This week’s Got Questions? is posted early on November 7, 2016. November 8th is the national election, so it is our hope that all Americans, especially Christian Americans, will get out and exercise their privilege to vote (Read: Is it a sin not to vote?).
On November 8th, Americans will elect the 45th President of the United States. Most agree it is the most important election of our time.
Over the last few years, we have seen many of our nation’s foundational values and laws redefined or overruled. We have drifted further and further from the precepts and principles of God’s Word. We are a “ship in turbulent waters.” We must ask, have we lifted our anchor? Or worse, have we cut the rope that ties the anchor to our ship? Has the anchor been left at the bottom of the sea, and are we being carried away by the “waves” of the world? In recent years, it certainly seems that way.
I’m sure you understand the analogy of the anchor and the ship. It reminds us of Hebrews 6:19, which is the ministry verse for Reasons for Hope* Jesus: “this hope we have as an anchor of the soul…sure and steadfast.” Jesus is our Anchor. Only Jesus gives us the sure and steadfast stability that we need to weather the storms of life (Read more: Why the Anchor?).
A storm has been brewing in the 2016 presidential campaign. Hold fast to your Anchored Hope!
The Day Before the Election
November 8th is a significant day, because it is the day we will elect the next President of our nation.
November 7th also has a significance that we should note . Yes, it’s the last day of the campaigns (we’ll be glad for those to end) and, yes, it’s the first Monday in November (the election is always set on the Tuesday after the first Monday in November). But the event I want to call your attention to is that of a different significance. November 7, 2016 is the 98th birthday of evangelist Billy Graham.
Billy Graham has faithfully served God for more than eight decades and no one has told more people, “God loves you,” than he has. Billy Graham has preached the gospel of saving grace around the world. From tent gatherings to large stadiums, from radio to TV and now through the internet, Billy Graham’s proclamations of God’s great love, His grace, and salvation continue to reach people worldwide.
Billy Graham has also been a prayer warrior for every administration, and a friend and spiritual advisor to every president since Truman. Billy Graham’s mission of evangelism continues to grow through the ministering work of the Billy Graham Evangelistic Association and his many family members who carry on his legacy in ministry and missionary work.
What Would Billy Graham Say?
Pray for our country’s leaders and pray for its people. And as Billy’s son Franklin has said in every state this year at the Decision America Tours, “there is no hope in the Democratic party, there is no hope in the Republican party. Our only hope is in the Lord Jesus Christ.” (watch a short video clip)
Take a minute and pause today. Think about our purpose here on earth and our country’s future. We were created for God’s pleasure and we are to live our lives to glorify Him. That includes taking part in the electoral system that chooses our leader and will ultimately direct our country.
As you think about the future of our country, pray. Pray that the hearts of Americans, our leaders, and all citizens, will turn to God in faith.
Commit to voting in the election (Is It a Sin Not to Vote?), and also commit to trusting God’s sovereignty over the election outcome and the future of our country. Find rest in knowing that God is in control and that He is working all things for His glory and our good.
Election Fears or Elect Faith?
Many are fearful about the outcome of the 2016 election. However, those who are the elect of God (those who belong to Jesus) have nothing to fear. We know that our God is in control and His love, mercy, and grace reigns supreme. We know that His plan and purpose in all things is perfect and just. We know that one day He will make all things new. And, therefore, we trust in Him alone and we find rest.
With the election fast approaching, we ask that you take a moment to remember what Billy Graham has so faithfully proclaimed to the whole world… God loves you. He gives us the calm in the storm, His strength in our weaknesses, and true hope in discouraging times.
Watch and Remember
Watch now as Billy Graham delivered a prayer at a past presidential inauguration. Also, watch and listen to words of thanks, spoken in song as a way to express gratitude for all that Billy Graham has done to serve God and to help build His kingdom here on earth.
Happy 98th Birthday, Billy Graham
Don’t Miss This One!
[notice who is off to the left of Billy Graham]
Watch more videos of former Presidents and evangelists praying and speaking words of faith on our Pause to Pray for Our Nation’s Leaders and Its People page. These videos are inspiring, encouraging, and even very surprising. They remind us of those who have gone before us and have proudly and boldly professed faith in God.
Presidents & Evangelists Pray for Our Nation
Is Not Voting a Sin? How is Voting Like Praying?
Measured By Our Words: The Wisdom of Calvin Coolidge
Is America a Christian Nation?
24 Reasons “Why I Love America,” by John Wayne
Memorial Day, 4th of July, Patriotic Articles & Videos
- Amazing Grace Bagpipes Memorial Day Tribue (A moving video to true heroes.)
- Watch 24 Reasons Why I Love America, by John Wayne (a must-see, moving video)
- Dependent Independence (video)
- Is Memorial Day Biblical?
- We Will Remember (video)
- Memories in the Cloud Staggering statistics of American deaths in all US wars. Always remember the cost.
- All Gave Some and Some Gave All – Our Fallen Heroes
- Pause to Pray (video)
- President Ronald Reagan Sharing A WWI Soldier’s Pledge (video)
- Biblical Faith During WWII
- Memories in the Cloud
- A Day to Remember (video)
- Words from the White House about our Christian Nation
- What Would Billy Graham Say…about the Election?
- Watch as Former Presidents Pray and Proclaim Faith in God and His Word (video)
- Is Not Voting a Sin? How is Voting Like Praying?
- Measured By Our Words: The Wisdom of Calvin Coolidge
- Is America a Christian Nation?
- National Day of Prayer
- At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- Two Minute Tribute to Those Who Gave Their All -- by Pres. Ronald Reagan (video)
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace (video)
- Forget Not…Three Remembrances on Memorial Day
- The Land of the Free (video)
- Thank You, God, for Freedom (video)
- The White House: Shrouded in Color or Covered in God’s Word?
- Their Legacy of Freedom Lives On - video
- No Greater Love: In Memory of Our Fallen Heroes -video
- A Prayer to Pray on Independence Day (video)
- "You Will Hear of Wars and Rumors of Wars"
- Grateful for Our Heroes - Memorial Day Tribute
- National Day of Prayer
- Which President said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- What Did President Reagan Say About Racism and Marxism?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas