Memorial Day is a day for remembering those who died serving their country in military service. It began after the American Civil War to honor Union and Confederate soldiers who had died, and by the twentieth century, the day had come to honor all fallen servicemen and servicewomen.
Memorial Day also is the unofficial but widely accepted start of summer. With schools dismissing for summer and the days becoming warmer and warmer, Memorial Day is often a celebration of looking forward to “fun in the sun” and the “lazy, hazy, crazy days of summer.”
It’s always wonderful to gather with friends and family to celebrate good times and the start of warmer weather and fun outdoor activities, but on Memorial Day, take time to pause and REMEMBER. Make it a day of three-fold remembering:
REMEMBER all those who have given their lives that we might live in a free country. We must never forget them. Freedom comes at a great cost, and we should thank God for their sacrifice. Jesus said: “Greater love has no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends” (John 15:13). Remember their sacrifice.
REMEMBER all those who gave their lives in faithful service and witness for the Lord Jesus Christ. We must never forget them. Standing for Truth has never been more important, and many have been persecuted for it, and many will be.
Jesus told us that “In the world, you shall have tribulation…” (John 16:33), and Paul reminded us that “….all who will live godly in Christ Jesus shall suffer persecution” (2 Tim 3:12).
We have brothers and sisters in Christ who are being severely persecuted, even killed, for their faith. Remember them and be inspired by their witness to stand strong and faithful for Jesus. Remember also that Jesus promised us, “…I have overcome the world” (John 16:33), and Paul reminded us:
Romans 8:35-39 Who shall separate us from the love of Christ? shall tribulation, or distress, or persecution, or famine, or nakedness, or peril, or sword? As it is written, For thy sake we are killed all the day long; we are accounted as sheep for the slaughter. Nay, in all these things we are more than conquerors through him that loved us. For I am persuaded, that neither death, nor life, nor angels, nor principalities, nor powers, nor things present, nor things to come, Nor height, nor depth, nor any other creature, shall be able to separate us from the love of God, which is in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Pray daily for our brothers and sisters-in-Christ who are being persecuted for their faith, and thank God for their faithful testimony.
Remember those who have been killed for their faith and give thanks to God for His receiving them into the company of all the saints in Heaven.
Finally, and most importantly, REMEMBER THE LORD. On this Memorial Day and every day throughout the year, thank the Lord for His sacrifice. He gave His life to pay our debt, and has given us abundant life and the gift of His Holy Spirit. We must always remember His sacrifice and never forget His benefits. David reminds us of this in Psalm 103.
Psalm 103:1-7 Bless the LORD, O my soul; And all that is within me, bless His holy name! Bless the LORD, O my soul, And forget not all His benefits: Who forgives all your iniquities, Who heals all your diseases, Who redeems your life from destruction, Who crowns you with lovingkindness and tender mercies, Who satisfies your mouth with good things, So that your youth is renewed like the eagles. The LORD executes righteousness And justice for all who are oppressed…..
103:11-12 For as the heavens are high above the earth, So great is His mercy toward those who fear Him; As far as the east is from the west, So far has He removed our transgressions from us….
103:20 Bless the LORD, you His angels, Who excel in strength, who do His word, Heeding the voice of His word.
103:21 Bless the LORD, all you His hosts, You ministers of His, who do His pleasure.
103:22 Bless the LORD, all His works, In all places of His dominion. Bless the LORD, O my soul!
Remember those who gave their lives for our country and those who gave their lives in faithfulness to Jesus. Remember and pray for those who are persecuted for His name’s sake. And most importantly, remember the Lord and find rest in His sufficient grace.
Watch also: Memories in the Cloud…
an inspiring video that reflects on the number of American deaths in all the wars the US has fought. The statistics are staggering. Let’s always remember the cost.
Memorial Day, Patriotic Articles & Videos, 4th of July
- Amazing Grace Bagpipes Memorial Day Tribue (A moving video to true heroes.)
- Watch 24 Reasons Why I Love America, by John Wayne (a must-see, moving video)
- Is Memorial Day Biblical?
- Memories in the Cloud Staggering statistics of American deaths in all US wars.
- All Gave Some, and Some Gave All – Our Fallen Heroes
- Pause to Pray (video)
- President Ronald Reagan Sharing A WWI Soldier’s Pledge (video)
- Biblical Faith During WWII
- A Cloud of Witnesses for Freedom and Truth
- At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- Two Minute Tribute to Those Who Gave Their All -- by Pres. Ronald Reagan (video)
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace (video)
- Forget Not…Three Remembrances on Memorial Day
- The Land of the Free (video)
- Thank You, God, for Freedom (video)
- Their Legacy of Freedom Lives On - video
- No Greater Love: In Memory of Our Fallen Heroes -video
- A Prayer to Pray on Independence Day (video)
- "You Will Hear of Wars and Rumors of Wars"
- Grateful for Our Heroes - Memorial Day Tribute
Independence Day/4th of July
Touching Remembrances of 9/11
- A Day to Remember (video)
- We Will Remember (video)
- Why Was a 9/11 Memorial Video Age-Restricted?
- Remember 9/11 – Cry Out to Jesus – The Answer for All Who Suffer
- Always Remember September 11 ( 9/11 Tribute )
- Has Anyone Ever Taken Your Place? An Amazing Account + A 9/11 Tribute
- Why Did the Terrorists Choose 9/11 to Attack?
- Who Was the First Victim of 9/11?
- The Light in the Darkness of 9/11
- What to think this 9/11?
Prayer, Our Nation, and our Presidents
- Which President said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- What Did President Reagan Say About Racism and Marxism?
- Words from the White House about our Christian Nation
- What Would Billy Graham Say…about the Election?
- Watch as Former Presidents Pray and Proclaim Faith in God and His Word (video)
- Is Not Voting a Sin? How is Voting Like Praying?
- Measured By Our Words: The Wisdom of Calvin Coolidge
- Is America a Christian Nation?
- National Day of Prayer
- The White House: Shrouded in Color or Covered in God’s Word?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED