Praying . . . we would, I believe, like to do it effectively, would we not? We would desire, I would think, that our prayers be substantive, would we not? Note, in his letter to the church at Ephesus, the content of Paul’s prayer for the believers he is writing to,
- “For this reason I too, having heard of the faith in the Lord Jesus which exists among you, and your love for all the saints, do not cease giving thanks for you, while making mention of you in my prayers; that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.” (Ephesians 1:15-19 – NASB)
Paul’s loving words to his fellow “saints” in Ephesus were to remind them of what God had done for them in Christ (Ephesians 1:1-14), and then to let them know that “having heard of the faith in the Lord Jesus which (existed) among” them “and their “love for all the saints,” he never “ceased giving thanks for them” within his “mentioning of” them in his “prayers.”
And within his “prayers” there was not only a “mentioning” of them but also specific Spirit-led things that Paul prayed for them. And this is just one of the examples we have from God’s Word of how to pray for one another. This is, as one writer has noted, a “God-centered prayer.” In other words, how God would have us pray for one another . . . it is Scriptural content for effectual praying!
Note its content,
- “that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him”
- “that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know what is the hope of His calling”
- “that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know . . . what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints’
- “that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know . . . what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.”
Do we pray this way, in this manner, for these things for our fellow “saints?” Do we even really understand what it is the Spirit of God is conveying to us through Paul’s “prayers?” Do we even look into them and meditate upon them and dissect them and seek to learn of their meaning so that we might, with understanding, pray as Paul prayed?
Author Jerry Bridges, in his book Respectable Sins, asks a most appropriate question regarding our prayer lives,
- “How does Paul’s prayer . . . compare with our prayers for ourselves, our families, and our friends? Do our prayers reflect a concern for God’s will and God’s glory . . . Or are our prayers more a do-list we present to God?”
Effectual praying comes with a diligent study of the Scriptures. From them we learn to pray. From them we learn to pray for that which God would have us pray for one another. We involve ourselves in the learning process so that we may understand the very content of Scriptural prayers with the intent that we might effectively pray as God intends for us to pray. And take note regarding effectual praying . . . when we pray as God intends for us to pray then we are becoming more and more like He wants us to be . . . . like His Son (Romans 8:28-29).
Have a good day brethren . . . and in your walk pray! And then take some time to examine your prayers against the backdrop of the Scriptures and how they instruct us to pray.
- Should We Not Repeat Prayers Because of Vain Repetitions? (Matt 6:7)
- Do You Say or Pray The Lord’s Prayer? by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
- Can You Pray St Patrick’s Prayer?
- Hear My Prayer, O Lord – 12 Supplications
- A Prayer for Peace in a Troubled World
- A Little Girl’s Prayer for Her Daddy
- The LORD Receives My Prayer
- A Heart for God Revealed in St. Patrick’s Prayer (video)
- Prayers from Billy Graham
- Incessant Prayer (Communion with God)
- The Word and Prayer Together
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (Take a fun vision test.)
- Should We Only Pray to the Father as Jesus Taught? Or Is It Okay to Pray to Jesus and the Spirit?
- National Day of Prayer
- Why is Prayer Important?
- Effectual Praying
- PAUSE TO PRAY
- And Hezekiah Prayed
- Is Not Voting a Sin? And, how is voting like praying?
- Praying Like The Master
- Pause to Pray for Children
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- A Christmas Morning Prayer
- Why didn’t God answer my prayers and heal my loved one?
- What are the various types of prayer? How should I pray?
- Why does the Catholic church pray to “saints,” if Jesus is the only one who can answer prayers?
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- CanJEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference:
Visit our Store