There’s a popular Christmas song that asks the question, “Mary, did you know…?”
Mary, did you know that your baby boy would one day walk on water? Mary, did you know that your baby boy would save our sons and daughters? Did you know that your baby boy…will give sight to a blind man? Calm a storm with His hand? Mary, did you know that your baby boy is Lord all creation? Did you know that your baby boy was Heaven’s perfect Lamb? And the sleeping Child you’re holding Is the Great I AM?
The song is beautiful, but it doesn’t really answer the question of what Mary actually knew. Does the Bible tell us? What information is given about her knowledge of God’s purpose and plan for her life and her Son’s life? Oh, Mary, what did you know?
What DID Mary know BEFORE Jesus was born?
- Mary knew she was a Jew, born of the tribe of Judah (Matt 1). She knew that her name was the same as that of Moses and Aaron’s sister, Miriam (Exo 15:20).
- Mary knew that she was a virgin (Luke 1:27)
- Mary knew Joseph was not the father of the child she was carrying. And that by Law he had every right to “put her away” (divorce, or end the betrothal). (Matt 1:19)
- We can assume that Mary knew Joseph loved her because he chose to divorce her privately (Matt 1:29). She may have known that an angel appeared to Joseph and told him to take her as his wife for the child she was carrying was conceived by the Holy Spirit (Mat 1:20-21).
- Mary knew that Joseph was also of the tribe of Judah (Matt 1) as she was. She also knew that the Messiah would be born of a descendant from that tribe. (Ps 132:11)
- Mary knew that her son would be a “Holy Child” and would be great and be called “the Son of the Highest” (Luke 1:32) and “the Son of God.” (Luke 1:35) And that He would sit on the throne of David, reign over the house of Jacob (Israel), and His kingdom would have no end (Luke 1:33)
- Mary knew that her pregnancy was a miracle. (Luke 1:34-37)
- Mary knew that she was a lowly handmaid. But she was committed to the Lord and she knew she was willing to serve according to God’s will (Luke 1:38).
- Mary knew that the Lord had chosen her and had given her this great honor to bring forth the Messiah (Luke 1:48-49)
- Mary knew that her son’s name would be Jesus (Luke 1:31) and that He would save His people from their sins (Mat 1:21)
What did Mary know AFTER Jesus was born?
Mary knew her child, born of a miraculous conception, was special.
- The shepherds came to see the Child after having been told by an angel (Luke 2:11-12).
- Wise men came from the East seeking to see the One, born King of the Jews. (Matt 2:2ff) They came and worshipped Him and gave Him precious gifts of great value (Mat 2:11).
- Mary knew that devout Simeon proclaimed Jesus to be the salvation from the Lord, a light to the Gentiles, and the glory of Israel (Luke 2:30). She knew that her child would be destined to cause the falling and rising of many in Israel, and would be a sign that would be spoken against. (Luke 2:34)
- Mary also knew that the thoughts of many hearts would be revealed. But a sword would pierce her own soul. (Luke 2:35)
- Mary knew that Anna, the praying prophetess in the Temple, spoke of her child to all who were looking forward to the redemption of Jerusalem (Luke 2:38).
Mary kept all these things and pondered them in her heart. (Luke 2:19)
Lessons to be Learned from Mary
- Be humble and present yourself to God, to be used by Him. Mary considered herself a handmaid/servant of the Lord. We should not think highly of ourselves, but rather humble ourselves before God (James 4:10, 1 Pet 5:60.
- Be willing to be used by God. Mary willingly yielded herself to God. She was surrendered to do His will (James 4:7). We must “die to self” to live for God. (Luke 9:23)
- Seek the wisdom of mature brothers and sisters in the faith. Mary turned to an elder, both in age and in the faith (her cousin Elizabeth), to find a better understanding of all that she had been told. We should turn to brothers and sisters in Christ to help us grow in biblical understanding and faithful living. (James 3:13)
- Trust and obey. (1 Tim 4:10) When God reveals His truths, His will, and His ways to you, ponder them in your heart. Mary did! (Luke 2:19) With what Mary DID know and with what she did NOT know, Mary lived for God’s purposes and plan to use her to give birth to and raise His Son, our Lord Jesus. May we now live with love for Him, in His service, for His glory, for our good, and with love may we glorify God by loving and serving our neighbors.
The Season of Advent (the 4 weeks before Christmas)
How Do We “Take” Advent and Find Rest?
HOPE Advent Candle 1 – Prophecy Gives Hope (video)
LOVE Advent Candle 2 – Promise Reveals Love (video)
JOY Advent Candle 3 – Jesus Is Our Joy (video)
PEACE Advent Candle 4 – Pause to Find Peace (video)
Christmas Day: When Love Was Born — Light the CHRIST Candle
What is the Prophetic Symbolism of Advent Candles?
Christmas-themed GOT QUESTIONS?
- What are the Events of Jesus’ Birth? A Simple Timeline and Chronology
- What do Zelophehad’s Daughters have to do with Christmas?
- Misconceptions about the Journey to Bethlehem (video)
- Errors in the Nativity Story? Is Jesus’ birthplace wrong?
- Who were the Three Wise Men? Fact or legend?
- How Did the Wise Men Know to Follow His Star?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 Days After Jesus’ Birth? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the significance of the Three Kings' gifts?
- Was Jesus born in a stable, a cave, or a house?
- Was Jesus born in September (not December?)
- Should we celebrate Jesus’ birthday in September?
- Does “Xmas” Cross Jesus Out of Christmas?
- What is the Prophetic Symbolism of Advent Candles?
- The Most Important Lesson for YOU in the Nativity Story?
- Was Mary a Levite, making Jesus both King and Priest?
- Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?
- How did Jesus become a man?
- Do You Get These 7 Things Right or Wrong About the Nativity Story?
- Are You Stuck in the Middle This Christmas? (short video lessons from the popular comedy TV show "The Middle.")
- What are the Prophecies of Christmas? (video)
- Where are the genealogies of Jesus in Mark and John?
- Why Are There Two Different Genealogies for Jesus?
- Should I Say “Happy Holidays” Instead of “Merry Christmas?
- Scripture Cookies – Fun for the Whole Family!
- A Boastful Christmas Letter
- Peace Delivers Hope
- Promise Ignites Hope
- Preparation Produces Hope
- Prophesy Reveals Hope
- Alone at Christmas? Feeling lonely?
- Another reason God came to dwell with man.
- How can you have a white Christmas without snow?
- Christmas, abortion, and Joseph, the forgotten man of Christmas
- Remember the Wonder of Christmas
- Will you find rest, peace, and joy this advent season?
- A Christmas Morning Prayer by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
- The Most Beautiful O Holy Night O Night Divine, when Christ was Born
- A Baby Changes Everything, by Faith Hill
- Mary, Did You Know?
- While You Were Sleeping — A Wake Up Call for America
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, performed by Casting Crowns
- Mary’s Child — from the movie, A Christmas Wish
- The True Meaning of Christmas: The Sacrifice Began (How Many Kings)
- What If You Had Been There When Jesus Was Born? (video)
- Pause to Find Hope. Receive the Promises of God. See Jesus. Hear God’s Plan.
- Christmas Trivia Fun
- Songs of Christmas Series: Away in a Manger; Mary, Did You Know? The Rose of Bethlehem; Good Christian Men Rejoice; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; I Wonder As I Wander; What Child Is This? The First Noel In the Bleak Midwinter (a golden oldie)
Have You Heard About This Baby Boy? A most beautiful rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, with a Christmas message to touch your heart and give joy to your soul.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas