Please give me your opinion about Christmas. I’m an evangelical Christian and for a few years have had a very heavy heart about this “feast”. I’ve studied nimrod and his wife/mother, Saturnalia, Nicolaitans, Baal, the Roman empire, Jeremiah 10, Revelation, and none of it eases my mind about celebrating. My problem is my family enjoys it so much. But I’m truly worried.
Of course what is being asked here is whether Christians should join in the secular festivities that surround the celebration of the birth of our Lord. The more commercial and secular Christmas becomes, the more this question is raised.
As Christians, we know that many of the traditions originated from pagan practices. The passage in Jeremiah 10:1-16 is thought to have given origin to the practice of cutting down trees, bringing them into the home and decorating them. But when this passage is carefully read and discerned, we see that the Lord was warning against participating in the pagan practice of cutting down a tree and then adorning it…BECAUSE they were worshipping such things:
Jeremiah 10:3-4…For the customs of the peoples are futile; For one cuts a tree from the forest, The work of the hands of the workman, with the ax. They decorate it with silver and gold; They fasten it with nails and hammers So that it will not topple..
The Lord’s warning is quick and judging:
Jeremiah 10:11 Thus you shall say to them: “The gods that have not made the heavens and the earth shall perish from the earth and from under these heavens.”
While this might seem to suggest that we should not have Christmas trees, let’s understand that Christmas trees are not brought into our homes as an idol to worship. They are simply a decoration of the season. We should also remember that God created evergreen trees and everything that God creates is good. So it really comes down to the question, what we do with the things that God creates? As Christians, we can look at the twinkling lights on Christmas trees and be reminded of the Light that has come into the world. We can look at the beautiful ornaments and enjoy the beauty of all things created. And of course, the gifts beneath the tree should remind us of the greatest Christmas gift of all…the incarnation of the Lord Jesus Christ as a baby born in a manger.
It is also well known that the timing of Christmas was determined by pagan festivals. If we were to more accurately celebrate the birth of Christ it would most likely be in the fall around the time of the Feast of Tabernacles. There are many passages and verses in the Bible that substantiate that timing. (Read Was Jesus born in September? and Should we celebrate Jesus’ birthday in September?)
So, the question remains, is it wrong to celebrate on December 25th?
Let’s first note that there’s nothing in the Bible that tells us we should celebrate the birth of Christ. We are told to remember His death, but not His birth. However, there is also nothing in the Bible that says we should not remember His humble incarnation.
Since the Bible is silent about memorializing the birth of Jesus, we need to ask ourselves, what does God really care about? That answer is clear. He cares about our hearts. If our purpose in celebrating the birth of Jesus is to remember the amazing gift we have been given, the gift of God sending His Son into the world to live among us and then to die for us and open the way to eternal life with God, then celebrating Christmas can be a wonderful time of praise, worship, and thanksgiving.
The same is true about how we celebrate. If the activities and decorations do not in any way dishonor the Lord, then there is nothing wrong with them. In fact, many Christmas celebrations honor God. As Christians, we should actively try to create activities and display decorations that magnify the Lord and cause us to remember and worship our wonderful God.
Ultimately whether or not to celebrate Christmas is a personal decision. If you decide to celebrate Christmas….just remember to keep it Christ-centered — just as every day is meant to be!
The Season of Advent (the 4 weeks before Christmas)
Will You Find Rest This Advent Season?
Advent Candle 1 – HOPE: Prophecy Gives Hope (video)
Advent Candle 2 – LOVE: Promise Reveals Love (video)
Advent Candle 3 – JOY: Jesus Is Our Joy (video)
Advent Candle 4 – PEACE: Pause to Find Peace (video)
Christmas-themed GOT QUESTIONS?
- Does “Xmas” Cross Jesus Out of Christmas?
- The Most Important Lesson for YOU in the Nativity Story?
- Misconceptions about the Journey to Bethlehem (video)
- Errors in the Nativity Story? Is Jesus’ birthplace wrong?
- Who were the Three Wise Men? Fact or legend?
- How Did the Wise Men Know to Follow His Star?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 Days After Jesus’ Birth? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the significance of the Three Kings' gifts?
- Was Jesus born in a stable, a cave or a house?
- Was Mary a Levite, making Jesus both King and Priest?
- Was Jesus born in September (not December?)
- Should we celebrate Jesus’ birthday in September?
- Was Jesus born in a stable, cave or house?
- Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?
- How did Jesus become a man?
- How did Jesus become a man?
- Do You Get These 7 Things Right or Wrong About the Nativity Story?
- Are You Stuck in the Middle This Christmas? (short video lessons from the popular comedy TV show "The Middle.")
- What are the Prophecies of Christmas? (video)
- Where are the genealogies of Jesus in Mark and John?
- Why are There Two Different Genealogies for Jesus?
- A Boastful Christmas Letter
- Peace Delivers Hope
- Promise Ignites Hope
- Preparation Produces Hope
- Prophesy Reveals Hope
- Alone at Christmas? Feeling lonely?
- Another reason God came to dwell with man.
- How can you have a white Christmas without snow?
- Christmas, abortion and Joseph, the forgotten man of Christmas
- Remember the Wonder of Christmas
- Will you find rest, peace and joy this advent season?
- A Christmas Morning Prayer by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
- What If You Had Been There When Jesus Was Born? (video)
- Pause to Find Hope (video)
- Pause to Receive the Promises of God (video)
- Pause to See Jesus (video)
- Pause to Hear God’s Plan (video)
- Christmas Trivia Fun
- Songs of Christmas Series: Away in a Manger; Mary, Did You Know? Rose of Bethlehem; Good Christian Men Rejoice; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; I Wonder As I Wander; What Child Is This? The First Noel In the Bleak Midwinter (a golden oldie)
If you do NOT know Jesus, click here NOW!
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering
YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and we need your help to continue. Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?*** Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. Subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email). SUBSCRIBE NOW
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR