Fom the apostle Paul’s letter to the church at Ephesus,
- “I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.” (Ephesians 1:18-19 – NASB)
What is it you pray for when you pray for other “saints?” Do you pray they will find a job, or that they’ll be able to sell their house, or maybe, that they’ll get over the cold that is weighing them down? Do you pray that they’ll get along better with their siblings or that they’ll be able to find the right car to drive?
I’m of the mind that these things can be tabled before our Lord, but let me suggest that, as you and I progress in our knowledge of the Word of God, as we mature and are being conformed more and more into the image of Christ, our prayer life should be dramatically affected by the Scriptures.
I suggest to you that if we are in the Scriptures, reading and studying them as the Lord would have us do, our prayer life will be changed drastically. For within the Word are lessons in prayer, lessons on how the Lord would have us pray for one another.
Note our text. It is a prayer offered up by the apostle Paul for the “saints” he was writing to. He wants “the eyes of (their) heart” to “be enlightened.” He wants them to be “know” specific things, to have a “heart” that is like Christ’s heart, able to comprehend God’s will for His people. Praying God’s will for his readers, Paul wants them to have a “heart” that understands, that perceives certain very important things.
- “that you may know what is the hope of His calling”
We pray for one another that we might “know what is the hope” that God has for us, “the hope of His calling.” This “hope,” is it not that which God has for every soul He has saved? Is it not something every Christian needs to “know?” That God, in “His calling” of us, wants us to “know” that He desires that we be conformed to the image of His Son (Romans 8:28-29). That is “the hope of His calling” of us!
- “. . . what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints”
Oh yes! Pray, Paul says, that we, the “saints,” might “know . . . what are the riches of the glory” that is to come! That “inheritance . . . . . His inheritance,” that God has for His “saints,” that is made evident to the world “in the saints.” Brethren, no matter your state here on this planet, “the riches of the glory of His inheritance” are revealed in His Word and they are a treasure to one day be fully realized.
- “. . . what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe”
Pray, that we, the “saints,” might “know . . . what is the surpassing greatness of His power!” That “power” that raised Jesus, “know” that it can also raise us (note verses 20-22), that “power” that is able to save us from the penalty due our sin; It is God’s power” and it works in our very being (cf. 3:20-21) . . . that life-giving “power” that He has “toward us who believe.”
Ever pray this way for your brothers and sisters in Christ? Ever offer these substance prayers up to God for those you pray for?
The Lord teaches us in His Word how we are to pray for one another. This prayer here is just one of many that clearly expresses the will of God for our prayer life . . . . written down and passed down that you would “know” how it is you ought to pray.
Have a good day . . . and as you walk be in the Scriptures, and let them conform your prayer life to be like His prayer life.
- Should We Not Repeat Prayers Because of Vain Repetitions? (Matt 6:7)
- Do You Say or Pray The Lord’s Prayer? by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
- Can You Pray St Patrick’s Prayer?
- Hear My Prayer, O Lord – 12 Supplications
- A Prayer for Peace in a Troubled World
- A Little Girl’s Prayer for Her Daddy
- The LORD Receives My Prayer
- A Heart for God Revealed in St. Patrick’s Prayer (video)
- Prayers from Billy Graham
- Incessant Prayer (Communion with God)
- The Word and Prayer Together
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (Take a fun vision test.)
- Should We Only Pray to the Father as Jesus Taught? Or Is It Okay to Pray to Jesus and the Spirit?
- National Day of Prayer
- Why is Prayer Important?
- Effectual Praying
- PAUSE TO PRAY
- And Hezekiah Prayed
- Is Not Voting a Sin? And, how is voting like praying?
- Praying Like The Master
- Pause to Pray for Children
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- A Christmas Morning Prayer
- Why didn’t God answer my prayers and heal my loved one?
- What are the various types of prayer? How should I pray?
- Why does the Catholic church pray to “saints,” if Jesus is the only one who can answer prayers?
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store