This question points us to some of the most beautiful verses in the Bible — verses that contain precious promises of the loving, nurturing, and protecting nature of God as our Father. Because we are redeemed by the blood of Jesus and regenerated by the Holy Spirit we have received the right to be called a child of God.
John 1:12 But as many as received Him, to them He gave the right to become children of God to those who believe in His name.
Born Again into the Family of God
Let’s remember that when we repented and trusted in Christ’s finished work on the cross for the payment of our sins, we were born again, or regenerated, by God’s Spirit. Just as a child becomes a part of an earthly family at birth, we became part of a spiritual family when we were born again (John 3:3-5). In this spiritual family, we are sons and daughters of God — God’s children.
Gal 3:26 For you are all sons of God through faith in Christ Jesus.
Adopted into the Family of God
God gives us many illustrations to help us understand the spiritual union that we now enjoy with Him. Just as children can be adopted into an earthly family, we are adopted into a heavenly family.
Rom 8:14-16 For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.” The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God
Positional Standing and Promises Received
Adoption into God’s family gives us positional standing as a family member, as a son or daughter, a child of God:
Eph 1:5 Having predestinated us unto the adoption of children by Jesus Christ to himself, according to the good pleasure of his will,
Rom 8:17 and if children, then heirs; heirs of God and joint-heirs with Christ.
Adoption also lavishes on us with all the riches of Christ, giving us the
Gal 4:4-7 But when the fullness of the time had come, God sent forth His Son, born of a woman, born under the law, to redeem those who were under the law, that we might receive the adoption as sons. And because you are sons, God has sent forth the Spirit of His Son into your hearts, crying out, “Abba, Father!” Therefore you are no longer a slave but a son, and if a son, then an heir of God through Christ.
Gal 3:29 And if you are Christ’s, then you are Abraham’s seed, and heirs according to the promise.
Being born again, being adopted, being a child of God is a gift — the gift of salvation. No baby at birth is born a child of God. No infant become a child of God in water baptism. While all people born are God’s creation, they are not all His children (Read: Are We All God’s Children?) Only those who are saved by Jesus become God’s children and that requires a trusting faith in Jesus’ finished work on the cross, His atonement for our sins, and His resurrection from the dead.
Rom 10:9-10 …if you confess with your mouth the Lord Jesus and believe in your heart that God has raised Him from the dead, you will be saved. For with the heart one believes unto righteousness, and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation.
So What Does New Birth and Adoption Mean for Us?
It means that all Christ has in the Father, we also have. In John 17 we find the most intimate expression of Jesus’ relationship with God the Father and we get the most precious insights into the unity and blessings of that relationship. In that one chapter is recorded all the gifts that we inherit, everything that we receive as a child of God and a joint-heir with Christ. A study of John 17 reveals that before going to the cross Jesus prayed for us to receive His Word, His Joy, His mission, His glory, His love, His presence, His peace, and eternal life. All the promises of God are given to us in Jesus.
Rejoice, Live, and Share
Rejoice in the assurance that God is our Father and we are His children. His love is steadfast and our destinies are secure.
Live your life to bring honor and glory to the One Who gave His life so you could become a child of God.
Share your joy with others and proclaim the saving grace found only in Jesus Christ.
Know Who You Are
Always remember your position. You are in the family of God. You are His child. Rejoice in that. Live according to the riches you have received, remembering…
Our purpose in this life is to honor and glorify God (Isaiah 43:7, Revelation 4:11)
Our goal is to be conformed to the image of Jesus Christ (Romans 8:29).
Our mission is to magnify God and to share the saving grace of Jesus Christ (John 17:18, Mark 16:15)
Our destiny is settled (John 14:1-3).
Our life is eternal and one day we will be in the presence of the Lord Jesus Christ forevermore (Revelation 21:3-4).
Always share your joy and hope with others. Tell people how they can come to know the only One who can give new life and adoption into a heavenly family– a family that will be together forever.
Share the saving grace of Jesus with everyone!
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store