The answer is, we don’t know how many miracles Jesus did during His life and earthly ministry on earth. We are unable to determine an actual count because we are told in four passages that Jesus healed many. Each of those healings is a miracle in and of itself, and we aren’t told how many there were. Plus there are many other miracles, like casting out demons, calming the waters, etc.
While we don’t know how many miracles were performed, we can count those that are clearly spoken of in the four gospel accounts. In doing that, we come up with 38 (please tell us if we missed any). But first…
Why Did Jesus Do Miracles?
Jesus did miracles for many reasons. First, Jesus told us that He came not to be ministered unto, but to minister (Mark 10:45) and in His miracles He certainly did that.
Another reason Jesus performed miracles was to reveal Himself as being sent by God, as being the Son of Man (a Messianic title), and as being the Son of God. Peter on the day of Pentecost affirmed this when he said that Jesus’ miracles showed Him to be “a man approved of God.” (Acts 2:22)
Jesus also did miracles to glorify the Father, because all miracles point to the Father (signs point to Jesus and a wonder points to the thing itself). The miracles Jesus did pointed to the Father in the power they displayed. Remember, Jesus had set aside His divinity, living only in His humanity, while here on earth. So His miracles were done by the power of the Holy Spirit who descended upon Him at His baptism and worked in and through Him. Again, on the day of Pentecost, Peter confirmed this by saying that God showed/proved Jesus by miracles, which He did through Jesus. (Acts 2:22).
One more reason for Jesus performing miracles was to give us a glimpse of that which is to come. One day all things will be made new by the power of God. The earth and all things in the earth will be restored to the perfection and perfect peace that was enjoyed in the Garden. God’s plan of redemption and restoration will be completed and that will be a miracle of glory displayed forever.
The Miracles Recorded in the Gospels
- Turned water into wine at the wedding in Cana — John 2:1-11
- Healed the nobleman’s son who was near death in Capernaum — John 4:46-54
- Healed a demoniac at the synagogue in Capernaum — Mark 1:21-28, Luke 4:38-39
- Healed Peter’s mother-in-law who had a high fever — Matt 8:14-17, Mark 1:29-31, Luke 4:38-39
- Healed many and cast out demon at sunset — Mark 1:32-34, Luke 4:40-41
- Gave a miraculous catch of fish to disciples while He was in the boat with them — Luke 5:4-11
- Healed a leper — Matt 8:2-4, Mark 1:40-45, Luke 5:12-16
- Healed centurion’s paralyzed servant in Capernaum — Matt 8:5-13, Luke 7:1-10
- Healed a paralytic (let down through the roof) — Matt 9:2-8, Mark 2:1-12, Luke 5:17-26
- Healed a withered hand in the synagogue on the Sabbath — Matt 12:9-14, Mark 3:7-12, Luke 6:17-19
- Raised widow’s son at Nain — Luke 7:11-17
- Calmed a storm — Matt 8:22-23, Mark 4:36-41, Luke 8:23-25
- Cast out a legion of demons — Matt 8:28-34, Mark 5:1-20, Luke 8:26-39
- Healed a woman with an issue of blood — Matt 9:20-22, Mark 5:24-34, Luke 8:42-48
- Raised Jairus’s daughter — Matt 9:23-26, Mark 5:35-43, Luke 8:49-56
- Healed two blind men — Matt 9:27-31
- Healed a mute demoniac — Matt 9:32-34
- Healed a crippled man at the Pool of Bethesda — John 5:2-15
- Healed many, fed five thousand men (plus women and children) — Matt 14:13-21, Mark 6:30-44, Luke 9:10-17, John 6:1-14
- Walked on water & calmed a storm — Matt 14:22-33, Mark 6:45-52, John 6:16-21
- Healed many who were sick in Gennesaret (they touched His garment) — Matt 14:34-36, Mark 6:35-56
- Healed a woman of Canaan’s demon-possessed daughter — Matt 15:21-28, Mark 7:24-30
- Healed a deaf and mute man — Mark 7:31-37
- Healed many & fed four thousand men (plus women and children) — Matt 15:29-39, Mark 8:1-10
- Healed blind man of Bethsaida — Mark 8:22-26
- Healed a man who was born blind (put clay on his eyes )– John 9:1-7
- Healed demoniac boy — Matt 17:14-19, Mark 9:14-29, Luke 9:37-43
- Gave a coin in the mouth of a fish to pay taxes — Matt 17:24-27
- Healed blind, mute, demon-possessed man Matt 12:22-23, Mark 3:20
- Healed a crippled woman on the Sabbath — Luke 13:10-13
- Healed a man with dropsy on the Sabbath — Luke 14:2-6
- Cleansed ten lepers on the way to Jerusalem — Luke 17:11-14
- Raised Lazarus from the grave in Bethany — Luke 14:2-6
- Healed two blind men (Bartimaeus and another) near Jericho — Matt 20:29-34, Mark 10:46-52, Luke 18:35-43
- Withered the fig tree on the Road from Bethany — Matt 21:18-22, Mark 11:12-14
- Healed the severed ear of the High Priest (when He was arrested) — Luke 22:51
- Rose from the dead — Matt 28:1-20, Mark 16:1-19, Luke 24:1-53, John 20:1-31
- Gave a miraculous catch of fish to disciples while He stood on the shore — John 21:1-8
Additionally we are told Jesus healed a great multitude (Matt 12:15-21, Mark 3:7-12, Luke 6:17-19); and He healed the blind and the lame in the temple (Matt 21:14).
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED