Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
Fom the apostle Paul’s letter to the church at Ephesus,
- “I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.” (Ephesians 1:18-19 – NASB)
What is it you pray for when you pray for other “saints?” Do you pray they will find a job, or that they’ll be able to sell their house, or maybe, that they’ll get over the cold that is weighing them down? Do you pray that they’ll get along better with their siblings or that they’ll be able to find the right car to drive?
I’m of the mind that these things can be tabled before our Lord, but let me suggest that, as you and I progress in our knowledge of the Word of God, as we mature and are being conformed more and more into the image of Christ, our prayer life should be dramatically affected by the Scriptures.
I suggest to you that if we are in the Scriptures, reading and studying them as the Lord would have us do, our prayer life will be changed drastically. For within the Word are lessons in prayer, lessons on how the Lord would have us pray for one another.
Note our text. It is a prayer offered up by the apostle Paul for the “saints” he was writing to. He wants “the eyes of (their) heart” to “be enlightened.” He wants them to be “know” specific things, to have a “heart” that is like Christ’s heart, able to comprehend God’s will for His people. Praying God’s will for his readers, Paul wants them to have a “heart” that understands, that perceives certain very important things.
- “that you may know what is the hope of His calling”
We pray for one another that we might “know what is the hope” that God has for us, “the hope of His calling.” This “hope,” is it not that which God has for every soul He has saved? Is it not something every Christian needs to “know?” That God, in “His calling” of us, wants us to “know” that He desires that we be conformed to the image of His Son (Romans 8:28-29). That is “the hope of His calling” of us!
- “. . . what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints”
Oh yes! Pray, Paul says, that we, the “saints,” might “know . . . what are the riches of the glory” that is to come! That “inheritance . . . . . His inheritance,” that God has for His “saints,” that is made evident to the world “in the saints.” Brethren, no matter your state here on this planet, “the riches of the glory of His inheritance” are revealed in His Word and they are a treasure to one day be fully realized.
- “. . . what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe”
Pray, that we, the “saints,” might “know . . . what is the surpassing greatness of His power!” That “power” that raised Jesus, “know” that it can also raise us (note verses 20-22), that “power” that is able to save us from the penalty due our sin; It is God’s power” and it works in our very being (cf. 3:20-21) . . . that life-giving “power” that He has “toward us who believe.”
Ever pray this way for your brothers and sisters in Christ? Ever offer these substance prayers up to God for those you pray for?
The Lord teaches us in His Word how we are to pray for one another. This prayer here is just one of many that clearly expresses the will of God for our prayer life . . . . written down and passed down that you would “know” how it is you ought to pray.
Have a good day . . . and as you walk be in the Scriptures, and let them conform your prayer life to be like His prayer life.
- Should We Not Repeat Prayers Because of Vain Repetitions? (Matt 6:7)
- Do You Say or Pray The Lord’s Prayer? by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
- Can You Pray St Patrick’s Prayer?
- Hear My Prayer, O Lord – 12 Supplications
- A Prayer for Peace in a Troubled World
- A Little Girl’s Prayer for Her Daddy
- The LORD Receives My Prayer
- A Heart for God Revealed in St. Patrick’s Prayer (video)
- Prayers from Billy Graham
- Incessant Prayer (Communion with God)
- The Word and Prayer Together
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (Take a fun vision test.)
- Should We Only Pray to the Father as Jesus Taught? Or Is It Okay to Pray to Jesus and the Spirit?
- National Day of Prayer
- Which President Said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- Effectual Praying
- PAUSE TO PRAY
- And Hezekiah Prayed
- Is Not Voting a Sin? And, how is voting like praying?
- Praying Like The Master
- Pause to Pray for Children
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- A Christmas Morning Prayer
- Why didn’t God answer my prayers and heal my loved one?
- What are the various types of prayer? How should I pray?
- Why does the Catholic church pray to “saints,” if Jesus is the only one who can answer prayers?
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas