Ever since Satan rebelled against God, he has been waging war against Him, His angels, and His people. Let’s contrast the Five I Will Statements of Satan’s rebellion with the five I Will statements of God’s promises in the Old Testament. Then let’s look at the seven “I Wills” of Jesus and His seven “I Am” statements.
The Five “I Wills” of Satan
In Isaiah 14:13-14 are five phrases expressing the sinful desires of Lucifer. Each begins with “I will” and reveals Satan’s self-sufficiency and his self-worship.
Isaiah 14:13-14 For you [Lucifer] have said in your heart:
- I will ascend into heaven,
- I will exalt my throne above the stars of God;
- I will also sit on the mount of the congregation In the sides of the north;
- I will ascend above the heights of the clouds,
- I will be like the Most High.
This passage is often referred to as The Five ˜I wills” of Satan. The statements reveal Satan’s sinful nature, his rebellion, his disobedience, his self-sufficiency, his pride, his self-exaltation, and his all-encompassing pride and arrogance.
For Satan, it’s all about him, and nothing about God.
John Milton, in his epic poem, “Paradise Lost,” expounded on the sinful nature of Satan’s heart using poetic license. Although not biblical words, Milton certainly describes Satan’s intent and desire when he “quotes” Satan as saying, “Better to reign in hell, than serve in heaven.”
The Five “I Wills” of God
In Exodus 6:6-8, found between two declarations of God’s Name (“I am the Lord…my name Jehovah” Ex 6:2-3 and “I am the Lord” Ex 6:8), are five precious “I Will” promises of God. In this passage, God tells what He will do to free His people (Ex 6:1).
- I will bring you out from under the burdens of the Egyptians (vs 6)
- I will take you to Me for a people (vs 7)
- I will be to you a God (vs 7)
- I will bring you in unto the land (vs 8)
- I will give it to you for a heritage. (vs 8)
The five “I Will” statements of Satan were sinful and brought death. The five “I Will” statements of God give hope and comfort. And, in the New Testament, the seven “I Will” statements of Jesus and His seven “I Am” statements give us assurance of who God is, what He has done for us, and will continue to do for us. They remind us of His love, grace, and mercy for us, and His faithfulness to us. They produce in us unbounded joy and overflowing love.
The Seven “I Wills” of Jesus
- I will make you fishers of men. (Matt 4:19)
- I will give you rest (Matt 11:28)
- I will keep you. (John 6:37)
- I will love you (John 14:21).
- I will do what you ask in my name. (John 14:14)
- I will come again and see you again (John 14:3, 16:22)
- I will send the [Holy Spirit] to you. (John 16:7)
The Seven “I Am” Statements of Jesus
- I am the bread of life (John 6:35)
- I am the light of the world (John 8:12)
- I am the gate for the sheep (John 10:7)
- I am the good shepherd (John 10:11)
- I am the resurrection and the life (John 11:25)
- I am the way and the truth and the life (John 14:6)
- I am the true vine (John 15:1)
Yes, there is a spiritual war that rages. Satan continues to rebel against his Creator and it’s always his desire to tempt you and deceive you. But don’t give Satan more power than he has. Remember, “greater is He that is in you [the Holy Spirit], than he that is in the world [Satan].” (1 John 4:4)
Also, remember that Satan’s power is limited. He can only do that which God allows. While Satan is called the god of this world (2 Cor 4:4) and the prince of this world (John 12:31), he is a small “g” god and a small “p” prince. Our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ is the omnipotent God of all creation and the reigning King over all kings and princes.
Jer 32:27 Behold, I am the LORD, the God of all flesh…
1 Tim 6:15 …[Jesus is] the blessed and only Potentate, the King of kings, and Lord of lords.
Everything belongs to God and He is sovereign over all things (including Satan and his minions).
Psa 89:11 The heavens are Yours, the earth also is Yours; The world and all its fullness, You have founded them.
Mat 28:18 And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, “All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth.
Read/watch more about Satan and his tactics:
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the Keys Of Death and Hell?
- Why Did Satan Rebel Against God?
- Where did the sin of Lucifer come from?
- How Does Satan Attach Christians? What are His Big Three Schemes?
- How Much Should I Fear Satan?
- Is Satan’s Real Name Lucifer? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- Does Satan have a stronger influence on Halloween?
- Can Satan put thoughts in our minds?
- Was Jesus a sacrifice to Satan?
- The “I Will” Statements of God and Satan and the “I Am” Statements of Jesus
- What Though The Vile Accuser Roar (song video)
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas