In this Christmas season, consider the lyrics of the popular song, “What Child Is This?”
What Child is this
Who laid to rest
On Mary’s lap is sleeping?
Whom Angels greet with anthems sweet,
While shepherds watch are keeping?
Now read a passage from the book of Hebrews. Hebrews 10 shares a conversation in the heavens, a divine insight into the coming into the world of the second Person of the Trinity.
“For it is impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins. Therefore, when He come into the world, He says, ‘Sacrifices and offering Thou hast not desired. But a body Thou hast prepared for Me . . . Behold, I have come (in the roll of the book it is written of Me) to do Thy will, O God . . .’ Then He said, ‘Behold, I have come to do Thy will.’ He takes away the first in order to establish the second. By this will we have been sanctified through the offering of the body of Jesus Christ once for all.” (Hebrews 10: 4-5, 7, 9-10)
What a magnificent text regarding the miracle of Christmas. A conversation in which the Son says, “Sacrifices and offering (the old practices of the law – note 10:1-3) Thou hast not desired.” Therefore, “. . . a body Thou has prepared for Me.” And willingly the Son of God says, “Behold, I have come . . . to do Thy will, O God.” And what was God’s will for Jesus to accomplish? To take … “. . . away the first in order to establish the second.”\
The people the words of Hebrews 10 were written to were thinking of going back to the old system, the system God “hast not desired” to continue. It was “impossible for the blood of bulls and goats to take away sins.” It was impossible for this system to “make perfect those who draw near” (10:1). It only served as a reminder that a greater sacrifice was needed. . . and promised.
What Child is This?
God, in His great plan of salvation, set about to send His Son into the world. And He did this by preparing a perfect body for God the Son to inhabit, a body that would be born as are all mankind. God Himself prepared this body and by the power of the Holy Spirit placed the body into the womb of a young, virgin girl . . .
“And the angel said to her, ‘Do not be afraid, Mary; for you have found favor with God. And behold, you will conceive in your womb, and bear a son, and you will name Him Jesus’ . . . And Mary said to the angel, ‘How can this be, since I am a virgin?’ And the angel answered and said to her, ‘The Holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you; and for that reason the holy offspring shall be called the Son of God.’” (Luke 1:30-31, 34-35)
These words should stir great wonder in all of us. Christmas . . . the time when Jesus came into the world, is a most special time, a time of miracles. The non-believer pays little attention to this power of the Most High, but we do. From what is written in the Bible, we know what Child this is. We know that
This, this is Christ the King,
Whom shepherds guard and Angels sing
Haste, haste, to bring Him laud,
The Babe, The Son, Of Mary
Please consider supporting Reasons for Hope* Jesus in our ministry outreach of educating and equipping Christians to know Jesus better, love Him more, and be ready to share their faith. For more information, click HERE
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store