***Downloadable List of “Seeing Jesus in the Bible” Below***
As Christians, we know that the Bible is much more than just words on a page. It is God’s way of speaking directly to us. The Bible, from beginning to end, is the revelation of Jesus Christ. Jesus was the One who spoke the world into existence, and He is the One who will, in a time to come, make all things new (Revelation 21:5). He is the Alpha and Omega, the beginning and the end (Revelation 1:8, 21:6, 22:13). His throne is established from everlasting to everlasting (Psalm 41:13, 90:2, 93:2, Isaiah 63:16b, Micah 5:2, John 1:1-2). He is the Word of God.
John 1:1-2 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.
How Do You Read The Bible
There are two ways to read the Bible. One is to read the Bible looking for Jesus. The other is to read the Bible looking for oneself. We live in a time that is becoming more and more self-centered. Never has man been more narcissistic and individualistic. It’s a me-focused, i-everything, culture. The community has broken down as modern communication has built a generation that is moving faster and faster, and farther and farther, away from God’s intended design. There seems to be no rest for the weary and no focus for the future. With everything electronic to meet one’s every need and want (and to do so instantly), man is becoming more and more i-focused instead of Christ-focused.
While it’s always important to apply the Word of God to our daily lives, we must not fall into the trap of reading the Bible as if it is all about us. It’s not! The Bible isn’t about us. It’s all about Jesus! We should approach Bible reading with a desire to find Jesus on every page, in every historical account, every song, every prayer, every teaching — in everything! That’s how we will know Him better.
When we read the Bible looking for ourselves, trying to identify with various people of ancient times, more often than not, we miss Jesus. Before we get to our lists of “Jesus in the Old and New Testaments,” let’s first look at what God says about reading the Bible to know Jesus better.
Paul wrote to Timothy about the purpose and profit of God’s Word, and he did so in a progression of importance:
2 Timothy 3:16 All scripture is given by inspiration of God, and is profitable for doctrine, for reproof, for correction, for instruction in righteousness.
Reading Scripture is profitable, first, for doctrine. That means for teaching — for teaching us about our Creator and His creation, about the fall of man, and about our Redeemer and His plan of complete restoration. When we understand who God is, who man is, what God has done for us, and what God will do to restore all creation, then we are convicted (reproofed) and then we are humbled to receive correction and instruction from God’s Word. We must know God’s ways (be taught) and be convicted and humbled before we can apply biblical teachings to our lives (application of the instruction in righteousness). Reading the Bible “looking for Jesus” will produce great fruit in us as we come to know Him better. The better we know Jesus, the more His Word will pierce our hearts, transform our minds, and comfort our souls.
Years ago a Christian fad was born with the introduction of WWJD bracelets. The acronym stood for What Would Jesus Do? While it’s an interesting thought, it’s not a very good question because the answer is most often subjective. The idea was to consider a decision you are facing and determine how Jesus would respond in the situation. That leaves a lot of margin for error.
A better question, with a biblical answer, is What Did Jesus Do? (WDJD) The answer to that question is not subjective because the Bible accurately records who Jesus is, what He did, and what He has promised to do. When facing a decision, think about what Jesus did and what He taught. Remember that Jesus surrendered to the will of His Father in all things. Let God’s Word teach you. Focus on Jesus as He is revealed in the Words. And always trust that His Holy Spirit will direct you.
Finding Jesus on Every Page of the Bible
We all know that the New Testament books speak clearly about Jesus. His birth, His earthly ministry, His death, and His resurrection are recorded in the Gospel accounts and explained in the epistles. For some, it’s surprising that the Old Testament is also all about Jesus. While it records historical events of real people and real places, everything points to Jesus in pattern, prophesy, and type. Every page “whispers” His name. Jesus confirmed this when He walked and talked with two men on the road to Emmaus.
Don’t read the Bible looking for yourself. Read it daily, LOOKING for Jesus – the Author and Finisher of our faith (Hebrews 12:2). He’s there on every page!
Here’s a list to help you “see” Jesus on every page. (If you have some “sightings” to add to this, please send them to firstname.lastname@example.org)
Download PDF: Seeing Jesus in the Bible
Jesus is The Great I AM who is beyond our full comprehension. One day we will see Him face-to-face and we will fully know that HE IS EVERYTHING! He is our Savior, our Reconciler, our Redeemer, our Mediator, our Refiner, our Advocate, our Prophet, our Priest, our King, our Bridegroom, our Physician, and more!
About Focusing Your Eyes on Jesus
Eph 1:18 the eyes of your understanding being enlightened; that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints,
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas