Baking Scripture Cookies is a fun activity for all. The recipe incorporates Bible reading to determine the ingredients and offers an opportunity to open a spiritual discussion. And, of course, the activity ends with freshly baked cookies!
Sweet Jesus, Sweet Cookies
We all know that true hope is found in Christ alone. He is the only true source of power in our lives. He is our joy, and in Him, we find true satisfaction. That said, I think everyone would agree that a few cookies can put a smile on our faces and provide some conditional and temporal satisfaction in our stomachs. Who doesn’t like cookies! God has given us the ingredients to make the cookies, and the ability to bake the cookies. To make Scripture Cookies you’ll first need your Bible to determine the necessary ingredients.
Have Fun Gathering the Ingredients
In many ways,s this can also be a learning experience for children or adults. You can simply print out the recipe (downloadable below), look up the verses, and fill in the blanks with the ingredients.
Another way to have some fun with Scripture cookies is something I did in my Bible study. I handed out strips of paper, numbered 1-10, with the amount of the ingredient and the Bible verse(s) listed. Each person determined from the verses the ingredient they would contribute and brought the specified amount to the next study. I didn’t say what we would be making. As we mixed the ingredients, each person read the verse that revealed it. We mixed the cookie dough before the study began and put the cookies in the oven to bake (don’t forget to set a timer). As we studied, the cookies baked. As the study ended, the sweet aroma of freshly baked cookies filled the room. We then enjoyed our Scripture Cookies and a time of sweet fellowship.
Bake some Scripture Cookies with your children and put them in their lunch bags. It might give them an opportunity to share with their friends how they used the Bible to find the ingredients. At Christmas, use white icing and red and green sprinkles to make the cookies look more festive. At Easter, use white or pastel-colored icing with springtime-colored or flower sprinkles. Or decorate the cookies with a cross. Be creative and have fun.
The Three Sweetest Ingredients
- Bible reading. This is always a basic and necessary ingredient in our lives. God’s word is the “sweetest food” of all. If time permits, discuss both the historical context and the spiritual application of each verse.
- Christian fellowship. While Jesus is our firm foundation, brothers and sisters-in-Christ help us to stand strong and find joy. Being together is a sweetness we all should crave.
- Prayer: Add one more measure of sweetness to the mix by giving thanks to the Lord before indulging in the freshly baked cookies.
*** Scripture Cookies ***
(Recipe Handout: Download Below. Answers below also so you can verify the recipe.)
1. 3/4 cup _________ Genesis 18:8, Psalm 55:21, Isaiah 7:15 (KJV)
2. 1/3 cup _________ Hebrews 5:12-13, 1 Peter 2:2 (KJV)
3. 1 1/2 cups _________ Isaiah 43:24, Jeremiah 6:20 (KJV)
4. 2 _________ Isaiah 10:14 (KJV)
5. 2 cups _________ 1 Samuel 28:24, 1 Kings. 4:22 (KJV)
6. 1 teaspoon _________ Exodus 30:23, Proverbs 7:17 (KJV)
7. 1 teaspoon _________ Leviticus 2:13, Matthew 5:13 (KJV)
8. 1/2 teaspoon _________
“…is like________” Matthew 13:33 (KJV)
“…a mighty_____________” Psalm 89:13 (KJV)
“…and like a ______________” Jeremiah 23:29 (KJV)
9. 3 cups _________ (The Message paraphrase: verse 25:7 in the book of Psalms)
10. 1 cup _________ 1 Samuel 30:12, 2 Samuel 16:1 (KJV)
Beat the first four ingredients together. Mix in the remaining ingredients. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto greased cookie sheet. Bake at 350° F (175° C) for 15 minutes.
*Recipe Handout. Click to Download: Scripture Cookies
Scripture Cookie Answers
- 3/4 c butter
- 1/3 c milk
- 1 1/2 c sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 c flour
- 1 t cinnamon
- 1 t salt
- 1/2 t baking soda [e.g. Arm & Hammer® Baking Soda]
- 3 c oats
- 1 c raisins
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED