Memorial Day is day for remembering those who died in military service to their country. It originated after the American Civil War to honor both Union and Confederate soldiers who had died in that war. By the twentieth century it had come to honor all fallen servicemen and women. Memorial Day also is the unofficial, but widely accepted, start of summer. With schools dismissing for summer and the days becoming warmer and warmer, Memorial Day is often a celebration of looking forward to “fun in the sun” and the “lazy days of summer” until September come when Labor Day marks the unofficial “end” of summer.
It’s wonderful to gather with friends and family to celebrate good times and the start of warmer weather and outdoor activities, but this Memorial Day be certain to take time to pause and REMEMBER. Make it a day of three-fold remembering:
REMEMBER all those who have given their lives that we might live in a free country. We must never forget them. Freedom comes at a great cost and we should give God thanks for their sacrifice. Jesus said: “Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:13). Remember their sacrifice.
2) REMEMBER all those who have given their lives in faithful service and witness for the Lord Jesus Christ. We must never forget them. Standing for Truth has never been more important and we know what we will be persecuted for it. Jesus told us that “In the world you shall have tribulation…” (John 16:33) and Paul reminded us that “….all who will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution” (2 Tim 3:12). We have brothers and sisters in Christ who are being severely persecuted and are even being killed for their faith. Remember them and be inspired to stand strong and faithful for Jesus. Remember also that Jesus promised us, “be of good cheer; I have overcome the world” (John 16:33) and Paul reminded us:
Romans 8:35-39 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Pray daily for our brothers and sisters-in-Christ who are being persecuted for their faith and give thanks to God for their faithful testimony. Remember those who have been killed for their faith and give thanks to God for His receiving them into the company of all the saints in Heaven.
Finally, and most importantly, REMEMBER THE LORD. On this Memorial Day and every day throughout the year, give thanks to the Lord for His sacrifice. He gave His life to pay our debt and He has given us abundant life and the gift of His Holy Spirit. We must always remember His sacrifice and never forget His benefits. David reminds us of this in Psalm 103.
Psalm 103:1-7, 11-12, 20-22 Bless the LORD, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies, Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagle’s. The LORD executes righteousness And justice for all who are oppressed….. For as the heavens are high above the earth, So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him; As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us…. Bless the LORD, you His angels, Who excel in strength, who do His word, Heeding the voice of His word. Bless the LORD, all you His hosts, You ministers of His, who do His pleasure. Bless the LORD, all His works, In all places of His dominion. Bless the LORD, O my soul!
Remember those who gave their lives for our country.
Remember those who gave their lives in faithfulness to Jesus.
Remember and pray for those who are persecuted for His name’s sake.
Remember the Lord and find rest in His sufficient grace.
Watch also: Memories in the Cloud…an inspiring video that reflects on the number of American deaths in all the wars the US has fought. The statistics are staggering. Let’s always remember the cost.
Memorial Day, 4th of July, Patriotic Articles & Videos
- Watch 24 Reasons Why I Love America, by John Wayne (a must see, moving video)
- Dependent Independence (video)
- Is Memorial Day Biblical?
- We Will Remember (video)
- Pause to Pray (video)
- President Ronald Reagan Sharing A WWI Soldier’s Pledge (video)
- Biblical Faith During WWII
- Memories in the Cloud
- A Day to Remember (video)
- Words from the White House about our Christian Nation
- What Would Billy Graham Say…about the Election?
- Watch as Former Presidents Pray and Proclaim Faith in God and His Word (video)
- Is Not Voting a Sin? How is Voting Like Praying?
- Measured By Our Words: The Wisdom of Calvin Coolidge
- Is America a Christian Nation?
- National Day of Prayer
- At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- Two Minute Tribute to Those Who Gave Their All -- by Pres. Ronald Reagan (video)
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace (video)
- Forget Not…Three Remembrances on Memorial Day
- The Land of the Free (video)
- Thank You, God, for Freedom (video)
- The White House: Shrouded in Color or Covered in God’s Word?
- Amazing Grace Bagpipes -video (A real tear-jerker)
- Their Legacy of Freedom Lives On - video
- No Greater Love: In Memory of Our Fallen Heroes -video
- A Prayer to Pray on Independence Day (video)
- "You Will Hear of Wars and Rumors of Wars"
- Grateful for Our Heroes - Memorial Day Tribute
- National Day of Prayer
- Which President Said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- What Did President Reagan Say About Racism and Marxism?
If you do NOT know Jesus, click here NOW!
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering
YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and we need your help to continue. Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?*** Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. Subscribe to our newsletter and we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email). SUBSCRIBE NOW
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR