Praying like the Master . . . note this text from the book of Luke,
- “And it came about that while He was praying in a certain place, after He had finished, one of His disciples said to Him, ‘Lord, teach us to pray just as John also taught his disciples.'” (Luke 11:1 – NASB)
God would have us be “conformed to the image of His Son” (Romans 8:29). He would have us to be just like Him in what we do. And one of the things Jesus did was “pray.”
The “disciples” saw this and they asked the “Lord” to teach them how to pray. You and I are blessed in that we have the full Word of God and by its instruction we can determine just how the Master would have us go about this business of “praying.” We are familiar with “The Disciple’s Prayer” (Luke 11:2-4; Matthew 6:9-13) which Jesus gives to His “disciples” following their request, how it deals with praise, and confession, and petition. But there is even more to learn about “prayer” if we look further into our Lord’s teachings . . . .
The late Dr. Henry Morris listed several “prayer principles” that Jesus teaches us in His Word:
- Believing Prayer – “And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive” (Matthew 21:22 – KJV)
- Watchful Prayer – “Watch and pray, that ye enter not into temptation” (Matthew 26:41 – KJV)
- Persistent Prayer – “Men ought always to pray, and not to faint” (Luke 18:1 – KJV)
- Prayer Through Christ – “If ye shall ask any thing in My name, I will do it” (John 14:14 – KJV)
- Christ-centered, Bible-centered Prayer – “If ye abide in Me, and My words abide in you, ye shall ask what ye will, and it shall be done unto you” (John 15:7 – KJV)
- Compassionate Prayer – “Pray ye therefore the Lord of the harvest, that He will send forth laborers into His harvest” (Matthew 9:38 – KJV)
- Submissive Prayer – “. . . nevertheless not My will, but Thine, be done” (Luke 22:42 – KJV)
- Meaningful Prayer – “When you pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do” (Matthew 6:7 – KJV)
There you have it . . . instruction from the Master in how to pray! Being like the Master is our calling brethren, so praying like Him should be something we greatly desire to do.
Have a good day brethren . . . and as you walk may the prayer principles given to us by the Master be evident in your prayer life.
- Should We Not Repeat Prayers Because of Vain Repetitions? (Matt 6:7)
- Do You Say or Pray The Lord’s Prayer? by Karl Heinrich von Bogatzky (1690—1774)
- Can You Pray St Patrick’s Prayer?
- Hear My Prayer, O Lord – 12 Supplications
- A Prayer for Peace in a Troubled World
- A Little Girl’s Prayer for Her Daddy
- The LORD Receives My Prayer
- A Heart for God Revealed in St. Patrick’s Prayer (video)
- Prayers from Billy Graham
- Incessant Prayer (Communion with God)
- The Word and Prayer Together
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- Day by Day: Three Things to Pray (Take a fun vision test.)
- Should We Only Pray to the Father as Jesus Taught? Or Is It Okay to Pray to Jesus and the Spirit?
- National Day of Prayer
- Which President Said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- Effectual Praying
- PAUSE TO PRAY
- And Hezekiah Prayed
- Is Not Voting a Sin? And, how is voting like praying?
- Praying Like The Master
- Pause to Pray for Children
- My Prayer? That You Would Know . . . .
- A Christmas Morning Prayer
- Why didn’t God answer my prayers and heal my loved one?
- What are the various types of prayer? How should I pray?
- Why does the Catholic church pray to “saints,” if Jesus is the only one who can answer prayers?
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas