“What is man — that You are mindful of him?” Psalm 8:4
Man was created to be the crowning glory of God’s work (Psalm 8:5). God created man in His image (Gen 1:26, 27). In the image of God, man was intended to reflect God’s glory and to magnify His character. God gave man dominion, over all the works of His hands (Genesis 1:26), but everything changed when Adam sinned.
Only Adam was created in God’s image. Only Adam (and Eve) had the full image of God in their being.
Had Adam not sinned, his children would have been born in the image of God, reflecting His glory. But Adam sinned and his image changed, and, because of Adam’s sin, Adam’s child was born in his image — the image of a fallen man. Since that time, every child born is born in the image of Adam, the image of fallen man.
Gen 5:3 And Adam lived one hundred and thirty years, and begot a son in his own likeness, after his image, and named him Seth.
No longer is man born crowned with the glory God intended. No man is born in the image of God — perfect, holy, and fully satisfied. Man is born in the image of man — fallen, sinful, and needy. Man bears the image of Adam’s rebellion against his Creator, and…
- Man’s intended service to God is suppressed by his slavery to sin.
- Man’s intended strength in the Spirit is diminished by his weakness in the flesh.
- Man’s intended body of perfect health and eternal life is afflicted with disease and death.
And yet, man remains, “fearfully and wonderfully made” (Psa 139:14), and still bears a part of God’s image. Man remains a body and a soul, but is without the Spirit of God. Man is born with a “dead” soul and that’s why Jesus said, “you must be born again” (John 3:3, 7). Just as God breathed the “breath of life” into Adam and Adam became “a living soul,” (Gen 2:7), man needs that Breath of Life to regenerate his dead soul. And, by the grace of God through the cross of Christ, man is able to be fully restored to God’s intention for him — man is able to “be born of the Spirit” (John 3:6, 8).
“What is Man”
God is mindful of every man, for “God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. For God sent not his Son into the world to condemn the world; but that the world through him might be saved.” (John 3:16-17) God gave us His Son (Isa 9:6), as a substitutionary atonement for our sins (Luke 19:10, Rom 5:8), and to open the way for all to be saved and restored in the relationship He originally created (2 Pet 3:9
What or Who?
The answer to “what is man” is simple?” Man is a fallen sinner in need of redemption. The answer to “who am I?” is fully dependant on the choice one makes. Choose Christ and live. Reject Christ and die. Man is an eternal being, And his eternal destiny is determined by his chose. Heaven or Hell? Glory or damnation.
Preach the Gospel
It is the duty and the joy of all who belong to the Lord Jesus Christ to share His saving grace with those who are without.
Rom 10:14 How then shall they call on Him in whom they have not believed? And how shall they believe in Him of whom they have not heard? And how shall they hear without a preacher?
Be ready and be bold in your testimony for Jesus. And testify always with kindness, gentleness, and love. (1 Pet 3:15). Ask lost people the questions that they already ponder:
“Who am I?” “Why am I here.” “What’s the meaning and purpose of my existence?” “Where am I going.”
“Who you are?” is really answered by WHOSE you are. Do you belong to Jesus?
“Why are you here?” and “what’s the meaning and purpose of your existence?” is the same for every person. The chief end of man is to know God, to glorify Him, and to enjoy Him forever. That can only be done when one belongs to Jesus and is surrendered to His will and ways.
Finally, “where are you going?” Every person will go to one of two places. Heaven or Hell. It is a choice. For all of us who belong to Jesus, we know we will enter into the Lord’s presence in Heaven when we die. Let it be a joy and a need to share the saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ with everyone we meet.
“Who do you say that I am?”
Jesus asked this question of His disciples and every person will need to answer this question. This is the most important question man will ever be asked, and the answer will determine eternal destiny. Because we belong to Jesus, we have answered that question as Peter did, “You are the Christ, the Son of the Living God” (Mat 16:16) and so we have the answer to “who am I?”
We are God’s children. Our hope is found in Jesus, our eternal destiny is Heaven, and our purpose is found in God’s Word.
“Why are we here?”
We were created for His pleasure (Rev 4:11) and to reflect His love, His mercy, and His grace to a fallen world. A paraphrase of Proverbs 27:19 says, “As water reflects the face, so one’s life reflects the heart.”
Let your heart break for what breaks God’s heart. He desires to redeem and restore fallen mankind. He desires for all to come to Him in faith. He drew you to Himself and you responded. He draws others, but they must respond. Be a witness for Christ and tell them of the saving grace of the Lord Jesus Christ.
Read About Your Purpose in Life and God's Will for Your Life :
What Is My Purpose In Life?
101 Truths About Our Identity in Christ
What does it mean to be a child of God?
Are We All God’s Children?
Who Am I? Am I Really Made in the Image of God?
The Chief Purpose of Man
Are We Dichotomy or Trichotomy Beings?
Are we a soul? Or do we have a soul?
Saved by the Bell -- Who I Am In Christ
What is God's Will for You?
What is Your Purpose in Life? CS Lewis
The Chief Purpose of Man
Who Am I? video
Who Am I? — by Casting Crowns video
Ways to Glorify God - Bookmark
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas