It’s the dawn of a new year. For some of us this past year was a good one, for others a difficult one, and for some perhaps it was a year of little consequence or significance. But consider this. God graciously gives us 365 days in which to praise Him, to thank Him, and to serve Him . . . no matter our circumstances. Blessed be His name!
Let’s pause as we venture into the new year and consider some wisdom from God’s Word. In the book of Ecclesiastes, the preacher laments all of life “under the sun.” But in the close of his message, he reflects an understanding of real wisdom and truth.
Eccl 12:10, 13-14 The Preacher sought to find acceptable words; and what was written was upright; words of truth. . . Let us hear the conclusion of the whole matter: Fear God and keep His commandments, For this is man’s all. For God will bring every work into judgment, Including every secret thing, Whether good or evil.
A New Year, A New Start
With the new year, many consider it to be a new start. The “slate” of the past year is wiped clean and they anticipate a fresh new beginning. Many people make efforts of growth by setting New Year’s resolutions. The word resolution means, “a formal expression of opinion or intention made . . . a determination . . . the act of resolving or determining a course of action.” That says it! “Determining a course of action.” As the New Year is upon us people set out to determine a course of action and the purpose is to fulfill the desires of their hearts.
One might say that the preacher in Ecclesiastes, who penned the inspired words, was in a state of constantly “determining a course of action.” He had looked to fulfill the desires of his heart by worldly standards, but toward the end of his life he “sought to find delightful words” and he sought to “write words of truth correctly.”
These are undoubtedly two of the best resolutions we could make for 2018. Seek delightful word and share the truth correctly.
The preacher’s conclusion is certainly worthy of our consideration and would be another resolution worth setting:
“fear God and keep His commandments”
God says to us through the preacher that this is “man’s all.” That means it applies to all of us and is of utmost significance in directing our lives.
If we are going to make New Year’s resolutions, let’s take counsel from God’s Word and set them according to His standards.
Will that which we resolve reflect a joyful spirit and convey God’s truths? Will it reflect our fear, reverence, and love for God and our obedience to His will? We need to conform our will to God’s will, and determine our course of action to be: fear God and keep His commandments, for this “for this is the whole duty of man” (Ecc 12:13 KJV).
The preacher offers wise counsel . . . For God will bring every work into judgment, Including every secret thing, Whether good or evil. (Ecc 12:14)
And so, as you consider a course of action for the New Year, a “resolution” for growth, remember every work is either good or evil in God’s eyes. Keep your eyes on Jesus and know that He has promised the Holy Spirit will guide you. Set your resolutions according to God’s will revealed in His word. And then determine, by the power of the Spirit, to live a victorious life of loving and glorifying God in all you do.
John 14:21 “He who has My commandments and keeps them, it is he who loves Me. . .”
John 14:23 Jesus answered and said to him, “If anyone loves Me, he will keep My word. . .”
John 15:10 “If you keep My commandments, you will abide in My love. . .”
Inspiration for the New Year:
For Days of Auld Lang Syne
What are “The 70 New Year’s Resolutions?”
A New Year’s Meditation by Matthew Henry (1662-1714)
A New Year, A New Hope, It’s My Year – Guaranteed to Make You Smile! (video)
How Do I Change My Life? Two New Year’s Resolutions that will work!
Is a New Year’s Eve party biblical? What about the alcohol?
At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
I Resolve To….(video)
A New Year, A New Start. . .Another Resolution?
A New Year, A New Beginning
Good Reminders for the New Year
Ways to Glorify God - Bookmark
70 New Year's Resolution by Jonathan Edwards
Not feeling in a celebratory mood? Remember, you are not alone. Read this article & watch the short video.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2021
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Do ANGELS TAKE US TO HEAVEN When We Die?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas