The popular Christmas story, “The Gift of the Magi,” was written by William Sydney Porter (1862-1910), using the pseudonym, “O’ Henry.” The plotline of O’Henry’s Christmas story has captivated readers around the globe:
A young couple was deeply in love, but financially poor. Each sacrificed precious possessions to raise money to give a gift to the other. The husband sold an heirloom pocket watch to buy his wife a set of combs and pins for her hair (In the late 1800’s, such things were made of tortoise shell, pearl, or ivory. They were very expensive and greatly desired). The wife—whose lovely hair was her pride and joy— had her long hair cut, and she sold the hair to buy her husband a gold chain for his treasured pocket watch.
Selfless love is certainly demonstrated in the actions of O’Henry’s characters. But the story has a deeper meaning when it’s understood to reflect the ultimate act of sacrificial love on which O’Henry’s based his story.
O’Henry’s story of sacrificial love reminds us of the sacrficial love of God. Let’s consider the prophecies of Isaiah and the historical accounts of the Gospels, and then compare God’s story to O’Henry’s story.
The book of Isaiah points to the coming Saviour in a number of key passages. Isaiah prophecied of the One who would someday be, “led like a Lamb to slaughter” (53:7), and “by Whose stripes we are healed (Is. 53:5, I Peter 2:24). Writing around 750 BC, Isaiah amazingly portrayed scenes from the Saviour’s time on earth that would be fulfilled and later written about in the Gospel accounts.
- He would be born of a virgin (Isaiah 7:14, c.f. Lk. 1:34).
- The Messiah would be God incarnate (Isaiah 9:6, c.f. Mark 14:61-61 and John 10:30-33).
- He would be beaten beyond recognition, even before being put to death on the Cross (Isaiah 52:14, c.f. Matthew 27:26-31).
We can clearly see the parallels in O’Henry’s “Gift of the Magi.” The husband and wife had such great love for each other, that they sacrificed their treasured posession to purchase a gift that would bring the other joy. This certainly reflects God’s love. He cherishes His only begotten Son, Jesus. Yet, “it pleased the Father to bruise Him” (to sacrifice Him) Isaiah 53:10. Why? Because of His great love for the world and knowing that His sacrifice would bring everlasting joy!
For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)
Both the story of O’Henry and the greatest story ever told (God’s story of redemption) are stories of great sacrifice that led to abundant joy for the recipients of the gifts!
The Differences in the Two Stories?
While the similarities in the stories are interesting, the differences between them are most significant.
- O’Henry’s story is one of fiction. The story of Jesus is true. In fact, it’s much more than a story. It’s a historical account of that which really happened. The God of all creation, in His love and mercy, sent His Son Jesus to live the life we could never live and die the death that should be ours.
- O’Henry’s story is one of sacrificing material possessions. In God’s story the blood of Jesus was shed. Greater than giving up a prized possession, Jesus gave up His life so we can live!
- The characters in O’Henry’s story used the money from the possessions sold to buy gifts of great value. God’s gift of redemption can’t be bought — it’s free!
- In O’Henry’s story, the gifts received were temporal, earthly treasures. In God’s story, the gift we receive is eternal with heavenly treasures. It is new life in Christ! And that’s PRICELESS!!!
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas