The answer is, we don’t know how many miracles Jesus did during His life and earthly ministry on earth. We are unable to determine an actual count because we are told in four passages that Jesus healed many. Each of those healings is a miracle in and of itself, and we aren’t told how many there were. Plus there are many other miracles, like casting out demons, calming the waters, etc.
While we don’t know how many miracles were performed, we can count those that are clearly spoken of in the four gospel accounts. In doing that, we come up with 38 (please tell us if we missed any). But first…
Why Did Jesus Do Miracles?
Jesus did miracles for many reasons. First, Jesus told us that He came not to be ministered unto, but to minister (Mark 10:45) and in His miracles He certainly did that.
Another reason Jesus performed miracles was to reveal Himself as being sent by God, as being the Son of Man (a Messianic title), and as being the Son of God. Peter on the day of Pentecost affirmed this when he said that Jesus’ miracles showed Him to be “a man approved of God.” (Acts 2:22)
Jesus also did miracles to glorify the Father, because all miracles point to the Father (signs point to Jesus and a wonder points to the thing itself). The miracles Jesus did pointed to the Father in the power they displayed. Remember, Jesus had set aside His divinity, living only in His humanity, while here on earth. So His miracles were done by the power of the Holy Spirit who descended upon Him at His baptism and worked in and through Him. Again, on the day of Pentecost, Peter confirmed this by saying that God showed/proved Jesus by miracles, which He did through Jesus. (Acts 2:22).
One more reason for Jesus performing miracles was to give us a glimpse of that which is to come. One day all things will be made new by the power of God. The earth and all things in the earth will be restored to the perfection and perfect peace that was enjoyed in the Garden. God’s plan of redemption and restoration will be completed and that will be a miracle of glory displayed forever.
The Miracles Recorded in the Gospels
- Turned water into wine at the wedding in Cana — John 2:1-11
- Healed the nobleman’s son who was near death in Capernaum — John 4:46-54
- Healed a demoniac at the synagogue in Capernaum — Mark 1:21-28, Luke 4:38-39
- Healed Peter’s mother-in-law who had a high fever — Matt 8:14-17, Mark 1:29-31, Luke 4:38-39
- Healed many and cast out demon at sunset — Mark 1:32-34, Luke 4:40-41
- Gave a miraculous catch of fish to disciples while He was in the boat with them — Luke 5:4-11
- Healed a leper — Matt 8:2-4, Mark 1:40-45, Luke 5:12-16
- Healed a paralytic — Matt 9:2-8, Mark 2:1-12, Luke 5:17-26
- Healed a crippled man at the Pool of Bethesda — John 5:2-15
- Healed a withered hand in the synagogue — Matt 12:9-14, Mark 3:7-12, Luke 6:17-19
- Healed many — Matt 12:15-21, Mark 3:7-12, Luke 6:17-19
- Healed centurion’s servant — Matte 8:5-13, Luke 7:1-10
- Raised widow’s son at Nain — Luke 7:11-17
- Healed demon-possessed — man Matt 12:22-23, Mark 3:20
- Calmed a storm — Matt 8:22-23, Mark 4:36-41, Luke 8:23-25
- Cast out a legion of demons — Matt 8:28-34, Mark 5:1-20, Luke 8:26-39
- Healed woman with an issue of blood — Matt 9:20-22, Mark 5:24-34, Luke 8:42-48
- Raised Jairus’s daughter — Matt 9:23-26, Mark 5:35-43, Luke 8:49-56
- Healed two blind men — Matt 9:27-31
- Healed a mute demoniac — Matt 9:32-34
- Healed many, fed five thousand — Matt 14:13-21, Mark 6:30-44, Luke 9:10-17, John 6:1-14
- Walked on water & calmed a storm — Matt 14:22-33, Mark 6:45-52, John 6:16-21
- Healed a woman of Canaan’s daughter — Matt 15:21-28, Mark 7:24-30
- Healed a deaf and mute man — Mark 7:31-37
- Healed many & fed four thousand — Matt 15:29-39, Mark 8:1-10
- Healed blind man of Bethsaida — Mark 8:22-26
- Healed demoniac boy — Matt 17:14-19, Mark 9:14-29, Luke 9:37-43
- Gave a coin in the mouth of a fish to pay taxes — Matt 17:24-27
- Healed a man who was born blind — John 9:1-7
- Healed a crippled woman on the Sabbath — Luke 13:10-13
- Healed a man with dropsy on the Sabbath — Luke 14:2-6
- Raised Lazarus from the grave — Luke 14:2-6
- Cleansed ten lepers — Luke 17:11-14
- Healed two blind men near Jericho — Matt 20:29-34, Mark 10:46-52, Luke 18:35-43
- Healed many in the temple — Matt 21:14
- Healed the severed ear of the High Priest — Luke 22:51
- Rose from the dead — Matt 28:1-20, Mark 16:1-19, Luke 24:1-53, John 20:1-31
- Gave a miraculous catch of fish to disciples while He stood on the shore — John 21:1-8
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR