We can’t answer for all Presidents, but we can certainly say that historically Presidents have been men of prayer — and we have proof of it. Of those who are long gone, we have their words recorded for posterity. Their words reveal that even the most powerful men in the western world understood their need for God and their need to seek Him through prayer. Let’s read the words of our first three presidents:
George Washington (1789-1797)
In his inaugural prayer, Washington spoke if his prayer life: “It would be peculiarly improper to omit, in this first official act, my fervent supplications to that Almighty Being who rules over the universe, who presides in the councils of nations and whose providential aids can supply every human defect…”
On the National Day of Thanksgiving in 1789, Washington proclaimed:
“Whereas it is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the Providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for his benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor…we may then unite in most humbly offering our prayers and supplications to the great Lord and Ruler of Nations, and beseech Him to pardon our national and other transgressions, to enable us all…to render our national government a blessing to all the People…to promote the knowledge and practice of true religion and virtue.”
“It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.” ~ George Washington
John Adams (1797-1801)
Adams, along with John Jay and Benjamin Franklin, signed the Treaty of Paris on Sept 3, 1783, formally ending the American Revolutionary War, recognizing American independence, and establishing most territory east of the Mississippi River as part of the United States. The success of the treaty was attributed to God:
“In the name of the Most Holy and Undivided Trinity. It having pleased the Divine Providence to dispose the hearts of the most serene and most potent Prince George the Third…and of the United States of America, to forget all past misunderstandings and differences.
In his inaugural address on March 4, 1797, Adam clearly revealed his faith in God and our nation’s need for His blessings:
“With humble reverence, I feel it to be my duty to add, if a veneration for the religion of a people who profess and call themselves Christians, and a fixed resolution to consider a decent respect for Christianity among the best recommendations for the public service, can enable me in any degree to comply with your wishes, it shall be my strenuous endeavor that this sagacious injunction of the two Houses shall not be without effect…May that Being who is supreme over all, the Patron of Order, the Fountain of Justice, and the Protector in all ages of the world of virtuous liberty, continue His blessings upon this nation.”
In his National Day of Humiliation, Fasting, and Prayer proclamation, Adams said:
“That the citizens of these States, abstaining on that day from their customary worldly occupations, offer their devout addresses to the Father of Mercies…with the deepest humility, acknowledge before God the manifold sins and transgressions with which we are justly chargeable as individuals and as a nation, beseeching Him at the same time, of His infinite grace, through the Redeemer of the World, freely to remit all our offenses, and to incline us by His Holy Spirit to that sincere repentance and reformation which may afford us reason to hope for His inestimable favor and heavenly benediction.”
“We recognize no sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus!” ~ John Adams
Thomas Jefferson (1801-1809)
While there are questions about Jefferson’s beliefs about Christianity, it’s well documented that he was a devout theist. He believed in a benevolent creator God and that humans should praise Him. In one of his writings, he wrote of, “our creator,” the “Infinite Power, which rules the destinies of the universe.” In 1823, in a letter to John Adams denouncing atheism, he referred to “the God whom you and I acknowledge and adore.”
Prior to his presidency, Thomas Jefferson put forth a resolution for a specific day dedicated to prayer. We now call the day “The National Day of Prayer,” but Jefferson called it a Day of Fasting, Humiliation, and Prayer. The resolution passed unanimously. It began in Boston on June 1, 1774.
“This House, being deeply impressed with apprehension of the great dangers, to be derived to British America, from the hostile invasion of the City of Boston, in our sister Colony of Massachusetts… deem it highly necessary that the said first day of June be set apart, by the members of this House as a Day of Fasting, Humiliation and Prayer, devoutly to implore the Divine interposition, for averting the heavy calamity which threatens destruction to our civil rights…Ordered, therefore that the Members of this House do attend…with the Speaker, and the Mace, to the Church in this City, for the purposes aforesaid; and that the Reverend Mr. Price be appointed to read prayers, and the Reverend Mr. Gwatkin, to preach a sermon.”
The Second Continental Congress established this day to be observed in all the colonies on July 20, 1775. with this proclamation: “a day of public humiliation, fasting, and prayer… to bless our rightful sovereign, King George the Third… [and for] the just rights and privileges of the Colonies in civil and religious [matters].” Following the wide response to the call to prayer, Congress determined to set a day of fasting and prayer every year in the spring, and a day of thanksgiving and praise yearly in the fall.
Do Presidents in our Day Pray?
Again, we can’t answer for all modern-day Presidents, but we can certainly say that many Presidents have been men of prayer — and we have proof of it, not only written but also a video record of those who prayed. Watch the videos we shared prior to the 2016 election. It will remind you how faith in the Christian God has guided the minds and actions of former Presidents. Which Presidents Prayed and Professed Faith in God?
Memorial Day, 4th of July, Patriotic Articles & Videos
- Amazing Grace Bagpipes Memorial Day Tribue (A moving video to true heroes.)
- Watch 24 Reasons Why I Love America, by John Wayne (a must-see, moving video)
- Dependent Independence (video)
- Is Memorial Day Biblical?
- We Will Remember (video)
- Memories in the Cloud Staggering statistics of American deaths in all US wars. Always remember the cost.
- All Gave Some and Some Gave All – Our Fallen Heroes
- Pause to Pray (video)
- President Ronald Reagan Sharing A WWI Soldier’s Pledge (video)
- Biblical Faith During WWII
- Memories in the Cloud
- A Day to Remember (video)
- Words from the White House about our Christian Nation
- What Would Billy Graham Say…about the Election?
- Watch as Former Presidents Pray and Proclaim Faith in God and His Word (video)
- Is Not Voting a Sin? How is Voting Like Praying?
- Measured By Our Words: The Wisdom of Calvin Coolidge
- Is America a Christian Nation?
- National Day of Prayer
- At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- Two Minute Tribute to Those Who Gave Their All -- by Pres. Ronald Reagan (video)
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace (video)
- Forget Not…Three Remembrances on Memorial Day
- The Land of the Free (video)
- Thank You, God, for Freedom (video)
- The White House: Shrouded in Color or Covered in God’s Word?
- Their Legacy of Freedom Lives On - video
- No Greater Love: In Memory of Our Fallen Heroes -video
- A Prayer to Pray on Independence Day (video)
- "You Will Hear of Wars and Rumors of Wars"
- Grateful for Our Heroes - Memorial Day Tribute
- National Day of Prayer
- Which President said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- What Did President Reagan Say About Racism and Marxism?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas