War is an event that is all too well-known to our nation and to the world. As we approach another observance of Memorial Day the matter of war is again brought to the forefront of our thinking..
War in the Bible
The Word of God has much to say about war, detailing in the Old Testament battle after battle and the tremendous loss of lives. That history, and what has taken place since, should give us great pause if we would allow this Memorial Day to serve its purpose as a time to consider the loss, the terrible horrors of war, and to remember those who served.
Deuteronomy 20 is a chapter that could be titled, The Law of Warfare” . . .
“When you go out to battle against your enemies . . .” (Deuteronomy 20:1)
This is a most sobering declaration. It does not say, “if you go out to battle” but rather, “when you go . . .” War is inevitable. God so warned and instructed Israel about war; and Jesus put His divine witness to its inevitability when He said,
“And you will hear of wars and rumors of wars . . .” (Matthew 24:6)
And such the biblical reminder that wars will continue, at least, until Jesus returns and sets in motion the dawning of His reign and the end of the world system as we know it — a world without wars, and without sin.
Until that day, and as long as God allows America to be, Memorial Days will be observed. There will be a time set apart in which we fulfill the intent of this special day — to honor the men and women who died while serving in the U. S. Military during times of war.
What especially motivates me to address this matter of Memorial Day is the remembrance of the valient men who I knew — men who served in the most difficult of times and in the most difficult of situations. These men were not of those who died in battle. They were men who served and returned from the horrors of war and, though history may now have forgotten them, they were valiant men.
The definition of the word “valiant,” as an adjective, is, “to be boldly courageous, brave, stout-hearted.” Keep that in mind as you and I hopefully take time to remember those have served our country in times of war.
Memorial Day is a very special Day to me, for I am brought to remembrance that I come from a long line of valiant, courageous, and brave men. I believe the Lord desires that I keep them in my thoughts on Memorial Day and remember their service.
My War Heroes
I hold in my hands a medal that belonged to my grandfather It “speaks” of his service in the U. S. Army during World War I. It has attached to it bars that indicate the specific engagements in the battlefields of Europe — “the Meuse – Argonne, the Marne” and more. My grandfather would sit across from me at the dining room table and tell \of the horrors of what he experienced in The Great War. My eyes surely widened as he related to me the heroics of men, who fought alongside him, and many who gave their life in what was called, The War to End all Wars. My grandfather served and he lived to tell about it. And I remember.
As I look through an old box of many medals, my father comes to mind because many of the medals are his. My father came from a rather poor family, three boys and two girls, and a father (my grandfather) who had served his country in perilous times. When war broke out in Japan and Europe, my father and his brother (the younger of the three boys) enlisted in the U. S. Navy and went to war. My father’s oldest brother was already in the Army. He served under General George S. Patton in Europe, where he was wounded in action. My father and his younger brother both served together on a U. S. destroyer in the Pacific during WWII and my father served again in the Korean War (here are medals in the box from that war too).
War Changes People
Though my father and his brother spoke very little about the war, I remember my mom saying, “Your father was never the same person after he came back from the war.” Both of them returned from the battles forever marked inwardly by what many of us will never understand. They had spent years fighting against an enemy who sought to destroy them. And, in turn, they sought to destroy that enemy and win the battle. Such is war, so easily defined but the most difficutl of times.
When Jesus spoke of the inevitability of wars, saying, “You shall hear of wars and rumors of wars….” (Matt 24:6, Mark 13:7, Luke 21:9), we often don’t realize what a sobering statement He gave. It is unsettling when one stops to think on it, especially if one has been there.
The Legacy of War
The legacy of my family’s service during wartime caused me to follow in their footsteps. In December of 1964, I joined the U. S. Navy at 17. As I now experience the long life that my God has graciously given me on this earth, I become even more emotionally attached to Memorial Day and to what it is really all about.
I just finished reading a book titled, On Desperate Ground, written by Hampton Sides. The book records the actions of U. S. Marines in Korea, at the Chosin Reservoir. The book is filled with the names of men who did remarkable feats in the midst of circumstances that readers of our day find almost unbelievable. What struck me were the names of these heroic figures.— the names of real men who are remembered by very few people. The author has made an important contribution to American history by recording their names and telling a new generation of their heroic wartime service for their country.
In memorial to the valiant, to those I never met and to those I have personally known, to those who served our nation in perilous times and those who served in times of peace, to those who gave their lives and to those who were blessed to return home, I will be observing Memorial Day as it is so intended to be observed — remembering them. May a grateful nation humbly come together to pause and to remember “the valiant.” And may we thank God for them.
Memorial Day, 4th of July, Patriotic Articles & Videos
- Amazing Grace Bagpipes Memorial Day Tribue (A moving video to true heroes.)
- Watch 24 Reasons Why I Love America, by John Wayne (a must-see, moving video)
- Dependent Independence (video)
- Is Memorial Day Biblical?
- We Will Remember (video)
- Memories in the Cloud Staggering statistics of American deaths in all US wars. Always remember the cost.
- All Gave Some and Some Gave All – Our Fallen Heroes
- Pause to Pray (video)
- President Ronald Reagan Sharing A WWI Soldier’s Pledge (video)
- Biblical Faith During WWII
- Memories in the Cloud
- A Day to Remember (video)
- Words from the White House about our Christian Nation
- What Would Billy Graham Say…about the Election?
- Watch as Former Presidents Pray and Proclaim Faith in God and His Word (video)
- Is Not Voting a Sin? How is Voting Like Praying?
- Measured By Our Words: The Wisdom of Calvin Coolidge
- Is America a Christian Nation?
- National Day of Prayer
- At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- Two Minute Tribute to Those Who Gave Their All -- by Pres. Ronald Reagan (video)
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace (video)
- Forget Not…Three Remembrances on Memorial Day
- The Land of the Free (video)
- Thank You, God, for Freedom (video)
- The White House: Shrouded in Color or Covered in God’s Word?
- Their Legacy of Freedom Lives On - video
- No Greater Love: In Memory of Our Fallen Heroes -video
- A Prayer to Pray on Independence Day (video)
- "You Will Hear of Wars and Rumors of Wars"
- Grateful for Our Heroes - Memorial Day Tribute
- National Day of Prayer
- Which President said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- What Did President Reagan Say About Racism and Marxism?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas