Excerpt from Why the Butterfly? Rightly Remembering Jesus
During this hectic time, take a few minutes to pause and reflect on the magnitude of God’s mercy and grace. His gift of sacrifice didn’t start at the cross. It was predestined from before the foundation of the world and was proclaimed in Genesis 3:15 when, after the fall of man, the Lord God said to the serpent:
I will put enmity between thee and the woman, and between thy seed and her seed; it shall bruise thy head, and thou shalt bruise his heel. (Genesis 3:15)
This is commonly referred to as the proto-evangelium— the first announcement of the gospel. It is the first revelation of God’s mercy and grace in His plan to rescue and redeem man. It is also the first prophecy in the Bible and promises the cross, victory over sin and death, and the coming Messiah, the promised seed Who will accomplish it. God promised to send a Saviour, a rescuer, and He fulfilled that promise with the birth of His only begotten Son, the Lord Jesus Christ.
The Incarnation of the Lord Jesus Christ
The Father’s sacrifice for His children began with the incarnation of Christ. And, oh, what a sacrifice it was! Jesus left the heavenly realm and entered into our world. He took on human flesh and become one of us.
For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given…and his name shall be called Wonderful… (Isaiah 9:6)
Ponder the wonder of Christ’s birth and rejoice in God’s gift that brought Light into a dark world. Consider how Deity transcended time and space, and entered into humanity. When Jesus, the Lord of Glory, humbled himself and came to earth; when royalty, the King of kings, entered into poverty.
Christmas is a Time of Wonder
Recall the words of the popular Christmas carol that proclaims, “It’s the most wonderful time of the year…” The word “wonderful” is defined as full of wonder, or wonder filled.
When you consider the incarnation of Jesus Christ are you filled with great wonder? Do you remember it with the same awe and reverence that Easter evokes? Or, has the wonder of Christmas been overshadowed by too many family and social gatherings, holiday festivities and traditions? Has Christmas become a time of busyness and stress?
Many of the holiday activities can eclipse the wonder of God’s sacrifice, given to us when Jesus became a man. So let’s remember that first Christmas day and put the “wonder” back into our hearts.
Read more Power of Hope articles here.
Excerpted from: Why the Butterfly? A Book About Rightly Remembering Jesus, pg 49, available at www.reasonsforhopeJesus.com/store
The Season of Advent (the 4 weeks before Christmas)
Will You Find Rest This Advent Season?
HOPE Advent Candle 1 – Prophecy Gives Hope (video)
LOVE Advent Candle 2 – Promise Reveals Love (video)
JOY Advent Candle 3 – Jesus Is Our Joy (video)
PEACE Advent Candle 4 – Pause to Find Peace (video)
Christmas Day: When Love Was Born — Light the CHRIST Candle
Christmas-themed GOT QUESTIONS?
- Misconceptions about the Journey to Bethlehem (video)
- Errors in the Nativity Story? Is Jesus’ birthplace wrong?
- Who were the Three Wise Men? Fact or legend?
- How Did the Wise Men Know to Follow His Star?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 Days After Jesus’ Birth? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the significance of the Three Kings' gifts?
- Was Jesus born in a stable, a cave, or a house?
- Was Jesus born in September (not December?)
- Should we celebrate Jesus’ birthday in September?
- Does “Xmas” Cross Jesus Out of Christmas?
- What is the Prophetic Symbolism of Advent Candles?
- The Most Important Lesson for YOU in the Nativity Story?
- Was Mary a Levite, making Jesus both King and Priest?
- Should Christians Celebrate Christmas?
- How did Jesus become a man?
- Do You Get These 7 Things Right or Wrong About the Nativity Story?
- Are You Stuck in the Middle This Christmas? (short video lessons from the popular comedy TV show "The Middle.")
- What are the Prophecies of Christmas? (video)
- Where are the genealogies of Jesus in Mark and John?
- Why Are There Two Different Genealogies for Jesus?
- Should I Say “Happy Holidays” Instead of “Merry Christmas?”
- A Boastful Christmas Letter
- Peace Delivers Hope
- Promise Ignites Hope
- Preparation Produces Hope
- Prophesy Reveals Hope
- Alone at Christmas? Feeling lonely?
- Another reason God came to dwell with man.
- How can you have a white Christmas without snow?
- Christmas, abortion, and Joseph, the forgotten man of Christmas
- Remember the Wonder of Christmas
- Will you find rest, peace, and joy this advent season?
- A Christmas Morning Prayer by Robert Louis Stevenson (1850-1894)
- I Heard the Bells on Christmas Day, by Henry Wadsworth Longfellow, performed by Casting Crowns
- Mary’s Child — from the movie, A Christmas Wish
- The True Meaning of Christmas: The Sacrifice Began (How Many Kings)
- What If You Had Been There When Jesus Was Born? (video)
- Pause To Find Hope. Receive the Promises of God. See Jesus. Hear God’s Plan.
- Christmas Trivia Fun
- Songs of Christmas Series: Away in a Manger; Mary, Did You Know? Rose of Bethlehem; Good Christian Men Rejoice; Hark! The Herald Angels Sing; I Wonder As I Wander; What Child Is This? The First Noel In the Bleak Midwinter (a golden oldie)
Have You Heard About This Baby Boy? A most beautiful rendition of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah, with a Christmas message to touch your heart and give joy to your soul.
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
- Is it a sin to be FAT?
- To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
- What is MAUNDY THURSDAY about?
- What is the UNPARDONABLE sin? What if I commit it?
- Will Impure Thoughts Condemn Me? How do I fight them?
- Who were the Nephalim?
- To Tat or Not to Tat (Tattoo). Is that the Question?
- Is there a HIDEN MESSAGE in Genesis 5?
- Did Pilate Proclaim Jesus to be God?
- Does God create EVIL as Isaiah 45:7 says?
- Are we the Bride of Christ now or is that future?
- Is there an ERROR in Genesis 2:17 because Adam and Eve didn't die?
- Are the Jews of today still the CHOSEN people of God?
- Is there a HIDDEN MESSAGE in Revelation 7?
- How should I WITNESS to Jehovah's Witnesses?