Scroll Down For The Video & to Read the Full Poem
We stand at the gate of the year. A new year is dawning, and it’s time to say goodbye to the old. We look back with nostalgia for that which has passed, and we look forward with anticipation of that which is before us.
As we pass through the gate of the year, no one can know what the new year will bring. But God knows!
There’s a great lesson to be learned from a message given to the people of one of the most powerful nations on earth as they endured a time of uncertainty and fear. More than seven decades have passed, but the truths of this message remain. As we stand at the gate of the new year, let us remember these unshakable truths.
A Message to a Troubled Nation
In December 1939, Great Britain was at war. The Third Reich of Nazi Germany had ruled Germany since Hitler took over in 1933. Germany had become a fascist totalitarian state, and the Hitler regime had spread terror across Europe. In September 1939, Great Britain entered the Second World War. And in three months, the nation was gripped in fear. With every air-raid siren that pierced the ears of the English people, anxiety increased, and fear overwhelmed them. Uncertainty for the New Year reigned in the hearts and minds of Great Britain’s citizens.
In December 1939, King George VI was England’s reigning monarch. As was the custom, the king addressed the nation on a BBC radio broadcast on Christmas Day. And in the uncertain last days of 1939, the king spoke words of peace to calm his nation. He reminded them of the only true King, the One who can provide true peace and real rest in such troubled times. As King George concluded his message of encouragement, he read the preamble of a poem that his young daughter, Princess Elizabeth, had brought to his attention.
Princess Elizabeth was only 13 years old in 1939. The poem she brought to her father’s attention was titled God Knows. It was written by British poet Minnie Louise Haskins (1875-1957) and published in 1908 as part of a collection of poems in a book titled The Desert. Years later, this poem gained popularity with a new title, The Gate of the Year, taken from the poem’s first line.
Words of Truth and Hope
King George read the poem’s preamble to reassure the people of England that their future was secure….in the hands of God.
The poem’s wisdom was true for the English people on that Christmas Day in 1939 and it is true for us today.
Therefore, as the new year dawns, let us remember that God is our only safe harbor. He is our only true hope. And when we put our hand in His, that is our trust in Him, He will light our path and direct our steps into the new year.
God Knows/The Gate of the Year
And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year:
“Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.”
And he replied:
“Go out into the darkness and put your hand in the Hand of God. That shall be to you better than light and safer than a known way.”
So I went forth, and finding the Hand of God, trod gladly into the night. And He led me towards the hills and the breaking of day in the lone East.
Upon the death of King George (1952), Princess Elizabeth became the Queen of the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and New Zealand. Remembering the poem, her father had read so many years before, she had the words engraved upon brass plaques and attached to the gates of the King George VI Memorial Chapel at Windsor Castle. Interred at this chapel are the bodies of King George VI, his wife Queen Elizabeth (The Queen Mother), and the ashes of their second daughter Princess Margaret. When The Queen Mother died in 2002, the reigning Queen Elizabeth had The Gate of the Year read at her funeral. The words are also inscribed in a window at the Queen’s Chapel of the Savoy.
Additionally, the preamble of the poem was quoted in the 1940 MGM movie, The Mortal Storm (watch the video clip below).
The words of this poem were a message of assurance to a nation at war. They were words of comfort in the loss of loved ones, and words of hope for war to end. They were words of truth that our God is in control and we need not fear.
Take a minute and hear King George’s Christmas message and read the entire poem.
Poem is read at 3:06
God Knows / The Gate of the Year
And I said to the man who stood at the gate of the year:
“Give me a light that I may tread safely into the unknown.”
And he replied:
“Go out into the darkness and
put your hand into the Hand of God.
That shall be to you better than light
and safer than a known way.”
So I went forth, and finding the Hand of God, trod gladly into the night.
And He led me towards the hills and the breaking of day in the lone East.
So heart be still:
What need our little life
Our human life to know,
If God hath comprehension?
In all the dizzy strife
Of things both high and low,
God hideth His intention.
God knows. His will is best.
The stretch of years
Which wind ahead, so dim
To our imperfect vision,
Are clear to God. Our fears
Are premature; In Him,
All time hath full provision.
Then rest: until
God moves to lift the veil
From our impatient eyes,
When, as the sweeter features
Of Life’s stern face we hail,
Fair beyond all surmise
God’s thought around His creatures
Our mind shall fill.
How do you “put your hand into the Hand of God” and let Him lead you this year?
It’s not by doing better, it’s by believing better. It’s by trusting that “God knows. His will is best.”
- Commit this year to knowing Jesus better through reading and studying His Word. When you know Him better, you will love Him more and you will find peace in Him.
- Commit this year to entering into deeper communion with Jesus through prayer. When you commune with Him more, you will find rest in Him.
- Commit this year to remembering all that Jesus has done for you and all that He has given you. (Read our list of 7, here) When you remember Jesus, your mind will be transformed and God will faithfully conform you more and more to the image of His Son.
As you enter the gate of the year let this be your prayer:
Open to me the gates of righteousness: I will go into them, and I will praise the LORD: This gate of the LORD, into which the righteous shall enter. I will praise thee: for thou hast heard me, and art become my salvation. (Psalm 118:19-21)
HAPPY NEW YEAR
from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
Take a minute and watch the ending of the 1940 MGM movie, The Mortal Storm. The movie opens in 1933 Germany with Hitler ascending to power and tells the story of a family torn apart by the Nazi regime. The movie is a sad commentary on the evil that lies in the hearts of men. It is a powerful testimony to the tyranny of a government that abuses its power. And, most importantly, it is an alarming picture of where our country could go if the people fail to put their hand into the hand of God and let Him lead. I encourage you to see the movie.
Inspiration for the New Year:
For Days of Auld Lang Syne
What are “The 70 New Year’s Resolutions?”
A New Year’s Meditation by Matthew Henry (1662-1714)
A New Year, A New Hope, It’s My Year – Guaranteed to Make You Smile! (video)
How Do I Change My Life? Two New Year’s Resolutions that will work!
Is a New Year’s Eve party biblical? What about the alcohol?
At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
I Resolve To….(video)
A New Year, A New Start. . .Another Resolution?
A New Year, A New Beginning
Good Reminders for the New Year
Ways to Glorify God - Bookmark
70 New Year's Resolution by Jonathan Edwards
Not feeling in a celebratory mood? Remember, you are not alone. Read this article & watch the short video.
Memorial Day, Patriotic Articles & Videos, 4th of July
- Amazing Grace Bagpipes Memorial Day Tribue (A moving video to true heroes.)
- Watch 24 Reasons Why I Love America, by John Wayne (a must-see, moving video)
- Is Memorial Day Biblical?
- Memories in the Cloud Staggering statistics of American deaths in all US wars.
- All Gave Some, and Some Gave All – Our Fallen Heroes
- Pause to Pray (video)
- President Ronald Reagan Sharing A WWI Soldier’s Pledge (video)
- Biblical Faith During WWII
- A Cloud of Witnesses for Freedom and Truth
- At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- Two Minute Tribute to Those Who Gave Their All -- by Pres. Ronald Reagan (video)
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace (video)
- Forget Not…Three Remembrances on Memorial Day
- The Land of the Free (video)
- Thank You, God, for Freedom (video)
- Their Legacy of Freedom Lives On - video
- No Greater Love: In Memory of Our Fallen Heroes -video
- A Prayer to Pray on Independence Day (video)
- "You Will Hear of Wars and Rumors of Wars"
- Grateful for Our Heroes - Memorial Day Tribute
Independence Day/4th of July
Touching Remembrances of 9/11
- A Day to Remember (video)
- We Will Remember (video)
- Why Was a 9/11 Memorial Video Age-Restricted?
- Remember 9/11 – Cry Out to Jesus – The Answer for All Who Suffer
- Always Remember September 11 ( 9/11 Tribute )
- Has Anyone Ever Taken Your Place? An Amazing Account + A 9/11 Tribute
- Why Did the Terrorists Choose 9/11 to Attack?
- Who Was the First Victim of 9/11?
- The Light in the Darkness of 9/11
- What to think this 9/11?
Prayer, Our Nation, and our Presidents
- Which President said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- What Did President Reagan Say About Racism and Marxism?
- Words from the White House about our Christian Nation
- What Would Billy Graham Say…about the Election?
- Watch as Former Presidents Pray and Proclaim Faith in God and His Word (video)
- Is Not Voting a Sin? How is Voting Like Praying?
- Measured By Our Words: The Wisdom of Calvin Coolidge
- Is America a Christian Nation?
- National Day of Prayer
- The White House: Shrouded in Color or Covered in God’s Word?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED