Certainly, you remember the day in June 2015 when the White House was shrouded in color. With only six colors, it wasn’t a rainbow. It was one short of God’s seven-colored rainbow. (Read: Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?)
Long before that day in 2015, and even until our time, our nation’s White House has been covered in something else–the providential blessings of God and the presence of His Word. It cannot be denied that the United States was established and governed by men of faith who took the oath of office on a Bible and spoke words of faith in God and His Word. As we celebrate Independence Day, let’s take a minute to hear words of wisdom from the White House about God, the Bible, and faith in Jesus.
Words from the White House
George Washington– 1st President of the United States
“It is the duty of all nations to acknowledge the providence of Almighty God, to obey His will, to be grateful for His benefits, and humbly to implore His protection and favor.”
“Of all the dispositions and habits, which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports.”
“It is impossible to rightly govern a nation without God and the Bible.”
“The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right, which heaven itself has ordained.”
John Adams – 2nd President of the United States
“The highest glory of the American Revolution was this: it connected, in one indissoluble bond, the principles of civil government with the principles of Christianity.
“We recognize no sovereign but God, and no King but Jesus!”
Abigail Adams – Wife of John Adams, First Lady of the United States
“The Scriptures tell us righteousness exalteth a Nation.”
Thomas Jefferson – 3rd President of the United States
“And can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are of the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep forever.
Thomas Jefferson, The Jefferson Memorial
“The Christian religion is the best religion that has ever been given to man.”
“My God! How little do my countrymen know what precious blessings they are in possession of, and which no other people on Earth enjoy!”
James Madison – 4th President of the United States
“We have staked the whole future of American civilization not on the power of government, far from it. We have staked the whole of our political institutions upon the capacity of mankind for self-government, upon the capacity of each and all of us to govern ourselves according to the commandments of God. The future and success of America is not in this Constitution, but in the laws of God upon which this Constitution is founded.”
James Monroe – 5th President of the United States
“Before any man can be considered as a member of civil society, he must be considered as a subject of the Governor of the Universe. And to the same Divine Author of every good and perfect gift we are indebted for all those privileges and advantages, religious as well as civil, which are so richly enjoyed in this favored land.”
John Quincy Adams – 6th President of the United States
“The Bible is the first and almost the only book deserving of universal attention.”
“My custom is to read four or five chapters of the Bible every morning immediately after rising. It seems to me the most suitable manner of beginning the day. It is an invaluable and inexhaustible mine of knowledge and virtue.”
Andrew Jackson – 7th President of the United States of America
“[The Bible] is the rock on which our Republic rests.”
Martin Van Buren – 8th President of the United States of America
“The atonement of Jesus Christ is the only remedy and rest for my soul.”
William Henry Harrison – 9th President of the United States of America
“Conscience, that vicegerent of God in the human heart, whose “still small voice” the loudest revelry cannot drown.”
John Tyler – 10th President of the United States of America
“If we find ourselves increasing beyond example in numbers, in strength, in wealth, in knowledge, in everything which promotes human and social happiness, let us ever remember our dependence for all these on the protection and merciful dispensations of Divine Providence.”
James K. Polk – 11th President of the United States of America
“I fervently invoke the aid of that Almighty Ruler of the Universe in whose hands are the destinies of nations.”
Zachary Taylor – 12th President of the United States of America
“The Bible is the best of books, and I wish it were in the hands of every one. It is indispensable to the safety and permanence of our institutions. A free government can not exist without religion and morals, and there cannot be morals without religion. Especially should the Bible be placed in the hands of the young. It is the best school book in the world. I would that all our people were brought up under the influence of that holy book.”
“In conclusion, I congratulate you, my fellow-citizens, upon the high state of prosperity to which the goodness of Divine Providence has conducted our common country. Let us invoke a continuance of the same protecting care which has led us from small beginnings to the eminence we this day occupy”
Millard Fillmore – 13th President of the United States of America
May God save the country, for it is evident that the people will not.
Franklin Pierce – 14th President of the United States of America
“It must be felt that there is no national security but in the nation’s humble, acknowledged dependence upon God and His overruling providence.”
“I can express no better hope for my country than that the kind Providence which smiled upon our fathers may enable their children to preserve the blessings they have inherited.”
James Buchanen – 15th President of the United States of America
“It is the right of every citizen to worship his God according to the dictates of his conscience.”
Self admittedly a man of little faith, his last words were, “O Lord, God Almighty, as Thou wilt,” and, in his will, he left a bequest for his church.
Abraham Lincoln – 16th President of the United States of America
“Intelligence, patriotism, Christianity, and a firm reliance on Him who has never yet forsaken this favored land, are still competent to adjust in the best way all our present difficulties.” – Abraham Lincoln’s inaugural address, March 4, 1861
“I believe the Bible is the best gift God has ever given to man. All the good from The Savior of the world is communicated to us through this Book. But for it, we could not know right from wrong. All things most desirable for man’s welfare, here and hereafter, are found portrayed in it.”
“I am busily engaged in the study of the Bible. I believe it is God’s word because it finds me where I am.”
“Take all that you can of this book upon reason, and the balance on faith, and you will live and die a happier man.” (When a skeptic expressed surprise to see him reading a Bible)
Theodore Roosevelt – 26th President of the United States of America
“I believe that the next half century will determine if we will advance the cause of Christian civilization or revert to the horrors of brutal paganism.”
Calvin Coolidge– 30th President of the United States of America
“The foundations of our society and our government rest so much on the teachings of the Bible that it would be difficult to support them if faith in these teachings would cease to be practically universal in our country.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt – 32nd President of the United States of America
“[The United States is] founded on the principles of Christianity.”
“This is a Christian nation.”
Franklin D. Roosevelt, January 25, 1941
As Commander-in-Chief I take pleasure in commending the reading of the Bible to all who serve in the armed forces of the United States. Throughout the centuries men of many faiths and diverse origins have found in the Sacred Book words of wisdom, counsel and inspiration. It is a fountain of strength and now, as always, an aid in attaining the highest aspirations of the human soul. [Letter from the White House to the Armed Forces on the first page of my father’s military-issued New Testament and Psalms pocket Bible.]
Harry S. Truman – 33rd President of the United States of America
“The fundamental basis of this Nation’s law was given to Moses on the Mount. The fundamental basis of our Bill of Rights comes from the teachings which we get from Exodus and St. Matthew, from Isaiah and St. Paul.”
Dwight D. Eisenhower – 34th President of the United States of America
“Without God there could be no American form of government, nor an American way of life. Recognition of the Supreme Being is the first, the most basic, expression of Americanism. Thus, the founding fathers of America saw it, and thus with God’s help, it will continue to be.”
Ronald Reagan – 40th President of the United States of America
“Inside the Bible’s pages lie the answers to all the problems that mankind has ever known. I hope Americans will read and study the Bible.”
President Ronald Reagan, Dallas Ecumenical Prayer Breakfast, August 23, 1984
“Without God, there is no virtue, because there is no prompting of the conscience. Without God, we’re mired in the material, that flat world that tells us only what our senses can perceive. Without God, there is a coarsening of society. And without God, democracy will not and cannot long endure. If we ever forget that we’re one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under!”
A Country Built by Men and Women of Faith
Our country was built by men and women of faith who lived by Christian values, morals, and ethics. The United States of America needs revival, but it will only happen if our people seek God, follow His ways, and diligently proclaim the saving grace of Jesus Christ to those who do not know Him. The only thing that will revive our country is a nation that turns to God.
Before you begin your fourth of July celebrations, please join us in a prayer for our country’s leaders and for all people to know and love Jesus.
Father, in a time when our freedom of religion in America is being threatened we remember that You are Sovereign over all things. We ask that you preserve our freedom to publicly speak Your Name and to proclaim Your will and ways. We ask that You have mercy on our country and our leaders who have gone against Your Word. We ask that You strengthen those who stand for Your will. We ask that You empower and equip Your people to be Your willing servants, to speak Your truths, to reflect Your love, and to turn the hearts of all people to You. On this 4th of July holiday weekend, we proclaim You to be our only true hope. It is in You alone that we put our trust. We ask all these things in the precious name of Jesus and for His glory. Amen.
Memorial Day, Patriotic Articles & Videos, 4th of July
- Amazing Grace Bagpipes Memorial Day Tribue (A moving video to true heroes.)
- Watch 24 Reasons Why I Love America, by John Wayne (a must-see, moving video)
- Is Memorial Day Biblical?
- Memories in the Cloud Staggering statistics of American deaths in all US wars.
- All Gave Some, and Some Gave All – Our Fallen Heroes
- Pause to Pray (video)
- President Ronald Reagan Sharing A WWI Soldier’s Pledge (video)
- Biblical Faith During WWII
- A Cloud of Witnesses for Freedom and Truth
- At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- Two Minute Tribute to Those Who Gave Their All -- by Pres. Ronald Reagan (video)
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace (video)
- Forget Not…Three Remembrances on Memorial Day
- The Land of the Free (video)
- Thank You, God, for Freedom (video)
- Their Legacy of Freedom Lives On - video
- No Greater Love: In Memory of Our Fallen Heroes -video
- A Prayer to Pray on Independence Day (video)
- "You Will Hear of Wars and Rumors of Wars"
- Grateful for Our Heroes - Memorial Day Tribute
Independence Day/4th of July
Touching Remembrances of 9/11
- A Day to Remember (video)
- We Will Remember (video)
- Why Was a 9/11 Memorial Video Age-Restricted?
- Remember 9/11 – Cry Out to Jesus – The Answer for All Who Suffer
- Always Remember September 11 ( 9/11 Tribute )
- Has Anyone Ever Taken Your Place? An Amazing Account + A 9/11 Tribute
- Why Did the Terrorists Choose 9/11 to Attack?
- Who Was the First Victim of 9/11?
- The Light in the Darkness of 9/11
- What to think this 9/11?
Prayer, Our Nation, and our Presidents
- Which President said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- What Did President Reagan Say About Racism and Marxism?
- Words from the White House about our Christian Nation
- What Would Billy Graham Say…about the Election?
- Watch as Former Presidents Pray and Proclaim Faith in God and His Word (video)
- Is Not Voting a Sin? How is Voting Like Praying?
- Measured By Our Words: The Wisdom of Calvin Coolidge
- Is America a Christian Nation?
- National Day of Prayer
- The White House: Shrouded in Color or Covered in God’s Word?
Who Said That?
We all say them… short phrases that convey a message. Common, everyday sayings that are figurative language but have a well-understood meaning. Many sayings have been popular for centuries, so it’s no surprise that they find their origins in the words of the Bible. Find out...Who Said That? or buy the book Who Said That? and read them all (140+ sayings from the Bible).
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED