It’s been reported that in the 2020 presidential election that more than 80 million Christians did not vote.¹ Is that the right thing to do? Is it okay not to vote in elections? And, is there a correlation between voting and praying?
I’ll explain how voting is like praying, but first, let’s answer some of the many questions about whether or not to vote.
The Right Thing?
The Bible tells us that if we know to do the right thing (to do good) and do not do it, then we are sinning (James 4:17). That is called a sin of omission. So, is not voting a sin of omission? The answer lies in determining if the right thing is to vote.
Some would say that choosing NOT to vote is the right thing to do. They often reason that both candidates oppose God’s principles and precepts. And even though both candidates claim to be Christian, neither one represents what God teaches.
Is that a legitimate reason not to vote? Or is it simply doing what’s right in one’s own eyes? (We all know how that turned out in the time of the judges of Israel.)
Not Liking the Candidates
Daniel 2:21 and 4:17 tell us that God is the One who raises up kings (that would be Presidents in our time). He puts them in place, and He deposes them because He is sovereign over all things. Therefore, in a presidential election, God has raised up (or allowed to rise up) the candidates who run for office. The same would be true in other elections. God moves in all things and works His plan according to His purpose.
That removes any justification for not voting based on not having an acceptable (in one’s own eyes) candidate. It also removes the objection that neither is God’s choice (God’s will) for our country’s leadership. So not voting because one doesn’t like the candidates is to negate that God is sovereign over both the election and the choice of candidates. Remember, it was God who raised up Nebuchadnezzar to overtake Jerusalem and deport His people to Babylon.
Habakkuk 1:6-7 For indeed I am raising up the Chaldeans [Nebuchadnezzar and the Babylonian army], A bitter and hasty nation which marches through the breadth of the earth, To possess dwelling places that are not theirs. They are terrible and dreadful; Their judgment and their dignity proceed from themselves.
I’ll bet the people in Jerusalem didn’t like the Chaldeans, but that doesn’t change the fact that God raised them up according to His plan and for His purposes.
God’s Involvement in the Design of our Government
Not only does God raise up candidates, but He has also given us the pattern for our government.
Our nation’s founding fathers were men who believed in God and His Word. They read the Bible, prayed, and patterned our government after God’s precepts and principles. There’s a very interesting verse in the book of Isaiah that points us to God’s pattern of rule. In this verse, we see a revelation of the pattern that is found in our three-branch form of government. You’ll find this quite interesting. Read Is the U.S. Government in the Book of Isaiah? (link is also at end of this article)
Understanding that God “raised up” our form of government, we must look to His Word to determine our personal responsibility relating to our God-ordained governing powers and processes. The Bible tells us that we are subject to the governing powers because God has put them in place. The Bible also tells that we are to submit to them.
Rom 13:1 Let every soul be subject to the governing authorities. For there is no authority except from God, and the authorities that exist are appointed by God.
1 Pet 2:13 Submit yourselves to every ordinance of man for the Lord’s sake: whether it be to the king, as supreme.
We live in a country that allows us to participate in electing our leaders. God tells us that we should subject ourselves to the governing powers, which would include submitting to the electoral process. I believe that means all Christians should vote.
How is Voting Like Praying?
God is sovereign over our nation, leaders, and government, including the electoral process. We know that God is sovereign over all things. Nothing happens that is outside God’s will (either His providential or permissive will). That often raises the question, why should we pray if God is going to do what He plans to do? And, since we know that God is a good Father and He loves us, why show we pray and ask for things?
The answer is simple. God speaks to us through His Word, and in prayer, we speak to Him. When we take our cares and troubles, our questions and petitions, to God, we are privileged to be able to participate in what He is already doing in our lives. We pray “Thy will be done,” knowing that He is sovereign. We ask, with confident expectancy, knowing that He hears our prayers, listens, and responds by working all things for His glory and our good
Yes, God is sovereign. And yes, God will work all things according to His purpose and plan. That is true in our lives, true in our country, and true in our electoral process. Therefore, when we vote, we should feel honored that we are privileged to participate in what God is doing.
Is Not Voting a Sin?
So, is voting the right thing to do? Yes.
Is not voting a sin? No.
It’s not a sin. It’s not even a dereliction of duty. It is a privilege! So also, is prayer a privilege. Therefore, not voting is a dereliction of privilege.
I think I’ve made a pretty good case for voting. I believe it is our civic duty, as well as our God-given privilege, to cast our vote in the election. However, with that said, remember that God loves you. And He loves you whether or not you vote. He won’t love you more if you vote. And, He won’t love you less if you do not vote. The real question is, why wouldn’t you want to vote? Why wouldn’t you want to participate in what God is doing in raising up leaders in our country?
If you choose not to vote, don’t use the excuse, “I didn’t vote, because the candidates are bad.” That is not an excuse. Remember, God raised them up. We are blessed that we have a choice, and sometimes that choice is simply the least “bad.”
Daniel 2:21 [God] changes the times and the seasons; He removes kings and raises up kings…
Daniel 4:17 …the Most High rules in the kingdom of men, Gives it to whomever He will, And sets over it the lowest of men.
Ask for Wisdom…then VOTE!
Casting your vote should always be done with the guidance of the Lord. The Bible tells us to ask for wisdom, and it will be given (James 1:5). Pray before you vote:
- Remember to thank God for the freedoms He has given us and the privilege we have to vote for our leaders.
- Remember that Jesus is our True King (Read Is the U.S. Government in the Book of Isaiah?).
- Prayerfully and carefully seek God regarding which candidate to vote for. There are only two choices (writing in the name of a candidate that God has not raised up is to deny God’s work).
- Evaluate the candidates based upon which one is most likely to uphold biblical precepts and principles.
- Understand what both the Republican and the Democratic platforms stand for and compare them to what God says in the Bible.
- Consider the power that will be invested in the person for whom you vote. Are they governed by almighty God?
- Remember that whoever wins, he or she will be used by God to fulfill His purpose and plan for our nation and its people.
- Remember the spiritual freedom you have been given in Christ, and then participate in the political freedom we still have.
VOTE on November 8th
“Pause to Pray for our Nation and its People” Watch some videos of former Presidents who have spoken words of faith and prayer. Also, current evangelists, who testify of Christ and give encouragement from His Word. Be inspired and encouraged to be a witness for Jesus and share His love and His truths with a lost and dying world.
Memorial Day, 4th of July, Patriotic Articles & Videos
- 4th of July Word Search Puzzle
- Amazing Grace Bagpipes Memorial Day Tribue (A moving video to true heroes.)
- Watch 24 Reasons Why I Love America, by John Wayne (a must-see, moving video)
- Dependent Independence (video)
- Is Memorial Day Biblical?
- We Will Remember (video)
- Memories in the Cloud Staggering statistics of American deaths in all US wars.
- All Gave Some and Some Gave All – Our Fallen Heroes
- Pause to Pray (video)
- President Ronald Reagan Sharing A WWI Soldier’s Pledge (video)
- Biblical Faith During WWII
- Memories in the Cloud
- A Day to Remember (video)
- Words from the White House about our Christian Nation
- What Would Billy Graham Say…about the Election?
- Watch as Former Presidents Pray and Proclaim Faith in God and His Word (video)
- Is Not Voting a Sin? How is Voting Like Praying?
- Measured By Our Words: The Wisdom of Calvin Coolidge
- Is America a Christian Nation?
- National Day of Prayer
- At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- Two Minute Tribute to Those Who Gave Their All -- by Pres. Ronald Reagan (video)
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace (video)
- Forget Not…Three Remembrances on Memorial Day
- The Land of the Free (video)
- Thank You, God, for Freedom (video)
- The White House: Shrouded in Color or Covered in God’s Word?
- Their Legacy of Freedom Lives On - video
- No Greater Love: In Memory of Our Fallen Heroes -video
- A Prayer to Pray on Independence Day (video)
- "You Will Hear of Wars and Rumors of Wars"
- Grateful for Our Heroes - Memorial Day Tribute
- National Day of Prayer
- Which President said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- What Did President Reagan Say About Racism and Marxism?
- Should We Not Repeat Prayers Because of Vain Repetitions? (Matt 6:7)
- Do You Say or Pray The Lord’s Prayer? by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
- Can You Pray St Patrick’s Prayer?
- Hear My Prayer, O Lord – 12 Supplications
- A Prayer for Peace in a Troubled World
- A Little Girl’s Prayer for Her Daddy
- The LORD Receives My Prayer
- A Heart for God Revealed in St. Patrick’s Prayer (video)
- Prayers from Billy Graham
- Incessant Prayer (Communion with God)
- The Word and Prayer Together
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (Take a fun vision test.)
- Should We Only Pray to the Father as Jesus Taught? Or Is It Okay to Pray to Jesus and the Spirit?
- National Day of Prayer
- Which President Said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- Effectual Praying
- PAUSE TO PRAY
- And Hezekiah Prayed
- Is Not Voting a Sin? And, how is voting like praying?
- Praying Like The Master
- Pause to Pray for Children
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- A Christmas Morning Prayer
- Why didn’t God answer my prayers and heal my loved one?
- What are the various types of prayer? How should I pray?
- Why does the Catholic church pray to “saints,” if Jesus is the only one who can answer prayers?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas