Please give me your opinion about Christmas. I’m an evangelical Christian and for a few years have had a very heavy heart about this “feast”. I’ve studied nimrod and his wife/mother, Saturnalia, Nicolaitans, Baal, the Roman empire, Jeremiah 10, Revelation, and none of it eases my mind about celebrating. My problem is my family enjoys it so much. But I’m truly worried.
Of course what is being asked here is whether Christians should join in the secular festivities that surround the celebration of the birth of our Lord. The more commercial and secular Christmas becomes, the more this question is raised.
As Christians, we know that many of the traditions originated from pagan practices. The passage in Jeremiah 10:1-16 is thought to have given origin to the practice of cutting down trees, bringing them into the home and decorating them. But when this passage is carefully read and discerned, we see that the Lord was warning against participating in the pagan practice of cutting down a tree and then adorning it…BECAUSE they were worshipping such things:
Jeremiah 10:3-4…For the customs of the peoples are futile; For one cuts a tree from the forest, The work of the hands of the workman, with the ax. They decorate it with silver and gold; They fasten it with nails and hammers So that it will not topple..
The Lord’s warning is quick and judging:
Jeremiah 10:11 Thus you shall say to them: “The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth shall perish from the earth and from under these heavens.”
While this might seem to suggest that we should not have Christmas trees, let’s understand that Christmas trees are not brought into our homes as an idol to worship. They are simply a decoration of the season. We should also remember that God created evergreen trees and everything that God creates is good. So it really comes down to the question, what we do with the things that God creates? As Christians, we can look at the twinkling lights on Christmas trees and be reminded of the Light that has come into the world. We can look at the beautiful ornaments and enjoy the beauty of all things created. And of course, the gifts beneath the tree should remind us of the greatest Christmas gift of all…the incarnation of the Lord Jesus Christ as a baby born in a manger.
It is also well known that the timing of Christmas was determined by pagan festivals. If we were to more accurately celebrate the birth of Christ it would most likely be in the fall around the time of the Feast of Tabernacles. There are many passages and verses in the Bible that substantiate that timing. (Read Was Jesus born in September? and Should we celebrate Jesus’ birthday in September?)
So, the question remains, is it wrong to celebrate on December 25th?
Let’s first note that there’s nothing in the Bible that tells us we should celebrate the birth of Christ. We are told to remember His death, but not His birth. However, there is also nothing in the Bible that says we should not remember His humble incarnation.
Since the Bible is silent about memorializing the birth of Jesus, we need to ask ourselves, what does God really care about? That answer is clear. He cares about our hearts. If our purpose in celebrating the birth of Jesus is to remember the amazing gift we have been given, the gift of God sending His Son into the world to live among us and then to die for us and open the way to eternal life with God, then celebrating Christmas can be a wonderful time of praise, worship, and thanksgiving.
The same is true about how we celebrate. If the activities and decorations do not in any way dishonor the Lord, then there is nothing wrong with them. In fact, many Christmas celebrations honor God. As Christians, we should actively try to create activities and display decorations that magnify the Lord and cause us to remember and worship our wonderful God.
Ultimately whether or not to celebrate Christmas is a personal decision. If you decide to celebrate Christmas….just remember to keep it Christ-centered — just as every day is meant to be!
Will You Find Rest This Advent Season?
Advent Candle 1 – HOPE: Prophecy Gives Hope
Advent Candle 2 – LOVE: Promise Reveals Love
Advent Candle 3 – JOY: Jesus Is Our Joy
Advent Candle 4 – PEACE: Pause to Find Peace
Christmas-themed GOT QUESTIONS?
- Does “Xmas” Cross Jesus Out of Christmas?
- The Most Important Lesson for YOU in the Nativity Story?
- Misconceptions about the Journey to Bethlehem
- How did the Wise Men know to follow His star?
- What is the significance of the Three Kings' gifts?
- Who were the Three Wise Men? Fact or legend?
- Was Jesus born in a stable, a cave or a house?
- Was Mary a Levite, making Jesus both King and Priest?
- Was Jesus born in September (not December?)
- Should we celebrate Jesus’ birthday in September?
- How did Jesus become a man?
- A Boastful Christmas Letter
- Peace Delivers Hope
- Promise Ignites Hope
- Preparation Produces Hope
- Prophesy Reveals Hope
- Alone at Christmas? Feeling lonely?
- Another reason God came to dwell with man.
- How can you have a white Christmas without snow?
- Christmas, abortion and Joseph, the forgotten man of Christmas
- Remember the Wonder of Christmas
- Will you find rest, peace and joy this advent season?
- A Christmas Morning Prayer by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store