What are your New Year’s Resolutions?
How will they direct your life in the New Year?
Take a minute and watch the video, then read of three resolutions we can find in the teachings of the apostle Paul.
This is the time of year for new beginnings. Resolutions are made….many to lose weight, work out more, work harder, earn more, save more, vacation more…and so on and so on. You get the idea. The intention of resolutions is to bring about a positive change, usually by setting goals and determining to work harder to achieve them.
Now, don’t hear me wrong. Such resolutions are not bad. They can help us in redirecting our energy in more positive and productive ways. But there are some biblical resolutions that will produce even greater results. The apostle Paul gives three in Ephesians 3:14-19. These are, however, not “to do” resolutions. They are three “to be” resolutions. And, when we read the passage carefully, we find that they are gifts of grace from our Father:
Ephesians 3:14-19 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God
- be strengthened with might
- be rooted and grounded in love
- be filled with all the fullness of God
Three Resolutions for the New Year
What a great passage. Paul listed three things that God desires to give us and that we should desire to have more abundantly in our lives. With close examination, we find Paul’s words to be a trinitarian teaching and they offer a perfect New Year’s resolution for us to claim. Let’s examine how, by God’s grace, we can be more strengthened, rooted, grounded, and filled?
- Strengthened in the Might of the Holy Spirit: It is by His Spirit that we are strengthened with might. Commit this New Year to be a time of learning more about the Person and power of the Holy Spirit. It is by knowing Him better that we are strengthened and empowered to walk in His might, not in our flesh. (Galatians 5:16, 25).
- Rooted and grounded in the Love of Jesus: Paul just told us, it is by the Holy Spirit that Christ dwells in our hearts. Next, he tells, it is by faith that we are rooted and grounded in love. What faith? Our faith and trust in Jesus. Jesus is love and His law is love (Romans 13:19, James 2:8). Therefore, by knowing Jesus better we live more fully in faith–more rooted and grounded in His love (1 John 4:19).
- Filled with the Fullness of God: It is by the Spirit’s teaching and by the Lord Jesus’ love that we are strengthened, rooted and grounded. It is by our response, in love for God, that our relationship with all three Persons of the Godhead grows in richness and we experience the fullness of God in our lives.
Could there be any better resolutions to begin the New Year? Grow in strength in the Holy Spirit. Be rooted and grounded in the love of Jesus. And, be filled to overflowing with the fullness of relationship with our amazing God.
And remember, all of this is being worked in us by the power of Him who is able, Him who is gracious and Him who loves us…
Ephesians 3:20-21 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen
Happy New Year from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
It’s not to late to help us finish the year strong! Take a minute and read about the ministry work of Reasons for Hope*Jesus. Then please consider supporting our ministry work for next year with a tax deductable donation of any amount.
More inspiration for the New Year:
What are “The 70 New Year’s Resolutions?”
A New Year’s Meditation by Matthew Henry (1662-1714)
A New Year, A New Hope, It’s My Year – Guaranteed to Make You Smile! (video)
How Do I Change My Life? Two New Year’s Resolutions that will work!
Is a New Year’s Eve party biblical? What about the alcohol?
At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
I Resolve To….(video)
A New Year, A New Start. . .Another Resolution?
A New Year, A New Beginning
Good Reminders for the New Year
Not feeling in a celebratory mood? Remember, you are not alone. Read this article & watch the short video.
Be Ready Always...
to give a reason for the Hope that you have (1 Peter 3:15). When you can’t share the gospel with your words, share it by leaving tracts that tell people about God's grace.
When leaving a tract, always be diligent to pray about the short gospel message. Pray that it be found by someone who is in need of Jesus’ saving grace, and pray that the person will have a tender heart and open ears to receive the gift Jesus desires to give them.
By the power of the Holy Spirit, even a small tract can help in turning a broken sinner from darkness to light.
SHARE THE GOSPEL!
The Top Ten in 2019
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Why Does the LGBT Use God’s Rainbow For Its Flag?
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR