This question points us to some of the most beautiful verses in the Bible — verses that contain precious promises of the loving, nurturing, and protecting nature of God as our Father. Because we are redeemed by the blood of Jesus and regenerated by the Holy Spirit we have received the right to be called a child of God.
John 1:12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God to those who believe in His name.
Born Again into the Family of God
Let’s remember that when we repented and trusted in Christ’s finished work on the cross for the payment of our sins, we were born again, or regenerated, by God’s Spirit. Just as a child becomes a part of an earthly family at birth, we became part of a spiritual family when we were born again (John 3:3-5). In this spiritual family, we are sons and daughters of God — God’s children.
Gal 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
Adopted into the Family of God
God gives us many illustrations to help us understand the spiritual union that we now enjoy with Him. Just as children can be adopted into an earthly family, we are adopted into a heavenly family.
Rom 8:14-16 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God
Positional Standing and Promises Received
Adoption into God’s family gives us positional standing as a family member, as a son or daughter, a child of God:
Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
Rom 8:17 and if children, then heirs; heirs of God and joint-heirs with Christ.
Adoption also lavishes on us with all the riches of Christ, giving us the
Gal 4:4-7 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
Gal 3:29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Being born again, being adopted, being a child of God is a gift — the gift of salvation. No baby at birth is born a child of God. No infant become a child of God in water baptism. While all people born are God’s creation, they are not all His children (Read: Are We All God’s Children?) Only those who are saved by Jesus become God’s children and that requires a trusting faith in Jesus’ finished work on the cross, His atonement for our sins, and His resurrection from the dead.
Rom 10:9-10 …if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
So What Does New Birth and Adoption Mean for Us?
It means that all Christ has in the Father, we also have. In John 17 we find the most intimate expression of Jesus’ relationship with God the Father and we get the most precious insights into the unity and blessings of that relationship. In that one chapter is recorded all the gifts that we inherit, everything that we receive as a child of God and a joint-heir with Christ. A study of John 17 reveals that before going to the cross Jesus prayed for us to receive His Word, His Joy, His mission, His glory, His love, His presence, His peace, and eternal life. All the promises of God are given to us in Jesus.
Rejoice, Live, and Share
Rejoice in the assurance that God is our Father and we are His children. His love is steadfast and our destinies are secure.
Live your life to bring honor and glory to the One Who gave His life so you could become a child of God.
Share your joy with others and proclaim the saving grace found only in Jesus Christ.
Know Who You Are
Always remember your position. You are in the family of God. You are His child. Rejoice in that. Live according to the riches you have received, remembering…
1) Our purpose in this life is to honor and glorify God (Isaiah 43:7, Revelation 4:11)
2) Our goal is to be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ (Romans 8:29).
3) Our mission is to magnify God and to share the saving grace of Jesus Christ (John 17:18, Mark 16:15)
4) Our destiny is settled (John 14:1-3).
5) Our life is eternal and one day we will be in the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ forevermore (Revelation 21:3-4).
Always share your joy and hope with others. Tell people how they can come to know the only One who can give new life and adoption into a heavenly family– a family that will be together forever.
Share the saving grace of Jesus with everyone!
Read About Your Purpose in Life and God's Will for Your Life :
What Is My Purpose In Life?
101 Truths About Our Identity in Christ
What does it mean to be a child of God?
Are We All God’s Children?
Who Am I? Am I Really Made in the Image of God?
The Chief Purpose of Man
Are We Dichotomy or Trichotomy Beings?
Are we a soul? Or do we have a soul?
Saved by the Bell -- Who I Am In Christ
What is God's Will for You?
What is Your Purpose in Life? CS Lewis
The Chief Purpose of Man
Who Am I? video
Who Am I? — by Casting Crowns video
Ways to Glorify God - Bookmark
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED