Lent begins next Wednesday on the day the church has traditionally called Ash Wednesday. What is Lent all about? And what is the significance of Ash Wednesday? How should we observe this time on the church calendar? Should we give up something?
There are a lot of questions about Lent. Check out our article list below. [Scroll down for video and downloadable file of 40 Titles.]
Prepare for Lent
Now is the time to prepare for Lent. Some will give something up, as has been the tradition, but I suggest that you consider taking something up.
Make Lent a time of dedication to spending more time reading your Bible, reflecting on God’s teachings and revelation, and in prayer.
40 Days Looking to Jesus
Make Lent a time of focusing on Jesus. He is the reason for this season. Think about who Jesus is and all that He did during His earthly ministry. Then reflect upon all that Jesus does for you because you belong to Him.
I suggest that over the next forty days you consider the titles of Jesus found in His Word. Here’s a list of 40 (there are many more). Take a title each day leading up to Easter (Remember the 40 days do not include Sundays.)
Look up the Scripture for each title and ponder in your heart the gracious and generous work of our Lord Jesus Christ.
40 Ways to Know Jesus Better
- Wednesday: Advocate – 1 John 2:1
- Thursday: Author and Finisher of our Faith – Hebrews 12:2
- Friday: Bishop of Souls – 1 Peter 2:25
- Saturday: Bread of Life – John 6:35, 48
- Monday: Chief Shepherd – 1 Peter 5:4
- Tuesday: Christ – Matthew 1:16
- Wednesday: Cornerstone – Ephesians 2:20; 1 Peter 2:6
- Thursday: Deliverer – Romans 11:26
- Friday: Door – John 10:9
- Saturday: Emmanuel – Matthew 1:23
- Monday: Friend of Publicans and Sinners – Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:34
- Tuesday: God – John 1:1
- Wednesday: Good & Great Shepherd – John 10:11, 14; Hebrews 13:20
- Thursday: Head of the Body (the Church) – Colossians 1:18
- Friday: Holy One of God – Mark 1:24; Acts 3:14
- Saturday: Hope – Romans 15:13; Titus 2:13
- Monday: I Am – John 8:58
- Tuesday: Immanuel – Matt 1:21-25, Luke 8:22-25 (Isaiah 7:14)
- Wednesday: Jesus – Matt 1:21, Phil 2:9
- Thursday: Judge – Acts 10:42
- Friday: King of Kings, Lord of Lords – 1 Timothy 6:15, Revelation 19:16
- Saturday: Lamb of God – John 1:29
- Monday: Last Adam – 1 Corinthians 15:45
- Tuesday: Light of the World – John 8:12, 9:5
- Wednesday: Master – Matthew 23:8, John 1:38
- Thursday: Minister (Servant)– Mark 10:45
- Friday: Passover Lamb – 1 Corinthians 5:7
- Saturday: Prophet – Acts 3:22
- Monday: Propitiation – 1 John 2:2
- Tuesday: Redeemer – Galatians 3:13; Titus 2:14
- Wednesday: Resurrection – John 11:25
- Thursday: Rock – 1 Corinthians 10:4
- Friday: Sacrifice – Ephesians 5:2
- Saturday: Saviour – Luke 1:47
- Monday: Shepherd – 1 Peter 2:25
- Tuesday: Son of God – Matthew 4:3; Luke 1:35; John 1:49
- Wednesday: Son of Man – Matthew 18:11
- Thursday: True Vine – John 15:1
- Friday: Way, Truth, and Life – John 14:6
- Saturday Word – John 1:1
Download the list and check off each day as you look up the Scriptures and ponder these titles.
***Lent: 40 Titles for 40 Days (Download NOW: 40 Titles for Lenten Devotions)
What is Lent? Should I Give Up Something? (Article and Video)
This Time Called Lent (Video)
Prepare for Lent (Video)
Lent Reflections (Video)
How Should You Observe Lent? (Article)
How Should You Observe Lent? (Reflect and Prepare short video)
Have You Sat At The Master’s Table? (John 13-17)
About Holy Week
The Last Supper
Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Thursday Crucifixion? Do these two reasons “nail” it?
Why do we call it good [Friday]?
Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
How is Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the Crimson Worm? A Remez In Psalm 22?
Who do you need to reconcile with today?
Who Killed Jesus?
Since Jesus was the Passover LAMB, Why Didn't God Provide a Lamb in Genesis 22?
Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
Was Jesus Forsaken by His Father?
The centurion's song from the foot of the cross: “Surely This Was a Righteous Man”
Journey to the Cross: Maundy Thursday and Good Friday
How Do We Know Psalm 22 Is About The Cross?
Three Days in the Heart of the Earth
About Easter and Resurrection Life
Because He Lives, I Can Face Tomorrow (video)
Christ the Lord is Risen Today, Alleluia (video)
A Place in the Sun (Son) (video)
You'll Never Walk Alone (video)
How to Close Your Eyes and Really SEE Jesus!
Open Your Eyes to The Full Gospel
Are you glad to see Jesus?
Ponder the Prophecies of Jesus’ Mission (video and downloadable file)
What If We Skipped Easter This Year?
He’s back….and it changed everything!
The Lord is Risen Indeed! Hallelujah!
Because He Rose: The resurrection changed everything! (video)
What’s the Meaning of the Folded Napkin in the tomb?
Keep Easter Alive in Your Heart: He Came Back (video)
The Only Soul-Saver, Sin-Forgiver, Chain-Breaker, Pain-Taker, Way-Maker, Hope-Giver: Jesus
Keep Looking Up
Praise God, He’s Alive
Christian Internet Forwards? The Rest of “The Birdcage” Story? (video)
Ways to Glorify God - Bookmark
Watch NOW...You will be blessed.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
Top Ten in 2019
- What is the meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR