It’s been reported that in the last election more than 20 million Christians did not vote.¹ Is that the right thing to do? Is it okay to not cast a vote for president? And, is there a correlation between voting and praying?
I’ll explain how voting is like praying, but first let’s answer some of the many questions about whether or not to vote.
The Right Thing?
The Bible tells us that if we know to do the right thing (to do good) and do not do it, then we are sinning (James 4:17). That is called a sin of omission. So, is not voting a sin of omission? The answer lies in determining if the right thing is to vote.
Some would say that choosing to NOT vote in this election is the right thing to do. Their reasoning is that both candidates oppose God’s principles and precepts. And even though both candidates claim to be Christian, neither one represents what God teaches.
Is that a legitimate reason not to vote? Or is it simply doing what’s right in one’s own eyes? (We all know how that turned out in the time of the judges of Israel.)
Not Liking the Candidates
Daniel 2:21 and 4:17 tell us that God is the One who raises up kings (that would be Presidents in our time). He puts them in place and He deposes them (He is sovereign). Therefore, both Donald Trump and Hillary Clinton have been raised up by God (or allowed to rise up) to run for the office of President of the United States That removes any justification for not voting based on not having an acceptable (in one’s own eyes) candidate. It also removes the objection that neither is God’s choice (God’s will) for our country’s leadership. God could have raised up others, but these are the two candidates we have. So to not vote for one of them is to negate that God is sovereign over both the election and the choice of candidates. Remember, it was God who raised up Nebuchadnezzar to overtake Jerusalem and deport His people to Babylon.
Habakkuk 1:6-7 For indeed I am raising up the Chaldeans [Nebuchadnezzar and the Babylonian army], A bitter and hasty nation which marches through the breadth of the earth, To possess dwelling places that are not theirs. They are terrible and dreadful; Their judgment and their dignity proceed from themselves.
I’ll bet the people in Jerusalem didn’t like the Chaldeans, but that doesn’t change the fact that God raised them up according to His plan and for His purposes.
Not only did God raise up our two candidates for President, His pattern for government is also reflected in our form of government.
Our nation’s founding fathers were men who believed in God and His Word. They read the Bible, they prayed, and they patterned our government after God’s precepts and principles. There’s a very interesting verse in the book of Isaiah that points us to God’s pattern of rule. In this verse, we see a revelation of the pattern that is found in our three-branch form of government. You’ll find this quite interesting. Read Is the U.S. Government in the Book of Isaiah? (link is also at end of this article)
Understanding that God “raised up” our form of government, we must look to His Word to determine our personal responsibility as it relates to our God-ordained governing powers and processes. The Bible tells us that we are subject to the governing powers because God has put them in place. The Bible also tells that we are to submit to them.
Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.
1 Pet 2:13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord’s sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme.
We live in a country that allows us to participate in electing our leaders. God tells us that we are to subject ourselves to the governing powers, so that would also include submitting to the electoral process. I believe that means all Christians should vote.
How is Voting Like Praying?
God is sovereign over our nation, it’s leaders, and our government, including the electoral process. We know that God is sovereign over all things. Nothing happens that is outside God’s will (either His providential or permissive will). That often raises the question, why should we pray if God is going to do what He plans to do? And, since we know that God is a good Father and He loves us, why show we pray and ask for things?
The answer is simple. God speaks to us through His Word, and, in prayer, we speak to Him. When we take our cares and troubles, our questions and petitions, to God, we are privileged to be able to participate in what He is already doing in our lives. We pray “Thy will be done,” knowing that He is sovereign. We ask, with expectancy, knowing that He hears our prayers, listens and responds by working all things for His glory and our good
Yes, God is sovereign. And yes, God will work all things according to His purpose and plan. That is true in our lives and it is true in our country and our electoral process. Therefore, when we vote, we should feel honored that we are given the privilege to participate in what God is doing.
Is Not Voting a Sin?
Remember James wrote that failing to do the right thing is a sin. So, is voting the right thing? Is not voting a sin? I’ll let you make the final decision on that.
I think I’ve made a pretty good case for voting. I believe it is our civic duty, as well as our God-given privilege, to cast our vote in the election. However, with that said, remember that God loves you. He loves you whether or not you vote. He won’t love you more if you vote. And, He won’t love you less if you do not vote. The real question is, why wouldn’t you want to vote? Why wouldn’t you want to participate in what God is doing in raising up our next President?
If you choose not to vote, don’t use the excuse, “I didn’t vote, because I don’t like either candidate.” Maybe just do what Franklin Graham recommended at his Decision America Tours, “Just hold your nose and vote.” (Was he saying that both candidates stink? LOL) Remember, God raises up kings. And, He will raise up one of the two candidates to be our next President.
Daniel 2:21 [God] changes the times and the seasons; He removes kings and raises up kings…
Daniel 4:17 …the Most High rules in the kingdom of men, Gives it to whomever He will, And sets over it the lowest of men.
Ask for Wisdom…then VOTE!
Casting your vote should always be done with the guidance of the Lord. The Bible tells us to ask for wisdom and it will be given (James 1:5). Pray before you vote:
- Remember to thank God for the freedoms He has given us and the privilege we have to vote for our leaders.
- Remember that Jesus is our True King (Read Is the U.S. Government in the Book of Isaiah?).
- Prayerfully and carefully seek God regarding which candidate to vote for. There are really only two choices (writing in the name of a candidate that God has not raised up for the office of President is to deny God’s work in ordaining our next President).
- Evaluate the candidates based upon which one is most likely to uphold biblical precepts and principles.
- Understand what both the Republican and Democratic platforms stand for and compare them to what God says in the Bible.
- Consider the power the next President will have in appointing Supreme Court Justices and the profound effect the judges have for many decades.
- Remember that whichever candidate wins, our next President will be used by God to fulfill His purpose and plan for our nation and its people.
- Remember the spiritual freedom you have been given in Christ and then participate in the political freedom we still have.
VOTE on November 8th
Since July 4, we have been sharing inspiration and prayers on our “Pause to Pray for our Nation and its People” page. Every Friday we have posted a short video. Some are former Presidents who have spoken words of faith and prayer. Others are current evangelists who testify of Christ and give encouragement from His Word. Take a minute to watch a few of the videos and be inspired and encouraged to be a witness for Jesus and share His love and His truths with a lost and dying world.
Memorial Day, 4th of July, Patriotic Articles & Videos
- Amazing Grace Bagpipes Memorial Day Tribue (A moving video to true heroes.)
- Watch 24 Reasons Why I Love America, by John Wayne (a must-see, moving video)
- Dependent Independence (video)
- Is Memorial Day Biblical?
- We Will Remember (video)
- Memories in the Cloud Staggering statistics of American deaths in all US wars. Always remember the cost.
- All Gave Some and Some Gave All – Our Fallen Heroes
- Pause to Pray (video)
- President Ronald Reagan Sharing A WWI Soldier’s Pledge (video)
- Biblical Faith During WWII
- Memories in the Cloud
- A Day to Remember (video)
- Words from the White House about our Christian Nation
- What Would Billy Graham Say…about the Election?
- Watch as Former Presidents Pray and Proclaim Faith in God and His Word (video)
- Is Not Voting a Sin? How is Voting Like Praying?
- Measured By Our Words: The Wisdom of Calvin Coolidge
- Is America a Christian Nation?
- National Day of Prayer
- At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- Two Minute Tribute to Those Who Gave Their All -- by Pres. Ronald Reagan (video)
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace (video)
- Forget Not…Three Remembrances on Memorial Day
- The Land of the Free (video)
- Thank You, God, for Freedom (video)
- The White House: Shrouded in Color or Covered in God’s Word?
- Their Legacy of Freedom Lives On - video
- No Greater Love: In Memory of Our Fallen Heroes -video
- A Prayer to Pray on Independence Day (video)
- "You Will Hear of Wars and Rumors of Wars"
- Grateful for Our Heroes - Memorial Day Tribute
- National Day of Prayer
- Which President said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- What Did President Reagan Say About Racism and Marxism?
- Should We Not Repeat Prayers Because of Vain Repetitions? (Matt 6:7)
- Do You Say or Pray The Lord’s Prayer? by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
- Can You Pray St Patrick’s Prayer?
- Hear My Prayer, O Lord – 12 Supplications
- A Prayer for Peace in a Troubled World
- A Little Girl’s Prayer for Her Daddy
- The LORD Receives My Prayer
- A Heart for God Revealed in St. Patrick’s Prayer (video)
- Prayers from Billy Graham
- Incessant Prayer (Communion with God)
- The Word and Prayer Together
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (Take a fun vision test.)
- Should We Only Pray to the Father as Jesus Taught? Or Is It Okay to Pray to Jesus and the Spirit?
- National Day of Prayer
- Which President Said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- Effectual Praying
- PAUSE TO PRAY
- And Hezekiah Prayed
- Is Not Voting a Sin? And, how is voting like praying?
- Praying Like The Master
- Pause to Pray for Children
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- A Christmas Morning Prayer
- Why didn’t God answer my prayers and heal my loved one?
- What are the various types of prayer? How should I pray?
- Why does the Catholic church pray to “saints,” if Jesus is the only one who can answer prayers?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
¹ Statistic from Franklin Graham at the Decision America Tour