Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
- “Teach me, O LORD, the way of Thy statutes, and I shall observe it to the end.” (Psalm 119:23 – NASB)
Ah yes . . . let us set our face to have the “LORD (Yaweh) . . . teach” us “the way of (His) statutes,” in the new day, that His Word may be our tutor as we seek to be more and more like Christ. Certainly a good plan for the day.
The Scripture I have chosen for this day comes from the book of Isaiah,
- “And Hezekiah received the letter from the hand of the messengers, and read it; and Hezekiah went up unto the house of the LORD, and spread it before the LORD. And Hezekiah prayed unto the LORD.” (Isaiah 37:14-15 – KJV)
The mighty army of Sennacherib was gathered outside the gates of Jerusalem, 185,000 strong. The great king had come to conquer the Jews, and he sent a letter to king Hezekiah demanding immediate surrender. Surely circumstances looked bleak for the Judean king. The great king of Assyria had steam-rolled his way into Judea by overthrowing every nation before him. No nation was able to withstand his great army. Sennacherib even said,
- “Hath any of the gods of the nations delivered his land out of the hand of the king of Assyria?” (Isaiah 36:18 – KJV)
Humanly speaking, the situation looked totally hopeless for the Jews. There looked to be no alternative to either total surrender or a crushing defeat at the hands of the massive Assyrian army.
Sometimes, we as Christians come upon moments in our lives when we aren’t sure what to do. Circumstances can be so great that we are without answer as to how we should proceed. King Hezekiah was at such a moment. Note what he did,
- “And Hezekiah prayed”
And what a prayer it was! And prayer worked! That night the angel of the Lord crushed Sennacherib’s army! The Assyrian king was humiliated before the God who is God! He returned to Assyria in defeat and was eventually murdered by members of his own family (Isaiah 37:36-38).
Hezekiah’s prayer is recorded in Isaiah 37:15-20, and within this great prayer someone has noted three important “elements of prayer:”
- Hezekiah knew that his God was the one and only true God (V – 16)
- Hezekiah knew his God would fight for him, using His name “LORD of hosts” (V – 16)
- Hezekiah knew that his God was the omnipotent God who “made heaven and earth” (V – 16)
Most certainly, nothing is “impossible” for the God who has created all things, no situation is too hard for Him to handle.
Hezekiah prayed for deliverance (V – 20) and God answered His prayer. May we learn to pray as king Hezekiah prayed.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk, when confronted by problems, even circumstances that seem insurmountable, recall to mind who it is that is your God . . . and go to Him in prayer first!
- Should We Not Repeat Prayers Because of Vain Repetitions? (Matt 6:7)
- Do You Say or Pray The Lord’s Prayer? by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
- Can You Pray St Patrick’s Prayer?
- Hear My Prayer, O Lord – 12 Supplications
- A Prayer for Peace in a Troubled World
- A Little Girl’s Prayer for Her Daddy
- The LORD Receives My Prayer
- A Heart for God Revealed in St. Patrick’s Prayer (video)
- Prayers from Billy Graham
- Incessant Prayer (Communion with God)
- The Word and Prayer Together
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (Take a fun vision test.)
- Should We Only Pray to the Father as Jesus Taught? Or Is It Okay to Pray to Jesus and the Spirit?
- National Day of Prayer
- Which President Said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- Effectual Praying
- PAUSE TO PRAY
- And Hezekiah Prayed
- Is Not Voting a Sin? And, how is voting like praying?
- Praying Like The Master
- Pause to Pray for Children
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- A Christmas Morning Prayer
- Why didn’t God answer my prayers and heal my loved one?
- What are the various types of prayer? How should I pray?
- Why does the Catholic church pray to “saints,” if Jesus is the only one who can answer prayers?
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas