Do You Say or Pray The Lord’s Prayer?
“When you pray, say: ‘Our Father'” Luke 11:2
“You ask and do not receive, because you ask amiss.” James 4:3
Many say the Lord’s Prayer* (Matt 6:9-12, Luke 11:2-4), who do not pray it! They (like Augustine, before his conversion, when he prayed for chastity) are afraid lest God should say, “Amen,” or, “So be it,” though they themselves will say so.
They Say. . .
- “Our Father,” but if He is their Father, where is His honor?
- “in Heaven,” but if they believed it, how dare they sin as they do upon earth?
- “Hallowed be Your name,” yet take God’s name in vain.
- “Your kingdom come,” yet oppose the coming of His kingdom.
- “Your will be done on earth as it is in Heaven,” yet will not stand to their words, for “This is the will of God, their sanctification,” but they want none of that.
- “Give us day by day our daily bread,” yet mind not the feeding of their souls with “the bread” (Christ Jesus) “which came down from Heaven.”
- “Forgive us our sins, for we also forgive everyone who is indebted to us,” but, alas! If God should take them at their word, how miserable were they whose hearts burn with malice and revenge!
- “Do not lead us into temptation,” yet run into it, and tempt Satan himself to tempt them.
- “Deliver us from the evil one,” and yet deliver themselves to evil and give up themselves “to fulfill the lust of the flesh.”
Reader, how often have you been guilty of such vain petitions and repetitions? Wonder not, if you pray in such a manner as this, that you receive nothing. Pray for grace, that you may pray sincerely and successfully.
A Devotion by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774), Read more Hope for Today Devotions
*From Reasons for Hope* Jesus: While the Matthew 6/Luke 11 prayer has traditionally been called “The Lord’s Prayer,” it is not Jesus’ prayer. The words in Matthew 6 and Luke 11 are instruction about how to pray that Jesus gave to His disciples in response to their request that He teach them how to pray. The real Lord’s Prayer is found in John 17, and it’s often called The High Priestly Prayer. These are the words of Jesus that He prayed to His Father in Heaven.
Words of Wisdom from the Cloud of Witnesses: The Cloud of Witnesses is a reference to those in Heaven who have run their races and are now with the Lord. Their words of wisdom are filled with faith, hope, love, and joy to warm our souls, and the eternal truths of God to grow us and give us joy. Their words strengthen our souls, equip our minds, encourage our hearts, and empower us to stand firm in our faith and be motivated, ready, and willing to share the hope we have in Jesus.
Hebrews 12:1-2 Since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith...
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
Top Ten in 2019
- What is the meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR