How did the Wise Men know? The Wise Men/Magi were educated and notable men who studied the stars and apparently knew the prophecies well. (Read Who Were the Three Wise Men? Why Did Herod Fear Them?). It is thought to have been Daniel the Prophet who first introduced the Magi to the Holy Scriptures of the God of Israel. And, it’s believed that throughout the centuries these wise men studied the Hebrew Scriptures; and therefore understood the timing of the Messiah’s birth and the sign that would lead them to the place where He would be born.
What exactly did they know? The Bible doesn’t explicitly tell us, but we can find some reasoning in the Scriptures that provides some answers.
The Timing of the Messiah’s Birth
Daniel 9:24-26 records a clear prophecy of the Messiah who would present Himself to His people, would be hailed as the One who would come in the name of the Lord and then be killed. This passage gives a timeline from the decree to rebuild Jerusalem, to the Messiah’s entry into the city, and then to His being “cut off” (killed). Verse 24 describes the number of years as being “seventy weeks.”
Daniel 9:24a Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people [the Jews] and upon thy holy city [Jerusalem]…
Israel understood “week” to mean seven. Just as we would say three dozen equals 36 (dozen meaning 12), or seven decades equals 70 years (decade meaning 10), so also the Jews understood “seventy weeks” to mean “seventy sevens,” or 70 x 7, which equals 490. That 490 is the number of years until the Messiah would come and accomplish the following:
Daniel 9:24 Seventy weeks are determined upon thy people and upon thy holy city, (1) to finish the transgression, and (2) to make an end of sins, and (3) to make reconciliation for iniquity, and (4) to bring in everlasting righteousness, and (5) to seal up the vision and (6) prophecy, and (7) to anoint the most Holy.”
From the Going Forth of the Commandment
The prophecy that was given, by the angel Gabriel to Daniel, then went on to announce when the beginning of these seventy weeks would occur. This set a clear time frame for future events.
Daniel 9:25 Know therefore and understand, that from the going forth of the commandment to restore and to build Jerusalem unto the Messiah the Prince shall be seven weeks, and threescore and two weeks: the street shall be built again, and the wall, even in troublous times.
Daniel 9:25-26 And after threescore and two weeks shall Messiah be cut off, but not for himself…
The 70 sevens began with the decree to restore and rebuild Jerusalem that was issued by Artaxerxes Longimanus in 445 BC (Nehemiah 2:5). With that starting date, the “seven weeks and threescore and two weeks” equals 69 weeks, which the angel Gabriel prophesied about and which takes us to the date of Jesus’ triumphal entry into Jerusalem on what we call Palm Sunday.
The Coming Prince Timeline
Sir Robert Anderson in his book, The Coming Prince, laid out the timeline in precise detail to the exact day when the Messiah would be “cut off” (“cut off” is a Jewish term for killed). Because Anderson’s book is in public domain, the entire book that explains this chronology can easily be found online.
For the sake of this article, we will accept that the date of Jesus’ entry into Jerusalem and His death on the cross can be determined precisely by the words of the angel Gabriel given to Daniel. With this knowledge, the Wise Men could have easily counted forward and determined the time when the Messiah would be killed. They could have also known from the Hebrew Scriptures that service as a priest started at the age of 30 (Numbers 4:43) and that God promised He would raise up a faithful priest (1 Samuel 2:35). Therefore, the Messiah would have been more than 30 years old and the Wise Men could have counted backward 30+ years from the date of the Messiah’s death and determined an approximate time of His birth.
The Place and the Sign
Knowing the approximate time of the Messiah’s birth the Wise Men would have known to be watching for the birth of the Messiah.
Micah 5:2 But thou, Bethlehem Ephratah, though thou be little among the thousands of Judah, yet out of thee shall he come forth unto me that is to be ruler in Israel; whose goings forth have been from of old, from everlasting.
Numbers 24:17 I shall see him, but not now: I shall behold him, but not nigh: there shall come a Star out of Jacob, and a Sceptre shall rise out of Israel, and shall smite the corners of Moab, and destroy all the children of Sheth.
How Did They Know?
With these prophesies now fulfilled, it is easy for us to look back and understand the Scripture that revealed Jesus’ time and place of birth. However, we know that hindsight is always clearer than foresight, so it causes us to wonder how the Wise Men/Magi could have understood the prophecies.
The Bible does not explicitly tell us, but it is clear that the wise men did understand them well enough to believe that this Child was the promised King of the Jews (the Promised Messiah) and they should follow “His star.” Perhaps Daniel had opened the Scriptures to the magi of his time. Perhaps through the Scriptures and Daniel’s testimony, these men came to fear the Lord, for we know that “the fear of the Lord is the beginning of knowledge” (Prov 1:7) and “the beginning of wisdom” (Prov 9:10). This “fear” is a reverence, respect, and trust of the Lord and His revealed will.
Proverbs 1:2-3 To know wisdom and instruction, to perceive the words of understanding, To receive the instruction of wisdom, justice, and judgment, and equity, To give subtlety to the simple, to the young man knowledge and discretion. A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels: To understand a proverb, and the interpretation; the words of the wise, and their dark sayings. The fear of the LORD is the beginning of knowledge: but fools despise wisdom and instruction.
Prov 9:10 The fear of the LORD is the beginning of wisdom: and the knowledge of the holy is understanding.
They Were Wise
It’s no wonder the Bible calls them wise men. Their wisdom was likely born from a knowledge and fear of the Lord and was then handed down throughout the centuries. We know that the magi were skilled in watching the stars and when they recognized “His star” they were diligent in setting out and following it to Jerusalem and eventually to the Christ Child. The Bible also tells us that their intention was grounded in knowing that this Child was born the King of the Jews and so they came to worship Him.
Matthew 2:1-2 Now when Jesus was born in Bethlehem of Judaea in the days of Herod the king, behold, there came wise men from the east to Jerusalem, Saying, Where is he that is born King of the Jews? for we have seen his star in the east, and are come to worship him.
Again, the Bible is correct in calling the magi “wise men.” By the evidence of their watching for “His star,” traveling to Jerusalem to seek the “”King of the Jews, ” and desiring to worship Him, we can know that the Wise Men trusted in the God of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob, and they believed His Word as written by the prophets.
The lesson we can learn from the Wise Men/Magi is that we, too, must trust in what God has said in His Word. He gives us wisdom, just as He gave it to the Magi. The Magi were Wise Men who believed God and His Word and acted accordingly. Christmas is a wonderful time to reflect on the greatest gift God gave to mankind when He sent His son into the world. It is a great time to examine our hearts and ask ourselves if we are wise men?
- Do we trust in the Messiah enough to follow His star? The Messiah asks us to die to self daily and take up our cross and follow Him. (Mark 8:35, Luke 9:23)
- Do we seek spiritual growth in the Lord more than creature comforts in the world? The Messiah says we will be persecuted for His sake (Matthew 5:11, 10:22), but He also promises that His yoke is easy, His burden is light and, in Him, our souls will find rest (Matthew 11:29-30).
- Do we care enough about others to tell them about Jesus? Just as Daniel told the Magi about His God and His Word, we are to tell others. Because the Magi had knowledge and fear of the Lord they watched for His star and followed it to where the Child was born, where the Son was given. (Isaiah 9:6). We have seen His star and we come to worship Him. Let us also care enough about others to tell them about the little Baby in the cradle who came to seek and save.
For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world;
but that the world through him might be saved.
Wise Men Still Follow His Star
Read About the Wise Men
- Who were the Three Wise Men? Fact, or legend?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah? How Did They Know to Follow His Star?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 Days After Jesus’ Birth? Or Was It Much Later?
- WHAT is the Significance of the Wise Men's Gifts? Were These Men Kings?
- What’s the Story Behind “The Gift of the Magi” by O’Henry?
The Season of Advent (the 4 weeks before Christmas)
Will You Find Rest This Advent Season?
HOPE Advent Candle 1 – Prophecy Gives Hope (video)
LOVE Advent Candle 2 – Promise Reveals Love (video)
JOY Advent Candle 3 – Jesus Is Our Joy (video)
PEACE Advent Candle 4 – Pause to Find Peace (video)
Christmas Day: When Love Was Born — Light the CHRIST Candle
What is the Prophetic Symbolism of Advent Candles?
Christmas-themed GOT QUESTIONS?
- Misconceptions about the Journey to Bethlehem (video)
- Errors in the Nativity Story? Is Jesus’ birthplace wrong?
- Who were the Three Wise Men? Fact or legend?
- How Did the Wise Men Know to Follow His Star?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 Days After Jesus’ Birth? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the significance of the Three Kings' gifts?
- Was Jesus born in a stable, a cave, or a house?
- Was Jesus born in September (not December?)
- Should we celebrate Jesus’ birthday in September?
- Does “Xmas” Cross Jesus Out of Christmas?
- What is the Prophetic Symbolism of Advent Candles?
- The Most Important Lesson for YOU in the Nativity Story?
- Was Mary a Levite, making Jesus both King and Priest?
- Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?
- How did Jesus become a man?
- Do You Get These 7 Things Right or Wrong About the Nativity Story?
- Are You Stuck in the Middle This Christmas? (short video lessons from the popular comedy TV show "The Middle.")
- What are the Prophecies of Christmas? (video)
- Where are the genealogies of Jesus in Mark and John?
- Why Are There Two Different Genealogies for Jesus?
- Should I Say “Happy Holidays” Instead of “Merry Christmas?”
- A Boastful Christmas Letter
- Peace Delivers Hope
- Promise Ignites Hope
- Preparation Produces Hope
- Prophesy Reveals Hope
- Alone at Christmas? Feeling lonely?
- Another reason God came to dwell with man.
- How can you have a white Christmas without snow?
- Christmas, abortion, and Joseph, the forgotten man of Christmas
- Remember the Wonder of Christmas
- Will you find rest, peace, and joy this advent season?
- A Christmas Morning Prayer by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, performed by Casting Crowns
- Mary’s Child — from the movie, A Christmas Wish
- The True Meaning of Christmas: The Sacrifice Began (How Many Kings)
- What If You Had Been There When Jesus Was Born? (video)
- Pause To Find Hope. Receive the Promises of God. See Jesus. Hear God’s Plan.
- Christmas Trivia Fun
- Songs of Christmas Series: Away in a Manger; Mary, Did You Know? Rose of Bethlehem; Good Christian Men Rejoice; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; I Wonder As I Wander; What Child Is This? The First Noel In the Bleak Midwinter (a golden oldie)
Have You Heard About This Baby Boy? A most beautiful rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, with a Christmas message to touch your heart and give joy to your soul.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas