[Watch below the video illustrating the story of Horatio Spafford and his hymn, “It is Well with My Soul.”]]
Horatio Gates Spafford (1828-1888) was a wealthy Chicago businessman and lawyer, married with five children, and living in Chicago in 1870. when his son, Horatio Spafford Jr. contracted scarlet fever and died. The next year, a massive fire devasted the city on October 8-10,1871. The fire killed almost 300 people and destroyed the homes of around 100,000. Spafford suffered great losses when his real estate holdings burned to the ground. Despite their financial losses, the Spaffords offered generous assistance to others.
Two years after the fire, in 1873, Spafford decided to take his family to England to visit his friend, evangelist D. L. Moody, who was preaching there. Spafford was delayed by a business matter, so he sent his wife Anna (1842-1923), and their four daughters (11-year-old Anna, 9-year-old Margaret Lee, 5-year-old Elizabeth, and 2-year-old Tanetta) on ahead of him. They sailed on the steamship Ville du Havre.
On November 22, 1873, the Ville du Havre was struck by an iron sailing ship and sank into the Atlantic Ocean in 12 minutes. Rescuers found Spafford’s wife unconscious and floating on a plank of wood. But sadly, all four of the couple’s daughters perished. When Anna Spafford arrived in Cardiff, South Wales, she telegraphed her husband two words: “Saved alone….”
Spafford immediately booked passage on a ship and left to join his wife. As the ship crossed the Atlantic Ocean, in the area where the Ville du Havre had sunk and his daughters had perished, Spafford penned the words, “When peace like a river, attendeth my way, When sorrows like sea billows roll, Whatever my lot, Thou hast taught me to say, It is well, it is well with my soul.”
The Rest of the Story
The Spaffords’ lives changed in many ways after the death of their daughters. They returned to Chicago and “rebuilt” their lives with Anna giving birth to four more children. Sadly, their only son, Horatio (named for his deceased brother and his father) died at the age of four in 1880. The Spaffords also left their Presbyterian church, after embracing unorthodox beliefs, including denying the reality of an eternal hell and accepting a doctrine of universalism (all people will go to heaven).
The Spaffords created their own “church,” gathering a small group of believers that came to be known as “The Overcomers.” In September 1881, with Horatio Spafford as their leader,, the group of 20 journeyed to Israel and established a commune, known as the American colony. They served the poor, the sick, and the homeless in the name of Jesus, yet many of the group’s practices and beliefs did not reflect the Lord’s teachings. The group built a luxury hotel in east Jerusalem called “The American Colony Hote.” The hotel still stands today and is still owned by descendants of the Spaffords.
Horatio Spafford died in 1888 and his wife Anna in 1923.
Watch -- Stories behind the songs and those who wrote them:
Who Was Fanny Crosby? What’s the Story Behind “Blessed Assurance”
Who Was Horatio Spafford? What’s the Story Behind “It Is Well With My Soul”
Who Was Robert Robinson? What’s the Story Behind “Come Thou Fount”
Who Was Charles Wesley? What’s the Story Behind “Christ the Lord is Risen Today”
Who was Isaac Watts? What's the Story Behind "When I Survey the Wondrous Cross?"
Who Was William Cowper? What’s the Story Behind "There is a Fountain Filled with Blood"
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED