King John of Bohemia was 14 when his father arranged his marriage to Elisabeth, the sister of the deceased King Wenceslaus III of Bohemia. He was therefore considered to be an ‘alien king’ and was not well-liked by his people. When he was 39 or 40 he lost his eyesight crusading in Lithuania.
It was at the Battle of Crecy in 1346 that King John was said to have asked the men around him to direct him into fighting. So his men all tied their horses together and then tied their horses to his so that they would not lose him in the fray. In the midst of the fighting, he blindly swung his sword and was able to kill several men before he and his men were killed.
Kings had to prove to be the bravest and strongest of all their mighty men, and be able to lead them into battle. This valiant yet voluntary duty continued up through the 20th century.
A Greater King is My King
There is one king who has not left this rank, one who is called KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS (Revelation 19:16), thou King of saints (Revelation 15:3), THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS (Jeremiah 23:6). He hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all (Psalm 103:19). He has a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 10&11) This very King shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace. (Exodus 14:14)
This fundamental doctrine should be all we need to brave the big battles we occasionally and undoubtedly will face, as well as the little battles we deal with on a regular basis.
He Goes Before Me in My Battle
My recent considerable battle was surgery; a modified radical double mastectomy. Scary? Yes! Was I comforted knowing that my King was fighting for me? Yes, Yes, Yes! Am I certain I will be cancer-free with no complications? No, and that’s alright because I am certain that I love Him, And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28) If His purpose for me is to have complications, then I am certain it is one of the ‘things’ that are working together for good. So, into the operating room I go – with my amazing King on the frontline!
I thought I would be ‘out’ before being wheeled into the OR, but I wasn’t. (What an interesting room this is might I say!) The entire operating team was introducing themselves to me and prepping me. They asked what music I wanted to listen to and I said I am a Christian and would love to hear some Christian music. “How Great Thou Art” came on. Not only was it so beautifully timed for me to hear praise to my God at that moment, but these lyrics of the gospel were heard in everyone’s ears
… And when I think that God, his Son not sparing, Sent him to die, I scarce can take it in, That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing, He bled and died to take away my sin.
They were all listening. My surgeon held my hand and closed her eyes through it. I remember saying to her, “What a wonderful thing this is you guys do here.” She nodded her head. I couldn’t believe that not only did I have such peace in this moment, but that everyone in the room was hearing this wonderful song, and it’s words of life. As I was praying for it to open their hearts to Jesus, I drifted off to sleep.
How Great Thou Art!
The Top Ten Power of Hope Articles from 2018
- JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
- The GATE OF THE YEAR: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- TWO WOMEN—Two Stories—Two Songs
- “LAUGHTER is the Best Medicine” Who Said That?
- The WIZARD OF OZ and God
- Following the Good, Great, and Chief SHEPHERD
- The best EULOGY to remember a father!
- ISRAEL Celebrates 70 YEARS As A Nation & the Significance for Christians
- HELLO DARKNESS, My Old Friend: The Sounds of Silence
- CHARLIE BROWN THEOLOGY
Our Ministry’s Two Favorite Articles from 2018:
Facing Terminal Cancer with Hope & Joy
When the Battle is Lost but the Victory is Won — Saying Goodbye to a Friend
The Top Ten Got Questions? Articles from 2018
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Where did OT Saints go at death?ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- Should we call HIS NAME Jesus? Or Yahweh?Or Yeshua?
- Jesus said, I NEVER KNEW YOU. Why?
- Can JEWS go to HEAVEN without knowing Jesus?
Other Popular Questions:
- Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Why Is PRAYER Important?
- Is There a Hidden Message in Revelation 7?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Top Three Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's Hallelujah
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace
- Psalm 34 – Taste and See That the Lord is Good
Reasons for Hope* Jesus is a non-profit, donor-supported ministry.
PLEASE CONSIDER SUPPORTING REASONS FOR HOPE* JESUS.
A donation of any amount is helpful and greatly appreciated.
You Can Make a Difference: ~ CLICK TO DONATE ~
Use PayPal or a Credit Card for safe, secure giving.
Visit our Store