Yes, Satan does attack us. He schemes to do harm and to cause us to sin. However, we know from the life of Job, and must always remember, that Satan is restrained by God. Satan can’t do anything without God knowing about it and even controlling it (either by stopping it or allowing it). God providentially protects His children from the evil one. Yet He permissively allows trials, tribulations, pain, and suffering to enter our lives and to afflict us, but it’s always with a good reason and for a purpose that will be for our good and His glory. Often, when we find ourselves in the midst of a storm, it’s difficult to believe that it’s for our good, however, in such times, we must always return to that which we know:
- Our God is loving, faithful, and all powerful.
- Nothing happens to us that is not first “filtered” through His hands, His loving will, His faithful mercy, His amazing grace, and His all powerful control.
- In all things, He gives us His faithful mercy, His amazing grace, and His mighty strength to endure.
With assurance, of God’s presence, provision, and protection in all things, let’s address how Satan attacks us. His goal is to diminish our witness and steal our joy…and he is determined to accomplish his will. The list is unending because the evil one is ruthless, so we’ll look at three “big” schemes and then how they can be summed up in one subtle, but destructive, tactic.
The Big Three Schemes of Satan
- Satan schemes by using lies: He is the father of lies (John 8:44) and he attempts to deceive us by twisting or completely changing God’s Word with the purpose of confusion leading to sin.
- Satan schemes by using temptation: He works to set before us sinful things that will tempt us to sin. While Satan cannot inhabit us and make us sin, he can certainly mess with us and tempt us to sin.
- Satan schemes by using manipulation: While Satan is not all-powerful, he is very clever and skillful at manipulating situations and people—always to achieve his purpose of provoking us to sin.
All of Satan’s attacks are done with covert tactics. He is subtle and skillful in his ways. He uses deception to confuse and blind us, hoping we will fail to see the harm that lies before us and unable to hear God’s Spirit’s direction in our lives.
Satan’s desire is to provoke us to walk in the flesh and not live in the Spirit, to turn us from Jesus to false gods, from God’s ways to the ways of the world, from God’s will to our own selfish desires, from hope to despair, from belief to doubt, from faith to fear, from peace to anger, from satisfaction to neediness…and the list goes on and on. Satan’s hope is to shake our faith and do us harm.
Satan’s Schemes in One Word
All three of Satan’s schemes, lies, temptations, and manipulations—can be summed up in one word—DISTRACTION. From the Garden to our present day, Satan’s way has been to turn our heads, to direct our eyes, and to take our attention away from our God. He wants to distract us and direct our focus on worldly and fleshly desires. In the Garden, and with every one of us, he attacks using the lust of the eyes, the lust of the flesh, and the pride of life (Read Are there only three sins? What are they?).
C.S. Lewis illustrated this clearly in his book The Screwtape Letters, which tells of a senior demon, Screwtape, who instructs his apprentice nephew, Wormwood, on ways he can make Christians forget their beliefs, distance themselves from God, and ultimately sin. All of this, he taught, can be accomplished with distraction:
“What we want, if men become Christians at all, is to keep them in the state of mind I call ‘Christianity And’. You know—Christianity and the Crisis, Christianity and the New Psychology, Christianity and the New Order, Christianity and Faith Healing, Christianity and Psychical Research, Christianity and Vegetarianism, Christianity and Spelling Reform.”¹
Beware the Distractions of Satan
When Satan distracts us with “Christianity And” we become prey for his lies, temptations, and manipulations. But always remember, his three weapons cannot stand against the power that we have. “For greater is He that is in you, than he that is in the world” (1 John 4:4).
Just as Satan has the Big Three to cause us to sin, our command from God for righteous living is grounded in three practices. These three are the foundation of Christian faith:
- Love the Lord your God with all your heart,
- Love the Lord your God with all your soul, and
- Love the Lord your God with all your mind.
The foundation of everything is love (heart) which is the “fuel” of the soul, and the “food” for our mind. Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a ministry of apologetics (the mind, knowing) and discipleship (the soul, living) and is dedicated to the glory of God (the heart, loving). Our homepage proclaims our mission statement of knowing, living, loving with:
- Knowing: RENEW YOUR MIND IN THE WORD: Be transformed by the renewing of your mind. (Ro 12:2)
- Living: ANCHOR YOUR SOUL IN HOPE: This hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast. (Heb 6:19)
- Loving: ESTABLISH YOUR HEART IN GRACE: It is good that the heart be established by grace. (Heb 13:9)
Don’t Be Distracted
The Apostle James summed this up well, when he said “…every man is tempted, when he is drawn away [distracted] of his own lust, and enticed.” (James 1:14)
Do not let Satan and his minions distract you. Stay focused on Jesus. The Apostle Matthew wrote that “the light of the body is the eye: if therefore your eye be single, your whole body shall be full of light” and Proverbs confirms, “the light of the eyes rejoices the heart” (Prov 15:30). Therefore, keep “looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith…” (Heb 12:2).
More About Focusing Your Eyes on Jesus
Eph 1:18 [May] the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
- Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus
- Are you glad to see Jesus?
- Close Your Eyes and SEE Jesus!
- Pause to See Jesus
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray
- See Jesus on every page of the Bible!
More about Satan and his tactics:
- Why Did Satan Rebel Against God?
- How Does Satan Attach Christians? What are His Big Three Schemes?
- How Much Should I Fear Satan?
- Is Satan’s Real Name Lucifer? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- Does Satan have a stronger influence on Halloween?
- Was Jesus a sacrifice to Satan?
- The “I Will” Statements of God and Satan and the “I Am” Statements of Jesus
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- What are the Colors of Sin, Sorry, and Saved? (TEACHING CHILDREN About Salvation)
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
- Did We Exist as Spirit Beings Prior to Birth? (Jer 1:5)
- How Does Satan Attack Christians? What are His Big THREE SCHEMES?
- The MOST POPULAR BOOK in the Bible? The Least Popular Book?
- WHERE DID JESUS GO When He Died?
- Does a Wedding Ceremony Have Prophetic Typology of the Rapture?
Is my TATTOO a sin?
The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible? The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Is it a sin to be FAT?
To TAT (tattoo) or Not to Tat? Is That the Question?
What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
The Top Ten from 2017
- “The Five LOVE LANGUAGES” by God
- CANCER Hope: I Am Not Afraid
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (A Fun VISION TEST)
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- Are you GLAD to SEE Jesus?
- WHAT A BEAUTIFUL NAME: Names and Titles of Jesus
- What Would BILLY GRAHAM Say on His 99th Birthday?
- 24 Reasons Why I LOVE AMERICA, by John Wayne
- REFORMATION QUIZ: Discerning Truth and Error
- President RONALD REAGAN Sharing A Soldier’s Pledge
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry. Your prayers and financial support are needed and greatly appreciated.
¹ Lewis, C.S. The Screwtape Letters, New York: Collier Books, 1982, pp. 115–116.