[Scroll down for video and downloadable file of 40 Titles.]
Lent begins next Wednesday on the day the church has traditionally called Ash Wednesday. What is Lent all about? And what is the significance of Ash Wednesday? How should we observe this time on the church calendar? Should we give up something?
There are a lot of questions about Lent. Check out our Got Questions? column next week, in which we will address the questions and share what you should know about this time leading up to Easter…and what you should do. (If you don’t get our emails, subscribe now to get the information in your inbox.)
Prepare for Lent
Now is the time to prepare for Lent. Some will give something up, as has been the tradition, but I suggest that you consider taking something up.
Make Lent a time of dedication to spending more time reading your Bible, reflecting on God’s teachings and revelation, and in prayer.
40 Days Looking to Jesus
Make Lent a time of focusing on Jesus. He is the reason for this season. Think about who Jesus is and all that He did during His earthly ministry. Then reflect upon all that Jesus does for you because you belong to Him.
I suggest that over the next forty days you consider the titles of Jesus found in His Word. Here’s a list of 40 (there are many more). Take a title each day leading up to Easter (Remember the 40 days do not include Sundays.)
Look up the Scripture for each title and ponder in your heart the gracious and generous work of our Lord Jesus Christ.
40 Ways to Know Jesus Better
- Advocate – 1 John 2:1
- Author and Finisher of our Faith – Hebrews 12:2
- Bishop of Souls – 1 Peter 2:25
- Bread of Life – John 6:35, 48
- Chief Shepherd – 1 Peter 5:4
- Christ – Matthew 1:16
- Cornerstone – Ephesians 2:20; 1 Peter 2:6
- Deliverer – Romans 11:26
- Door – John 10:9
- Emmanuel – Matthew 1:23
- Friend of Publicans (sinners)– Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:34
- God – John 1:1
- Good & Great Shepherd – John 10:11, 14; Hebrews 13:20
- Head of the Body (the Church) – Colossians 1:18
- Holy One of God – Mark 1:24; Acts 3:14
- Hope – Romans 15:13; Titus 2:13
- I Am – John 8:58
- Immanuel – Matt 1:21-25, Luke 8:22-25 (Isaiah 7:14)
- Jesus – Matt 1:21, Phil 2:9
- Judge – Acts 10:42
- King of Kings, Lord of Lords – 1 Timothy 6:15, Revelation 19:16
- Lamb of God – John 1:29
- Last Adam – 1 Corinthians 15:45
- Light of the World – John 8:12, 9:5
- Master – Matthew 23:8, John 1:38
- Minister (Servant)– Mark 10:45
- Passover Lamb – 1 Corinthians 5:7
- Prophet – Acts 3:22
- Propitiation – 1 John 2:2
- Redeemer – Galatians 3:13; Titus 2:14
- Resurrection – John 11:25
- Rock – 1 Corinthians 10:4
- Sacrifice – Ephesians 5:2
- Saviour – Luke 1:47
- Shepherd – 1 Peter 2:25
- Son of God – Matthew 4:3; Luke 1:35; John 1:49
- Son of Man – Matthew 18:11
- True Vine – John 15:1
- Way, Truth, and Life – John 14:6
- Word – John 1:1
Download the list and check off each day as you look up the Scriptures and ponder these titles.
Download 40 Titles for 40 Days of Lent
- What is Lent? Should I Give Up Something? (video)
- Lent: 40 Titles for 40 Days (download our "40 Titles" for Lenten devotions)
- This Time Called Lent (video)
- Prepare for Lent (video)
- How Should You Observe Lent? article
- How Should You Observe Lent? (video)
About Holy Week
- Blessed is the King -- A Palm Sunday video
- Hosanna -- Palm Sunday (Jesus Wept) (video)
- Walking with Jesus – Tested by the Chief Priests and Elders
- What is Maundy Thursday? The Basin & The Towel
- Maundy Thursday until Easter Sunday (video)
- What’s your Judas experience? The Pain of Betrayal
- What Do We Know about Judas? This Might Surprise You.
- Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday?
- Thursday Crucifixion? Do these two reasons “nail” it?
- Why do we call it good [Friday]?
- Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
- How is Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the Crimson Worm? A Remez In Psalm 22?
- Who do you need to reconcile with today?
- Who Killed Jesus?
- Since Jesus was the Passover LAMB, Why Didn't God Provide a Lamb in Genesis 22?
- Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
- Was Jesus Forsaken by His Father?
- The centurion's song from the foot of the cross: “Surely This Was a Righteous Man”
- Sadness and Despair: The Darkest Days of All Time
- Journey to the Cross: Maundy Thursday and Good Friday
- The Days of Darkness
- Obituary of Jesus: Body Stolen or Risen? What do you say?
About Easter and Resurrection Life
- How to Close Your Eyes and Really SEE Jesus!
- Open Your Eyes to The Full Gospel
- Are you glad to see Jesus?
- Ponder the Prophecies of Jesus’ Mission (video and downloadable file)
- What If We Skipped Easter This Year?
- He’s back….and it changed everything!
- The Lord is Risen Indeed! Hallelujah!
- Because He Rose: The resurrection changed everything! (video)
- What’s the Meaning of the Folded Napkin in the tomb?
- Keep Easter Alive in Your Heart: He Came Back (video)
- The Only Soul-Saver, Sin-Forgiver, Chain-Breaker, Pain-Taker, Way-Maker, Hope-Giver: Jesus
- Keep Looking Up
- Praise God, He’s Alive
- Because He Lives, I Can Face Tomorrow (video)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” a Christian Song? (video: Easter version of Cohen' "Hallelujah")
- Christ the Lord is Risen Today, Alleluia (video)
- A Place in the Sun (Son) (video)
- You'll Never Walk Alone (video)
- Christian Internet Forwards? The Rest of “The Birdcage” Story?(video)
Watch NOW...You will be blessed.
Do not be anxious about anything. (Phil 4:6)
In the midst of the COVID-19 pandemic, we must rightly remember who is in control. Our God is sovereign over all things, including COVID-19. As Charles Spurgeon (1834-1892) said, “The sovereignty of God is a soft pillow on which weary people lay their heads.”
Remember also God’s gracious promise, and that it is true and He is faithful to keep it: Hebrews 13:5 …”I will never leave you, nor forsake you.” The next verse remind us of the power that comes in trusting God and how we can live: Hebrews 13:6 So that we may boldly say, The Lord is my helper, and I will not fear what man [or COVID-19] shall do to me.
God loves us, and in Christ we find confidence and calm in times of uncertainty and trouble. When we trust in God, fear is replaced with faith, stress is replaced with strength, anxiety is gone and hope abounds, problems become opportunities, and we are able to receive the blessings God has for us in the midst of difficult circumstances. Turn to Jesus. He will lead you to the still waters and give rest for your troubled soul.
This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast…Hebrews 6:19
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR