What are your New Year’s Resolutions?
How will they direct your life in the New Year?
Take a minute and watch the video, then read of three resolutions we can find in the teachings of the apostle Paul.
This is the time of year for new beginnings. Resolutions are made….many to lose weight, work out more, work harder, earn more, save more, vacation more…and so on and so on. You get the idea. The intention of resolutions is to bring about a positive change, usually by setting goals and determining to work harder to achieve them.
Now, don’t hear me wrong. Such resolutions are not bad. They can help us in redirecting our energy in more positive and productive ways. But there are some biblical resolutions that will produce even greater results. The apostle Paul gives three in Ephesians 3:14-19. These are, however, not “to do” resolutions. They are three “to be” resolutions. And, when we read the passage carefully, we find that they are gifts of grace from our Father:
Ephesians 3:14-19 For this reason I bow my knees to the Father of our Lord Jesus Christ from whom the whole family in heaven and earth is named, that He would grant you, according to the riches of His glory, to be strengthened with might through His Spirit in the inner man, that Christ may dwell in your hearts through faith; that you, being rooted and grounded in love, may be able to comprehend with all the saints what is the width and length and depth and height to know the love of Christ which passes knowledge; that you may be filled with all the fullness of God
- be strengthened with might
- be rooted and grounded in love
- be filled with all the fullness of God
Three Resolutions for the New Year
What a great passage. Paul listed three things that God desires to give us and that we should desire to have more abundantly in our lives. With close examination, we find Paul’s words to be a trinitarian teaching and they offer a perfect New Year’s resolution for us to claim. Let’s examine how, by God’s grace, we can be more strengthened, rooted, grounded, and filled?
- Strengthened in the Might of the Holy Spirit: It is by His Spirit that we are strengthened with might. Commit this New Year to be a time of learning more about the Person and power of the Holy Spirit. It is by knowing Him better that we are strengthened and empowered to walk in His might, not in our flesh. (Galatians 5:16, 25).
- Rooted and grounded in the Love of Jesus: Paul just told us, it is by the Holy Spirit that Christ dwells in our hearts. Next, he tells, it is by faith that we are rooted and grounded in love. What faith? Our faith and trust in Jesus. Jesus is love and His law is love (Romans 13:19, James 2:8). Therefore, by knowing Jesus better we live more fully in faith–more rooted and grounded in His love (1 John 4:19).
- Filled with the Fullness of God: It is by the Spirit’s teaching and by the Lord Jesus’ love that we are strengthened, rooted and grounded. It is by our response, in love for God, that our relationship with all three Persons of the Godhead grows in richness and we experience the fullness of God in our lives.
Could there be any better resolutions to begin the New Year? Grow in strength in the Holy Spirit. Be rooted and grounded in the love of Jesus. And, be filled to overflowing with the fullness of relationship with our amazing God.
And remember, all of this is being worked in us by the power of Him who is able, Him who is gracious and Him who loves us…
Ephesians 3:20-21 Now to Him who is able to do exceedingly abundantly above all that we ask or think, according to the power that works in us, to Him be glory in the church by Christ Jesus to all generations, forever and ever. Amen
Happy New Year from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
It’s not to late to help us finish the year strong! Take a minute and read about the ministry work of Reasons for Hope*Jesus. Then please consider supporting our ministry work for next year with a tax deductable donation of any amount.
More inspiration for the New Year:
What are “The 70 New Year’s Resolutions?”
A New Year’s Meditation by Matthew Henry (1662-1714)
A New Year, A New Hope, It’s My Year – Guaranteed to Make You Smile! (video)
How Do I Change My Life? Two New Year’s Resolutions that will work!
Is a New Year’s Eve party biblical? What about the alcohol?
At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
I Resolve To….(video)
A New Year, A New Start. . .Another Resolution?
A New Year, A New Beginning
Good Reminders for the New Year
Ways to Glorify God - Bookmark
Not feeling in a celebratory mood? Remember, you are not alone. Read this article & watch the short video.
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the Gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement to us. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2020
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s Rod and Staff Different?
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
More Popular Got Questions & Articles
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Which OT Book Did JESUS QUOTE Most Often?
How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
How long did JOB SUFFER?
Three Heavens? Where is the THIRD HEAVEN?
What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
Should we call HIM JESUS? Or Yahweh? Or Yeshua?
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
JESUS WEPT. Why?
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- Christian Version of Leonard Cohen's HALLELUJAH
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- TASTE AND SEE that the Lord is Good ~ Psalm 34
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas