The answer is, we don’t know how many miracles Jesus did during His life and earthly ministry on earth. We are unable to determine an actual count because we are told in four passages that Jesus healed many. Each of those healings is a miracle in and of itself, and we aren’t told how many there were. Plus there are many other miracles, like casting out demons, calming the waters, etc.
While we don’t know how many miracles were performed, we can count those that are clearly spoken of in the four gospel accounts. In doing that, we come up with 38 (please tell us if we missed any). But first…
Why Did Jesus Do Miracles?
Jesus did miracles for many reasons. First, Jesus told us that He came not to be ministered unto, but to minister (Mark 10:45) and in His miracles He certainly did that.
Another reason Jesus performed miracles was to reveal Himself as being sent by God, as being the Son of Man (a Messianic title), and as being the Son of God. Peter on the day of Pentecost affirmed this when he said that Jesus’ miracles showed Him to be “a man approved of God.” (Acts 2:22)
Jesus also did miracles to glorify the Father, because all miracles point to the Father (signs point to Jesus and a wonder points to the thing itself). The miracles Jesus did pointed to the Father in the power they displayed. Remember, Jesus had set aside His divinity, living only in His humanity, while here on earth. So His miracles were done by the power of the Holy Spirit who descended upon Him at His baptism and worked in and through Him. Again, on the day of Pentecost, Peter confirmed this by saying that God showed/proved Jesus by miracles, which He did through Jesus. (Acts 2:22).
One more reason for Jesus performing miracles was to give us a glimpse of that which is to come. One day all things will be made new by the power of God. The earth and all things in the earth will be restored to the perfection and perfect peace that was enjoyed in the Garden. God’s plan of redemption and restoration will be completed and that will be a miracle of glory displayed forever.
The Miracles Recorded in the Gospels
- Turned water into wine at the wedding in Cana — John 2:1-11
- Healed the nobleman’s son who was near death in Capernaum — John 4:46-54
- Healed a demoniac at the synagogue in Capernaum — Mark 1:21-28, Luke 4:38-39
- Healed Peter’s mother-in-law who had a high fever — Matt 8:14-17, Mark 1:29-31, Luke 4:38-39
- Healed many and cast out demon at sunset — Mark 1:32-34, Luke 4:40-41
- Gave a miraculous catch of fish to disciples while He was in the boat with them — Luke 5:4-11
- Healed a leper — Matt 8:2-4, Mark 1:40-45, Luke 5:12-16
- Healed a paralytic — Matt 9:2-8, Mark 2:1-12, Luke 5:17-26
- Healed a crippled man at the Pool of Bethesda — John 5:2-15
- Healed a withered hand in the synagogue — Matt 12:9-14, Mark 3:7-12, Luke 6:17-19
- Healed many — Matt 12:15-21, Mark 3:7-12, Luke 6:17-19
- Healed centurion’s servant — Matte 8:5-13, Luke 7:1-10
- Raised widow’s son at Nain — Luke 7:11-17
- Healed demon-possessed — man Matt 12:22-23, Mark 3:20
- Calmed a storm — Matt 8:22-23, Mark 4:36-41, Luke 8:23-25
- Cast out a legion of demons — Matt 8:28-34, Mark 5:1-20, Luke 8:26-39
- Healed woman with an issue of blood — Matt 9:20-22, Mark 5:24-34, Luke 8:42-48
- Raised Jairus’s daughter — Matt 9:23-26, Mark 5:35-43, Luke 8:49-56
- Healed two blind men — Matt 9:27-31
- Healed a mute demoniac — Matt 9:32-34
- Healed many, fed five thousand — Matt 14:13-21, Mark 6:30-44, Luke 9:10-17, John 6:1-14
- Walked on water & calmed a storm — Matt 14:22-33, Mark 6:45-52, John 6:16-21
- Healed a woman of Canaan’s daughter — Matt 15:21-28, Mark 7:24-30
- Healed a deaf and mute man — Mark 7:31-37
- Healed many & fed four thousand — Matt 15:29-39, Mark 8:1-10
- Healed blind man of Bethsaida — Mark 8:22-26
- Healed demoniac boy — Matt 17:14-19, Mark 9:14-29, Luke 9:37-43
- Gave a coin in the mouth of a fish to pay taxes — Matt 17:24-27
- Healed a man who was born blind — John 9:1-7
- Healed a crippled woman on the Sabbath — Luke 13:10-13
- Healed a man with dropsy on the Sabbath — Luke 14:2-6
- Raised Lazarus from the grave — Luke 14:2-6
- Cleansed ten lepers — Luke 17:11-14
- Healed two blind men near Jericho — Matt 20:29-34, Mark 10:46-52, Luke 18:35-43
- Healed many in the temple — Matt 21:14
- Healed the severed ear of the High Priest — Luke 22:51
- Rose from the dead — Matt 28:1-20, Mark 16:1-19, Luke 24:1-53, John 20:1-31
- Gave a miraculous catch of fish to disciples while He stood on the shore — John 21:1-8
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store