and handed the boy two, one dollar bills.
The preacher took the cage. The boy, in a wink, hurried up the alley.
In a sheltered crevice between buildings, Dr. Gordon opened the door of the cage and tapping on the rusty exterior he encouraged the little birds, one at a time, to find their way out through the narrow door and fly away.
Thus having accounted for the empty cage beside his pulpit, the preacher went on to tell what seemed, at first, like a separate story.
About how once upon a time, Jesus and the Devil had engaged in a negotiation. [Of course, this story is fiction.]
Satan had boasted how he’d baited a trap in Eden’s garden and caught himself a world full of people.
“What are you going to do with all those people in your cage” Jesus wanted to know. [This dialogue is fiction, but the question is whether or not it teaches biblical truths.]
The Devil said, “I’m going to play with em’, tease em’. Make them marry and divorce and fight and kill one another. I’m going to teach them to throw bombs on one another. I’m going to have fun with them!” [Now, that does have biblical support. Satan does desire to destroy man (1 Pet 5:8) and he is called the tempter (Matt 4:3, 1 Thess 3:5) who tempts us to sin.]
Jesus said, “You can’t have fun with them forever. When you get tired of playing, what are you going to do with them?”
Satan said, “Damn them! They’re no good anyway! Damn them! Kill them!” [Satan does not have the power to damn (condemn) man. Man’s sin condemns him (Isaiah 33:22, James 4:12). Nor does Satan have the authority to kill man. God is the giver of life and He determines man’s days (Job 1:21, Job 14:5, 1 Sam 2:6, Ps 139:16).]
Jesus said, “How much do you want for them?” [Jesus did not purchase us from Satan.]
Satan said, “You can’t be serious! If I sell them to you, they’ll just spit on you. They’ll hate you. They’ll hit you and beat you. They’ll hammer nails into you! They’re no good.”
Jesus said, “How much?”
Satan said, “All of your tears and all of your blood. That’s the price.”
Jesus took the cage, and paid the price, and opened the door. [Again,Jesus did not purchase us from Satan.]
The purpose of Easter in a dozen words: Jesus lived a good life in a wicked world to show us that it could be done. He died, and He rose again, to show us that we could do that too. Paul Harvey. Good day.
In addition to the clarifications above (in blue), let’s look more closely at the final discourse between Jesus and Satan in this story. It implies that Jesus purchased us from Satan. While it is true that Jesus ransomed us, it was not from Satan. Jesus paid the penalty for man’s sin and freed us from the bondage of sin and the penalty of death by purchasing us with His own blood.
Acts 20:28 Therefore take heed to yourselves and to all the flock, among which the Holy Spirit has made you overseers, to shepherd the church of God which He purchased with His own blood.
Jesus’ sacrficial deaht on the cross was not to buy us back from Satan. It was to satisfy the wrath of God. It was to atone (pay for) the sins of the world. Jesus’ pure blood was the payment for our sins, so we can be forgiven and washed clean (Rev 1:5).
Furthermore, Satan has never had any ownership over us. Everything created belongs to God.
Psa 24:1 The earth is the LORD’S, and the fulness thereof; the world, and they that dwell therein.
Psa 89:11 The heavens are Yours, the earth also is Yours; The world and all its fullness, You have founded them.
Some might wonder about the verse in which Jesus said,
John 8:44 “You are of your father the devil, and the desires of your father you want to do. He was a murderer from the beginning, and does not stand in the truth, because there is no truth in him. When he speaks a lie, he speaks from his own resources, for he is a liar and the father of it.”
Jesus was simply making a point that a “father,” in this case Satan, directs the will and actions of his children. This is a metaphorical statement to indicate the influence of the devil over people when they follow him. It does not mean they belong to him in the sense of his having ownership of them.
The Story’s Closing Summary About Easter
“The purpose of Easter in a dozen words: Jesus lived a good life in a wicked world to show us that it could be done. He died, and He rose again, to show us that we could do that too. Paul Harvey. Good day.”
Jesus lived much more than a “good life in a wicked world.” He lived a perfect, sinless life in a fallen world. And His life revealed to us that we CANNOT live the life that He lived. But we can rise again if we repent and trust in Jesus, because He will forgive us of our sins, save our souls, and give us eternal life with Him.
Origins of Such Teachings?
False teachings often come from well-intentioned people who create a story from their own thinking. It’s a tragedy that people would often rather hear a fabricated story that illustrates something about God, instead of reading the true, infallible story found in the Bible.
Read the Bible!
Study God’s word!
Be equipped to discern truth and lies!
Study to show thyself approved unto God,
a workman that needeth not to be ashamed,
rightly dividing the word of truth. (2 Tim 2:15)
The Birdcage is not a biblically accurate teaching. If you receive it in your email, do not forward it. And with all Internet forwards, be discerning. Check what is presented against the truths of the Bible.
- What is Lent? Should I Give Up Something? (video)
- Lent: 40 Titles for 40 Days (download our "40 Titles" for Lenten devotions)
- This Time Called Lent (video)
- Prepare for Lent (video)
- How Should You Observe Lent? article
- How Should You Observe Lent? (video)
About Holy Week
- Why Was a Ram Sacrificed in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
Blessed is the King -- A Palm Sunday video
- Hosanna -- Palm Sunday (Jesus Wept) (video)
- Walking with Jesus – Tested by the Chief Priests and Elders
- What is Maundy Thursday? The Basin & The Towel
- Maundy Thursday until Easter Sunday (video)
- What’s your Judas experience? The Pain of Betrayal
- What Do We Know about Judas? This Might Surprise You.
- Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday?
- Thursday Crucifixion? Do these two reasons “nail” it?
- Why do we call it good [Friday]?
- Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
- How is Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the Crimson Worm? A Remez In Psalm 22?
- Who do you need to reconcile with today?
- Who Killed Jesus?
- Since Jesus was the Passover LAMB, Why Didn't God Provide a Lamb in Genesis 22?
- Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
- Was Jesus Forsaken by His Father?
- The centurion's song from the foot of the cross: “Surely This Was a Righteous Man”
- Sadness and Despair: The Darkest Days of All Time
- Journey to the Cross: Maundy Thursday and Good Friday
- The Days of Darkness
- Obituary of Jesus: Body Stolen or Risen? What do you say?
About Easter and Resurrection Life
- Because He Lives, I Can Face Tomorrow (video)
- Christ the Lord is Risen Today, Alleluia (video)
- A Place in the Sun (Son) (video)
- You'll Never Walk Alone (video)
- How to Close Your Eyes and Really SEE Jesus!
- Open Your Eyes to The Full Gospel
- Are you glad to see Jesus?
- Ponder the Prophecies of Jesus’ Mission (video and downloadable file)
- What If We Skipped Easter This Year?
- He’s back….and it changed everything!
- The Lord is Risen Indeed! Hallelujah!
- Because He Rose: The resurrection changed everything! (video)
- What’s the Meaning of the Folded Napkin in the tomb?
- Keep Easter Alive in Your Heart: He Came Back (video)
- The Only Soul-Saver, Sin-Forgiver, Chain-Breaker, Pain-Taker, Way-Maker, Hope-Giver: Jesus
- Keep Looking Up
- Praise God, He’s Alive
- Christian Internet Forwards? The Rest of “The Birdcage” Story?(video)
- Ways to Glorify God - Bookmark
Watch NOW...You will be blessed.
If you do NOT know Jesus, click here.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. Subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email). SUBSCRIBE NOW
Please Share this Article on Social Media to Equip and Encourage Others
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR