May the Lord bless you as you prepare to celebrate Jesus’ first advent. May the Lord fill your heart with the joy of the season, a joy built on a hope that rests in Christ Jesus, our Lord and our God (John 20:28). It is a blessed thing to awake each day in this Christmas season and to think about all our Father has done in sending His Son to save many.
From the text of Luke 1, note the lead-ins, from the record of Mary’s great oracle of praise to God in which she spoke of what God has done. Consider the text, and ponder the wonder of it all!
“And Mary said, ‘My soul exalts the Lord, and my spirit has rejoiced in God my Savior. For He has had regard for the humble state of His bondslave; for behold, from this time on all generations will count me blessed. For the Mighty One has done great things . . . He has done mighty deeds . . . He has scattered . . . He has brought down . . . has exalted . . . He has filled . . . He has given help” (Luke 1:46-55)
Such wonderful acts by God as He, the Mighty One, worked out His plan to provide redemption to a world lost in sin, to send His one and only Son that whosoever believes in Him should not perish but have eternal life (John 3:16). This great work of salvation, worked out by the omnipotent God, as the old Christmas song notes,
I wonder as I wander out under the sky,
How Jesus the Savior did come for to die.
For poor on’ry people like you and like I . . .
I wonder as I wander out under the sky.”
This Christmas hymn comes from the poor people of the Appalachian Mountains. I say “the poor people” because no one knows from whom it specifically originated. As John Niles trekked the great mountain area of the Appalachians gathering what he could of the words and music of their folk songs, on a particular Christmas he encountered a young girl, seated on a bench, singing an infectious tune . . . “I Wonder As I Wander.”
Out of this greatly impoverished area a song was passed down from one family to another, and it has become one of the most noted of Christmas hymns. Of this song it has been written, “Deeply spiritual, incredibly thoughtful, yet obviously composed by someone of little means and education, the lyrics embraced the joy and wonder of Christmas but also lingered on the sacrifice of a child grown into a man that died on a cross.” Happiness . . .
When Mary birthed Jesus ’twas in a cow’s stall,
With wise men and farmers and shepherds and all.
But high from God’s heaven a star’s light did fall,
And the promise of ages it then did recall.
. . . combined with sorrow . . . “How Jesus the Savior did come for to die” . . . Oh how “I Wonder As I Wander!”
The song ends with the simple recognition of the Savior who Mary birthed, a witness by whoever put its words together, that this Jesus, this Savior, was the King. . .
If Jesus had wanted for any wee thing,
A star in the sky, or a bird on the wing.
Or all of God’s angels in heav’n for to sing,
He surely could have it, ’cause He was the King.
The Christmas season is certainly a time to be in great awe. In our busy schedules, our running to and fro, may the simple words of this seasonal song cause each one of us to ponder the wonder of it all.
Have a good day and, as you wander, wonder at what our Christmas celebration is really all about.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas