[Scroll down for video and downloadable file of 40 Titles.]
Lent begins next Wednesday on the day the church has traditionally called Ash Wednesday. What is Lent all about? And what is the significance of Ash Wednesday? How should we observe this time on the church calendar? Should we give up something?
There are a lot of questions about Lent. Check out our Got Questions? column next week, in which we will address the questions and share what you should know about this time leading up to Easter…and what you should do. (If you don’t get our emails, subscribe now to get the information in your inbox.)
Prepare for Lent
Now is the time to prepare for Lent. Some will give something up, as has been the tradition, but I suggest that you consider taking something up.
Make Lent a time of dedication to spending more time reading your Bible, reflecting on God’s teachings and revelation, and in prayer.
40 Days Looking to Jesus
Make Lent a time of focusing on Jesus. He is the reason for this season. Think about who Jesus is and all that He did during His earthly ministry. Then reflect upon all that Jesus does for you because you belong to Him.
I suggest that over the next forty days you consider the titles of Jesus found in His Word. Here’s a list of 40 (there are many more). Take a title each day leading up to Easter (Remember the 40 days do not include Sundays.)
Look up the Scripture for each title and ponder in your heart the gracious and generous work of our Lord Jesus Christ.
40 Ways to Know Jesus Better
- Advocate – 1 John 2:1
- Author and Finisher of our Faith – Hebrews 12:2
- Bishop of Souls – 1 Peter 2:25
- Bread of Life – John 6:35, 48
- Chief Shepherd – 1 Peter 5:4
- Christ – Matthew 1:16
- Cornerstone – Ephesians 2:20; 1 Peter 2:6
- Deliverer – Romans 11:26
- Door – John 10:9
- Emmanuel – Matthew 1:23
- Friend of Publicans (sinners)– Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:34
- God – John 1:1
- Good & Great Shepherd – John 10:11, 14; Hebrews 13:20
- Head of the Body (the Church) – Colossians 1:18
- Holy One of God – Mark 1:24; Acts 3:14
- Hope – Romans 15:13; Titus 2:13
- I Am – John 8:58
- Immanuel – Matt 1:21-25, Luke 8:22-25 (Isaiah 7:14)
- Jesus – Matt 1:21, Phil 2:9
- Judge – Acts 10:42
- King of Kings, Lord of Lords – 1 Timothy 6:15, Revelation 19:16
- Lamb of God – John 1:29
- Last Adam – 1 Corinthians 15:45
- Light of the World – John 8:12, 9:5
- Master – Matthew 23:8, John 1:38
- Minister (Servant)– Mark 10:45
- Passover Lamb – 1 Corinthians 5:7
- Prophet – Acts 3:22
- Propitiation – 1 John 2:2
- Redeemer – Galatians 3:13; Titus 2:14
- Resurrection – John 11:25
- Rock – 1 Corinthians 10:4
- Sacrifice – Ephesians 5:2
- Saviour – Luke 1:47
- Shepherd – 1 Peter 2:25
- Son of God – Matthew 4:3; Luke 1:35; John 1:49
- Son of Man – Matthew 18:11
- True Vine – John 15:1
- Way, Truth, and Life – John 14:6
- Word – John 1:1
Download the list and check off each day as you look up the Scriptures and ponder these titles.
Download 40 Titles for 40 Days of Lent
Articles and videos about the season of Lent, Holy Week, Easter and Resurrection Life.
- What is Lent? Should I Give Up Something?
- Lent: 40 Titles for 40 Days (download our "40 Titles" for Lenten devotions)
- Are you glad to see Jesus?
- Ponder the Prophecies of Jesus’ Mission
- What If We Skipped Easter This Year?
- What is Maundy Thursday? The Basin & The Towel
- What Do We Know about Judas? This Might Surprise You.
- Walking with Jesus – Tested by the Chief Priests and Elders
- What’s your Judas experience? The Pain of Betrayal
- Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday?
- Thursday Crucifixion? Do these two reasons “nail” it?
- Why do we call it good [Friday]?
- Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
- Who do you need to reconcile with today?
- Who Killed Jesus?
- Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
- Was Jesus forsaken by His Father?
- What caused the centurion to say: “Surely This Was a Righteous Man” (a song from the foot of the cross)
- Sadness and Despair: The Darkest Days of All Time
- He’s back….and it changed everything!
- The Lord is risen indeed! Hallelujah!
- Because He Rose: The resurrection changed everything! (video)
- Obituary of Jesus: Body Stolen or Risen? What do you say?
- What’s the Meaning of the Folded Napkin in the tomb?
- Keep Easter Alive in Your Heart: He Came Back (video)
- Keep Looking Up
- Praise God, He’s Alive
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
- Is it a sin to be FAT?
- To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
- What is MAUNDY THURSDAY about?
- What is the UNPARDONABLE sin? What if I commit it?
- Will Impure Thoughts Condemn Me? How do I fight them?
- Who were the Nephalim?
- To Tat or Not to Tat (Tattoo). Is that the Question?
- Is there a HIDEN MESSAGE in Genesis 5?
- Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
- Does God create EVIL as Isaiah 45:7 says?
- Are we the Bride of Christ now or is that future?
- Is there an ERROR in Genesis 2:17 because Adam and Eve didn't die?
- Are the Jews of today still the CHOSEN people of God?
- Is there a HIDDEN MESSAGE in Revelation 7?
- How should I WITNESS to Jehovah's Witnesses?
The Top Ten of 2016
- Is the US GOVERNMENT in the Book of Isaiah?
- Pause to PRAY
- Jesus WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- At the GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- Following the GOOD, GREAT, CHIEF, SHEPHERD
- Surely This was a RIGHTEOUS MAN
- But, IF NOT
- Seven Things Christians Must REMEMBER
- Are You GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- The Totem of SALVATION
Share your faith...