The simple answer to this is, yes. Because Jesus is on every page of the Old and the New Testaments. Jesus told us so. After His resurrection, Jesus ascended to the Father and was glorified. Luke records that on the same day Jesus walked with two men on the road to Emmaus. Luke 24:27 tells us, “And beginning at Moses and all the prophets, he [Jesus] expounded unto them in all the scriptures the things concerning himself.” Jesus was speaking of the Hebrew Scriptures. He’s there in ALL the Old Testament Scriptures.
The entirety of the Bible — from Genesis through Revelation — points to, and reveals, one man…the Lord Jesus Christ. Jesus was there in the beginning, from the creation of the earth. He is Elohim, the triune God of Genesis 1:1. And even before the foundation of the world He existed (John 17:24), for He is the Great I Am of the burning bush (Exodus 3:2-14), the eternal God (Deuteronomy 33:27, Psalm 41:13, 90:2, 93:2, Isaiah 63:16b, Micah 5:2, John 1:1-2), both Alpha and Omega, beginning and end (Revelation 1:8, 21:6, 22:13) and He is the Word of God.
John 1:1-2 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.
We all remember the books, “Where’s Waldo?” The colorful character was hidden on each page, but it took diligent study of the page to spot him. The same is true of Jesus. He’s there, on every page of the Bible, but only with consistent reading and study will you find him.
It’s not difficult to find Jesus on every page of the New Testament Scriptures. Historical information about His life, ministry, death, burial and resurrection are recorded in all the books. But finding Him in the Old Testament isn’t always as easy. However, if an 11-year-old boy can find Him, so can we. [Scroll down and watch a short video clip of an 11-year-old boy who points us to Jesus. He tells of Jesus in every book of the Bible. Also included are two print pages of Jesus “sightings.”]
Jesus in the Old Testament
There are many recorded revelations of Jesus in the Old Testament. These are called Christophanies (some call them Theophanies). A Christophany is an appearance or non-physical manifestation of pre-incarnate Jesus Christ. Some of the Christophanies found in the Bible include:
Genesis 16:7-13, Genesis 18:1-3, 10, 13, 17, 22, Genesis 31:11-13, Genesis 32:24-28, Hosea 12:3-4, Genesis 48:16, Exodus 3:2, Exodus 13:21, Exodus 14:19, Exodus 23:20-23, Exodus 32:34, Numbers 22:22-27, Numbers 22:31-35, Joshua 5:23, Joshua 5:13-15, Judges 6:12-22 , Judges 13:3-22, I Kings 9:2, II Kings 1:3, II Kings 1:15, II Kings 19:35, I Chronicles 21:12, 15-16, 18, 30, Psalms 34:7, Psalms 35:5-6, Isaiah 37:36, Daniel 3:25, 28, Daniel 7:13, Daniel 8:25, Daniel 10:5-6, Zechariah 1:11-12, Zechariah 3:1, Zechariah 3:5.
Each of these Christophanies is a study in and of itself. It’s awe inspiring to see the revelation that God gave to His people and to understand that it was to point them to the incarnation of Jesus. It was to prepare them for the time when God would come down and dwell among His people as Emmanuel, “God with us” (Matthew 1:23, John 1:14).
How Do You Read the Bible?
Let’s consider how we read the Bible. There are two ways. One is to read the Bible looking for Jesus. The other is to read the Bible looking for oneself.
We live in a time that has become very self-centered. Modern communication has built a generation that is moving faster and faster in man-made innovations, and farther and farther away from God’s original design. Never has man been more narcissistic and individualistic. It’s an “i-everything,” me-focused culture rather than Christ-focused living. And as a result, more and more Christians are reading the Bible looking for themselves, rather than looking to find Jesus.
It’s Not About Us
The Bible isn’t about us. It’s all about Jesus! We should read every page with a desire to find Jesus. He’s there in every historical account, every song, every prayer and every teaching! When we read the Bible looking for Jesus we will come to know Him better and love Him more.
We won’t find rest, when we read the Bible looking for ourselves. We will find rules. We won’t find comfort. We will find conditions. We won’t find identity in Christ. We will find identity in what we can do and what the world says we can be. Only in Jesus will we find the rest, for He has promised:
Matthew 11:29 “Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and lowly in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”
And for this purpose Jesus came into the world…
Luke 4:18-19 “The Spirit of the LORD is upon Me, Because He has anointed Me To preach the gospel to the poor; He has sent Me to heal the brokenhearted, To proclaim liberty to the captives And recovery of sight to the blind, To set at liberty those who are oppressed; To proclaim the acceptable year of the LORD.”
Finding Jesus in the Old Testament
To get you started, watch this 11-year-old boy tell of Jesus on every page.
Everything points to Jesus in pattern, prophesy and type and every page “whispers” His name. Read the Bible daily, LOOKING for Jesus.
Read the printed listings of Jesus “sightings” below. Open your Bible and find Him on every page.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas