[Scroll down for video and downloadable file of 40 Titles.]
Lent begins next Wednesday on the day the church has traditionally called Ash Wednesday. What is Lent all about? And what is the significance of Ash Wednesday? How should we observe this time on the church calendar? Should we give up something?
There are a lot of questions about Lent. Check out our Got Questions? column next week, in which we will address the questions and share what you should know about this time leading up to Easter…and what you should do. (If you don’t get our emails, subscribe now to get the information in your inbox.)
Prepare for Lent
Now is the time to prepare for Lent. Some will give something up, as has been the tradition, but I suggest that you consider taking something up.
Make Lent a time of dedication to spending more time reading your Bible, reflecting on God’s teachings and revelation, and in prayer.
40 Days Looking to Jesus
Make Lent a time of focusing on Jesus. He is the reason for this season. Think about who Jesus is and all that He did during His earthly ministry. Then reflect upon all that Jesus does for you because you belong to Him.
I suggest that over the next forty days you consider the titles of Jesus found in His Word. Here’s a list of 40 (there are many more). Take a title each day leading up to Easter (Remember the 40 days do not include Sundays.)
Look up the Scripture for each title and ponder in your heart the gracious and generous work of our Lord Jesus Christ.
40 Ways to Know Jesus Better
- Advocate – 1 John 2:1
- Author and Finisher of our Faith – Hebrews 12:2
- Bishop of Souls – 1 Peter 2:25
- Bread of Life – John 6:35, 48
- Chief Shepherd – 1 Peter 5:4
- Christ – Matthew 1:16
- Cornerstone – Ephesians 2:20; 1 Peter 2:6
- Deliverer – Romans 11:26
- Door – John 10:9
- Emmanuel – Matthew 1:23
- Friend of Publicans (sinners)– Matthew 11:19; Luke 7:34
- God – John 1:1
- Good & Great Shepherd – John 10:11, 14; Hebrews 13:20
- Head of the Body (the Church) – Colossians 1:18
- Holy One of God – Mark 1:24; Acts 3:14
- Hope – Romans 15:13; Titus 2:13
- I Am – John 8:58
- Immanuel – Matt 1:21-25, Luke 8:22-25 (Isaiah 7:14)
- Jesus – Matt 1:21, Phil 2:9
- Judge – Acts 10:42
- King of Kings, Lord of Lords – 1 Timothy 6:15, Revelation 19:16
- Lamb of God – John 1:29
- Last Adam – 1 Corinthians 15:45
- Light of the World – John 8:12, 9:5
- Master – Matthew 23:8, John 1:38
- Minister (Servant)– Mark 10:45
- Passover Lamb – 1 Corinthians 5:7
- Prophet – Acts 3:22
- Propitiation – 1 John 2:2
- Redeemer – Galatians 3:13; Titus 2:14
- Resurrection – John 11:25
- Rock – 1 Corinthians 10:4
- Sacrifice – Ephesians 5:2
- Saviour – Luke 1:47
- Shepherd – 1 Peter 2:25
- Son of God – Matthew 4:3; Luke 1:35; John 1:49
- Son of Man – Matthew 18:11
- True Vine – John 15:1
- Way, Truth, and Life – John 14:6
- Word – John 1:1
Download the list and check off each day as you look up the Scriptures and ponder these titles.
Download 40 Titles for 40 Days of Lent
Articles and videos about the season of Lent, Holy Week, Easter and Resurrection Life.
- What is Lent? Should I Give Up Something? (video)
- Lent: 40 Titles for 40 Days (download our "40 Titles" for Lenten devotions)
- This Time Called Lent (video)
- Prepare for Lent (video)
- Christian Internet Forwards? The Rest of “The Birdcage” Story?(video)
- Open Your Eyes to The Full Gospel
- Are you glad to see Jesus?
- Ponder the Prophecies of Jesus’ Mission (video and downloadable file on prophecies)
- What If We Skipped Easter This Year?
- Walking with Jesus – Tested by the Chief Priests and Elders
- What is Maundy Thursday? The Basin & The Towel
- What’s your Judas experience? The Pain of Betrayal
- What Do We Know about Judas? This Might Surprise You.
- Was Jesus crucified on Wednesday, Thursday or Friday?
- Thursday Crucifixion? Do these two reasons “nail” it?
- Why do we call it good [Friday]?
- Were you there when they crucified my Lord?
- Who do you need to reconcile with today?
- Who Killed Jesus?
- Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
- Was Jesus forsaken by His Father?
- What caused the centurion to say: “Surely This Was a Righteous Man” (a song from the foot of the cross)
- Sadness and Despair: The Darkest Days of All Time
- The Days of Darkness
- He’s back….and it changed everything!
- The Lord is risen indeed! Hallelujah!
- Because He Rose: The resurrection changed everything! (video)
- Obituary of Jesus: Body Stolen or Risen? What do you say?
- What’s the Meaning of the Folded Napkin in the tomb?
- Keep Easter Alive in Your Heart: He Came Back (video)
- The Only Soul-Saver, Sin-Forgiver, Chain-Breaker, Pain-Taker, Way-Maker, Hope-Giver: Jesus
- Keep Looking Up
- Praise God, He’s Alive
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “Hallelujah” a Christian Song? (video: Easter version of Cohen' "Hallelujah")
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge