The Bible says in Eph 3:21, “to [God] be glory in the church.” It is our highest calling, our very purpose, to glorify God:
1 Cor 10:31 Whether you eat or drink, or whatever you do, do all to the glory of God.
The main verb in this verse is “do.” It is an imperative in the present tense, and it means “a command to do something in the future which involves continuous or repeated action.”
God gives commands in the Scriptures to glorify Him repeatedly, continuously, always. And He is worthy of our praise and worship:
Rev 4:11 Thou art worthy, O Lord, to receive glory and honour and power: for thou hast created all things, and for thy pleasure they are and were created.
The Scripture says that our God, our Lord, is “to receive glory.” And He receives such glory from all He has created and that includes us; it is our chief purpose. It should be the desire of our heart to glorify God.
There are principles in the Bible that tell us how to glorify God.
(Click on the bookmark to download a printable copy of “Ways to Glorify God.” Print “two-sided,” “long-edge binding”)
We can glorify God:
- By self-sacrifice (2 Corinthians 5:15) – living no longer for ourselves, “but for Him who died for” us
- By preference (Joshua 24:15) – choosing to “serve the Lord” rather than giving in to the tenets of this world and its culture.
- By obedience (John 14:21) – glorifying God comes from a heart that loves Him, and demonstrates that love by obeying His commandments.
- By humility (Philippians 2:5-9) – having the mind of Christ is having a mind that is willing to humble oneself before God, that Christ may be exalted in all things.
- By confessing Jesus as Lord (Philippians 2:11) – Eventually “every knee” will bow (2:10) and “every tongue” will “confess that Jesus Christ is Lord” . . . it is inevitable. We do it this side of heaven to the glory of God.
- By confessing our sin (Joshua 7:19) – We recognize that God is true, that we are sinners and so we confess our sin to Him. Such confession glorifies Him.
- By trusting in Him (Romans 4:20) – We believe what God has said, we do not “waiver at the promise of God.”
- By praising Him (Psalm 145:1-13) – We give glory to God when we acknowledge Him, recognizing Him and His attributes, praising Him!
- By giving thanks (Luke 17:11-18) – God is glorified through our thanksgiving . . . and we have much to give Him thanks for.
- By ministering (I Peter 4:10-11) – We are gifted by God to minister to others, to serve . . . and when we are “good stewards” of our gifts God is glorified.
- By proclaiming the Word (II Thessalonians 3:1 – note: I Thessalonians 1:8) – In proclaiming the Word of God, speaking it, God is glorified.
- By moral purity (1 Corinthians 6:18-20) – By fleeing the sins noted in God’s Word, by abstaining from them, by realizing that we are not our own but His, we seek to glorify God in our body and in our spirit.
- By winning people to Christ (2 Corinthians 4:7-15 – note: Romans 15:9) – Sharing the gospel of Christ, seeing people turn from sin to the Savior . . . this most certainly glorifies God.
- By bearing much fruit (John 15:7-8) – A life showing forthright attitudes and actions because of our being in Christ glorifies God.
- By boasting (Galatians 6:14)— in the cross of our Lord Jesus Christ.
- By suffering (I Peter 4:14-16) – As we live for and proclaim Christ when we suffer reproach we glorify God.
- By praying (John 14:13) – Praying in the will and for the will of Christ glorifies God.
- By preserving unity (Romans 15:5-7) – Striving to be like-minded in Christ, in His Word, that true unity might be the result to the glory of God.
- By proclaiming (1 Pet 2:9)— making known the “praises of Him who called you out of darkness into His marvelous light”
- By remembering (1 Corinthians 11:26)— by observing the Lord’s Table and remembering all God has done for us. He sent His Son Jesus, who gave His body and shed His blood to make it possible for us to be reconciled to Him.
Let it always be the desire of your heart to glorify God.
Eph 3:20-21 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen.
Read About Your Purpose in Life and God's Will for Your Life :
What Is My Purpose In Life?
101 Truths About Our Identity in Christ
What does it mean to be a child of God?
Are We All God’s Children?
Who Am I? Am I Really Made in the Image of God?
The Chief Purpose of Man
Are We Dichotomy or Trichotomy Beings?
Are we a soul? Or do we have a soul?
Saved by the Bell -- Who I Am In Christ
What is God's Will for You?
What is Your Purpose in Life? CS Lewis
The Chief Purpose of Man
Who Am I? video
Who Am I? — by Casting Crowns video
Ways to Glorify God - Bookmark
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED