Daily Bread Devotions by Chuck Myer Daily Bread Archive | Sign up for our resources
Praying . . . we would, I believe, like to do it effectively, would we not? We would desire, I would think, that our prayers be substantive, would we not? Note, in his letter to the church at Ephesus, the content of Paul’s prayer for the believers he is writing to,
- “For this reason I too, having heard of the faith in the Lord Jesus which exists among you, and your love for all the saints, do not cease giving thanks for you, while making mention of you in my prayers; that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and of revelation in the knowledge of Him. I pray that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints, and what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.” (Ephesians 1:15-19 – NASB)
Paul’s loving words to his fellow “saints” in Ephesus were to remind them of what God had done for them in Christ (Ephesians 1:1-14), and then to let them know that “having heard of the faith in the Lord Jesus which (existed) among” them “and their “love for all the saints,” he never “ceased giving thanks for them” within his “mentioning of” them in his “prayers.”
And within his “prayers” there was not only a “mentioning” of them but also specific Spirit-led things that Paul prayed for them. And this is just one of the examples we have from God’s Word of how to pray for one another. This is, as one writer has noted, a “God-centered prayer.” In other words, how God would have us pray for one another . . . it is Scriptural content for effectual praying!
Note its content,
- “that the God of our Lord Jesus Christ, the Father of glory, may give to you a spirit of wisdom and revelation in the knowledge of Him”
- “that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know what is the hope of His calling”
- “that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know . . . what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints’
- “that the eyes of your heart may be enlightened, so that you may know . . . what is the surpassing greatness of His power toward us who believe.”
Do we pray this way, in this manner, for these things for our fellow “saints?” Do we even really understand what it is the Spirit of God is conveying to us through Paul’s “prayers?” Do we even look into them and meditate upon them and dissect them and seek to learn of their meaning so that we might, with understanding, pray as Paul prayed?
Author Jerry Bridges, in his book Respectable Sins, asks a most appropriate question regarding our prayer lives,
- “How does Paul’s prayer . . . compare with our prayers for ourselves, our families, and our friends? Do our prayers reflect a concern for God’s will and God’s glory . . . Or are our prayers more a do-list we present to God?”
Effectual praying comes with a diligent study of the Scriptures. From them we learn to pray. From them we learn to pray for that which God would have us pray for one another. We involve ourselves in the learning process so that we may understand the very content of Scriptural prayers with the intent that we might effectively pray as God intends for us to pray. And take note regarding effectual praying . . . when we pray as God intends for us to pray then we are becoming more and more like He wants us to be . . . . like His Son (Romans 8:28-29).
Have a good day brethren . . . and in your walk pray! And then take some time to examine your prayers against the backdrop of the Scriptures and how they instruct us to pray.
- Should We Not Repeat Prayers Because of Vain Repetitions? (Matt 6:7)
- Do You Say or Pray The Lord’s Prayer? by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
- Can You Pray St Patrick’s Prayer?
- Hear My Prayer, O Lord – 12 Supplications
- A Prayer for Peace in a Troubled World
- A Little Girl’s Prayer for Her Daddy
- The LORD Receives My Prayer
- A Heart for God Revealed in St. Patrick’s Prayer (video)
- Prayers from Billy Graham
- Incessant Prayer (Communion with God)
- The Word and Prayer Together
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (Take a fun vision test.)
- Should We Only Pray to the Father as Jesus Taught? Or Is It Okay to Pray to Jesus and the Spirit?
- National Day of Prayer
- Which President Said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- Effectual Praying
- PAUSE TO PRAY
- And Hezekiah Prayed
- Is Not Voting a Sin? And, how is voting like praying?
- Praying Like The Master
- Pause to Pray for Children
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- A Christmas Morning Prayer
- Why didn’t God answer my prayers and heal my loved one?
- What are the various types of prayer? How should I pray?
- Why does the Catholic church pray to “saints,” if Jesus is the only one who can answer prayers?
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas