King John of Bohemia was 14 when his father arranged his marriage to Elisabeth, the sister of the deceased King Wenceslaus III of Bohemia. He was therefore considered to be an ‘alien king’ and was not well-liked by his people. When he was 39 or 40 he lost his eyesight crusading in Lithuania.
It was at the Battle of Crecy in 1346 that King John was said to have asked the men around him to direct him into fighting. So his men all tied their horses together and then tied their horses to his so that they would not lose him in the fray. In the midst of the fighting, he blindly swung his sword and was able to kill several men before he and his men were killed.
Kings had to prove to be the bravest and strongest of all their mighty men, and be able to lead them into battle. This valiant yet voluntary duty continued up through the 20th century.
A Greater King is My King
There is one king who has not left this rank, one who is called KING OF KINGS, AND LORD OF LORDS (Revelation 19:16), thou King of saints (Revelation 15:3), THE LORD OUR RIGHTEOUSNESS (Jeremiah 23:6). He hath prepared his throne in the heavens; and his kingdom ruleth over all (Psalm 103:19). He has a name which is above every name: That at the name of Jesus every knee should bow, of things in heaven, and things in earth, and things under the earth; And that every tongue should confess that Jesus Christ is Lord, to the glory of God the Father. (Philippians 10&11) This very King shall fight for you, and ye shall hold your peace. (Exodus 14:14)
This fundamental doctrine should be all we need to brave the big battles we occasionally and undoubtedly will face, as well as the little battles we deal with on a regular basis.
He Goes Before Me in My Battle
My recent considerable battle was surgery; a modified radical double mastectomy. Scary? Yes! Was I comforted knowing that my King was fighting for me? Yes, Yes, Yes! Am I certain I will be cancer-free with no complications? No, and that’s alright because I am certain that I love Him, And we know that all things work together for good to them that love God, to them who are the called according to his purpose. (Romans 8:28) If His purpose for me is to have complications, then I am certain it is one of the ‘things’ that are working together for good. So, into the operating room I go – with my amazing King on the frontline!
I thought I would be ‘out’ before being wheeled into the OR, but I wasn’t. (What an interesting room this is might I say!) The entire operating team was introducing themselves to me and prepping me. They asked what music I wanted to listen to and I said I am a Christian and would love to hear some Christian music. “How Great Thou Art” came on. Not only was it so beautifully timed for me to hear praise to my God at that moment, but these lyrics of the gospel were heard in everyone’s ears
… And when I think that God, his Son not sparing, Sent him to die, I scarce can take it in, That on the cross, my burden gladly bearing, He bled and died to take away my sin.
They were all listening. My surgeon held my hand and closed her eyes through it. I remember saying to her, “What a wonderful thing this is you guys do here.” She nodded her head. I couldn’t believe that not only did I have such peace in this moment, but that everyone in the room was hearing this wonderful song, and it’s words of life. As I was praying for it to open their hearts to Jesus, I drifted off to sleep.
How Great Thou Art!
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED