As Memorial Day approaches, remember all the men and women of the armed forces in years gone by, especially those who gave their lives in service to their country. Remember also those who currently serve and defend our freedoms.
Memories in the Cloud
We talk about “the cloud” all the time. Everything is “in the cloud.” The cloud holds all kinds of data — pictures of family and friends, music, videos, documents, etc. But there’s another kind of cloud that stores vital information also. And the “images” in that cloud are people who have departed this earth, yet they live on in our memories, and their “documents” are prevailing words of truth.
Hall of Faith Testimonies
Hebrews 11 is often called the “Hall of Faith.” It tells of 17 faithful Old Testament saints by name and several more by their acts of faith. All of them lived knowing, loving, and trusting God. They were people of great faith, and God strengthened them and used them to accomplish His good purposes. That which God worked in their hearts was demonstrated in their words and works. And in Hebrews chapter 12, they are referred to as a “great cloud of witnesses” because their lives have continued to be a testimony, throughout the ages, of the blessings of abiding faith and the mercy and grace of God.
A Great Cloud of Witnesses
Why does God call them a “great cloud of witnesses?” I suggest that it should bring to mind another “cloud”— the cloud that led the Israelites in the desert by day.
In that cloud was the power of God miraculously manifested in the sight of all the people. In that cloud was the provision of God’s presence and direction as He led His people through the wilderness. And in that cloud was the providence of God in preparing His people and moving them forward according to His purpose and plan.
The faithful “cloud of witnesses” is a spiritual cloud that can also lead and strengthen us in our journey. Remember, ponder, and treasure their words and works, and be encouraged by their steadfast examples of faith. From “the cloud” (Heaven), they testify about God’s love, grace, mercy, and goodness and tell of His provision for His children in all generations.
Consider the following words of wisdom from a Cloud of Witnesses of more recent times. They remind us of the great testimony of Jesus that God has given in the words of the Holy Bible.
Excerpt from Got Questions? We have Reasons for Hope— Reasons Book 3
A Cloud of Witnesses — Pastors and Church Leaders
The Holy Scriptures are our letters from home. — Saint Augustine.
The Bible will keep you from sin, or sin will keep you from the Bible. — Dwight L. Moody
The Bible was not given for our information but for our transformation. — Dwight L. Moody
A Bible that’s falling apart usually belongs to someone who isn’t. — Charles H. Spurgeon
I study my Bible like I gather apples. I search the Bible as a whole like shaking the whole tree. Then I shake every limb – study book after book. Then I shake every branch, giving attention to the chapters. And then I shake every twig, or a careful study of the paragraphs and sentences and words and their meanings. — Martin Luther
The Word of God well understood and religiously obeyed is the shortest route to spiritual perfection. And we must not select a few favorite passages to the exclusion of others. Nothing less than a whole Bible can make a whole Christian. — A. W. Tozer
Unless we form the habit of going to the Bible in bright moments as well as in trouble, we cannot fully respond to its consolations because we lack equilibrium between light and darkness. — Helen Keller
All miseries and evils that men suffer from—vice, crime, ambition, injustice, oppression, slavery and war—proceed from their despising or neglecting the precepts contained in the Bible. — Noah Webster
A Cloud of Witnesses — Presidents
A thorough knowledge of the Bible is worth more than a college education. — Theodore Roosevelt
Take all that you can of this book upon reason, and the balance on faith, and you will live and die a happier man. — Abraham Lincoln [Response when a skeptic expressed surprise seeing Lincoln reading a Bible]
As Commander-in-Chief I take pleasure in commending the reading of the Bible to all who serve in the armed forces of the United States. Throughout the centuries men of many faiths and diverse origins have found in the Sacred Book words of wisdom, counsel and inspiration. It is a fountain of strength and now, as always, an aid in attaining the highest aspirations of the human soul. — Franklin D. Roosevelt, January 25, 1941 [Letter from the White House to the Armed Forces on the first page of my father’s military-issued New Testament and Psalms pocket Bible.]
Within the covers of the Bible are the answers for all the problems men face. — Ronald Reagan
Word of God Speak
In addition to the voice of the “cloud of witnesses” who have gone before us, the Word of God itself speaks to us. The Bible equips, encourages, and empowers us to live faithfully and to boldly testify of our great God.
John 1:1, 14 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. John 1:14 And the Word was made flesh, and dwelt among us, (and we beheld his glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father,) full of grace and truth.
Romans 15:4 For whatever things were written before were written for our learning, that we through the patience and comfort of the Scriptures might have hope.
2 Timothy 2:15 Study to show thyself approved unto God, a workman that needeth not to be ashamed, rightly dividing the word of truth.
2 Peter 1:5 And beside this, giving all diligence, add to your faith virtue; and to virtue knowledge;
Psalm 119:89 For ever, O LORD, thy word is settled in heaven.
Matthew 24:35 Heaven and earth shall pass away, but my words shall not pass away.
Psalm 119:81, 114 I hope in thy word.
to thank God for the brave men and women who fight our country’s battles, especially those who have given their lives for our freeedom.
*** And Always Remember…
to thank and praise the One who fought the greatest battle ever. He fought the battle we could not fight. And He won the victory we could not win. Jesus gave His life so we can live, and He conquered death and defeated Satan. And because of His great sacrifice, we can live in ultimate freedom.
Be bold and tell of His love and saving grace. Help build His kingdom today. Seize every opportunity to witness for Jesus. For one day, you will go to be with Him and become a member of the Great Cloud of Witnesses.
If you missed the story of biblical faith displayed in WWII, read it now. It’s the historical account of a nation that knew the Bible and used three little words from the book of Daniel to keep war-torn England from being crushed in spirit and defeated in battle. READ HERE!
Memorial Day, Patriotic Articles & Videos, 4th of July
- Amazing Grace Bagpipes Memorial Day Tribue (A moving video to true heroes.)
- Watch 24 Reasons Why I Love America, by John Wayne (a must-see, moving video)
- Is Memorial Day Biblical?
- Memories in the Cloud Staggering statistics of American deaths in all US wars.
- All Gave Some, and Some Gave All – Our Fallen Heroes
- Pause to Pray (video)
- President Ronald Reagan Sharing A WWI Soldier’s Pledge (video)
- Biblical Faith During WWII
- A Cloud of Witnesses for Freedom and Truth
- At the Gate of the Year: A Message to a Troubled Nation
- Two Minute Tribute to Those Who Gave Their All -- by Pres. Ronald Reagan (video)
- Memorial Day Bagpipes Tribute: Amazing Grace (video)
- Forget Not…Three Remembrances on Memorial Day
- The Land of the Free (video)
- Thank You, God, for Freedom (video)
- Their Legacy of Freedom Lives On - video
- No Greater Love: In Memory of Our Fallen Heroes -video
- A Prayer to Pray on Independence Day (video)
- "You Will Hear of Wars and Rumors of Wars"
- Grateful for Our Heroes - Memorial Day Tribute
Independence Day/4th of July
Touching Remembrances of 9/11
- A Day to Remember (video)
- We Will Remember (video)
- Why Was a 9/11 Memorial Video Age-Restricted?
- Remember 9/11 – Cry Out to Jesus – The Answer for All Who Suffer
- Always Remember September 11 ( 9/11 Tribute )
- Has Anyone Ever Taken Your Place? An Amazing Account + A 9/11 Tribute
- Why Did the Terrorists Choose 9/11 to Attack?
- Who Was the First Victim of 9/11?
- The Light in the Darkness of 9/11
- What to think this 9/11?
Prayer, Our Nation, and our Presidents
- Which President said, "We Will Never Abandon Our Belief in God"
- Do Presidents Pray?
- Why is Prayer Important?
- What Did President Reagan Say About Racism and Marxism?
- Words from the White House about our Christian Nation
- What Would Billy Graham Say…about the Election?
- Watch as Former Presidents Pray and Proclaim Faith in God and His Word (video)
- Is Not Voting a Sin? How is Voting Like Praying?
- Measured By Our Words: The Wisdom of Calvin Coolidge
- Is America a Christian Nation?
- National Day of Prayer
- The White House: Shrouded in Color or Covered in God’s Word?
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
This is not a Got Questions? article. But it's so popular it ranked among the top pages viewed:
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED