In 2 Corinthians 5:7, the Bible tells that “we walk by faith, not by sight,” but what does that really mean?
[Don’t miss the video at the end: “Walk by Faith”]
We understand that we don’t have visual proof of what we believe or of whom we believe in. It’s true that we have never seen Jesus and many of His works are unobservable. We weren’t there when He created the world. We didn’t see Him heal, give sight, or do the miracles He did during His earthly ministry. Even now, so many healings, so many blessings, go uncredited to the One who is the giver of every good and perfect gift (James 1:17).
Unlike the Israelites of old, God has never appeared to us as a cloud by day or a pillar of fire by night. And, even though we have the Holy Spirit with us (indwelling us), no Christian has ever had a Dove descend upon them as the Spirit did when John baptized Jesus. Furthermore, God does not speak to us, as He did to the Prophets (He now speaks to us through His Word, Jesus. Heb 1:1-2). For these reasons and more, we can certainly understand that our walk is not by sight.
God gave the Jews “signs and wonders,” that they might believe, but such was given to Israel (1 Cor 1:22), not the church. For us, who are in Christ, we love someone we’ve never seen.
Unseen, Yet Seen
God gave the Jews signs and wonders so that they might believe (1 Cor 1:22). But signs and wonders are not meant for us who are in Christ. While our faith is based on the unseen, we can be assured that it is not a blind faith. Now that might sound contradictory, so bear with me as I explain.
In Ephesians 1:18, we read about our “eyes.” The Greek word used there is ophthalmos, from which we get ophthalmology. The verse speaks of the “eyes” of our understanding (Geneva, KJV, NKJV, et.al.) and, in some translations, it is translated the “eyes” of our hearts (Darby, Douay-Rheimes, ISV, RV, NASB, ESV, et.al.). Still, other translations speak of the “eyes” of our minds (ASV, Bishops, et.al.).
The verse tells that our “eyes” are “being enlightened, so that [we] may know what is the hope of His calling, what are the riches of the glory of His inheritance in the saints” (Eph 1:18). This is a precious verse, and it reminds us that God doesn’t expect us to just believe. He has given us “eyes” to see, but it is a different kind of “eyes” and a different kind of seeing. That’s why we can say our faith is not a blind faith. We do not have a faith without foundation. It is not a faith that is indefensible because we do not see the signs, wonders, and miracles that were manifested under the Old Covenant. It is not a faith of wishing. Rather, it is a faith of confident hope because God has “shown us everything we need to know by the truths He has revealed in His Word.
The Heart Sees and Responds to That Which the Mind Receives
Faith is generated in both the heart and the mind. The link between the heart and mind is not fully understandable, but it is comprehensible. We know that the heart can only be moved by that which the mind can conceive and the mind can only conceive and believe that which it receives. That’s why God’s Word is so precious to Christians. It holds the very thoughts of God and willingly imparts them to us.
The Bible clearly tells us that our minds need to be renewed (Ro 12:1) and we do that by thinking on the things of God found in His Word.
Phil 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.
The Bible reveals Jesus and the Bible is inerrant. Knowing Jesus and trusting Him comes from feeding our minds with His truths found in His Word and that generates confident hope and certain peace.
Phil 4:9 Those things, which ye have both learned, and received, and heard, and seen in me, do: and the God of peace shall be with you.
If your heart desires to walk by faith, you can do so by trusting in Jesus and reading His Word. Seek knowledge so you can know Jesus better (1 Cor 1:22) and then the “eyes” of your heart will “see” Him more clearly, They “eyes” of your mind will better understand His will and ways, and your desire will be to walk in faith, fueled by the Holy Spirit.
Jesus declared that we are the light of the world (Mat 5:14) and that we should let our light so others might see our good works, and glorify our Father which is in heaven (Matt 5:16). We have the Holy Spirit indwelling us and teaching us all things. May His light shine through us so others can see what we have seen.
We’ve covered what it means to WALK BY FAITH. NEXT WEEK we will address “What does it mean to WALK WITH GOD?”
If anyone speaks, let him speak as the oracles of God.
If anyone ministers, let him do it as with the ability which God supplies,
that in all things God may be glorified through Jesus Christ,
to whom belong the glory and the dominion forever and ever.
1 Pet 4:11
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
We continue to reach people worldwide with the truths of God's Word and the gospel of the Lord Jesus Christ. Your generosity is both a blessing and encouragement. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and . . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
A Room with a View of Eternity—The Last Will & Testament of Jesus Christ Take a seat at the Master's table. Learn about the riches He gives to all who are His. This book will bless and encourage you, give you hope, and help you live in the joy of your salvation and the riches of Christ that are yours.
The Top Ten Got Questions? in 2022
- The Meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- How long did JOB SUFFER?
- What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
- How are the Shepherd’s ROD and STAFF Different?
- Which Old Testament Book Did JESUS QUOTE most often?
- The Meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- ONLY ONE LIFE, Twill Soon Be Past – by C.T. Studd (1860 – 1931)
- How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM in Psalm 22?
More Popular Got Questions
- Did Jesus Fight Satan to Take Back the KEYS of Death and Hell?
- How Did the Wise Men Know This Was the Messiah and KNOW TO FOLLOW HIS STAR?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- Jesus' Last Days TIMELINE: The Cross and The Crucifixion
- How Many MIRACLES Did Jesus Do?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM?
- SIN, INIQUITY, TRANSGRESSION? How are they different?
- What are the NAMES of JEHOVAH Hidden in Psalm 23?
- Jesus in the Gospels: What are the Four Different Presentations of Jesus?
- If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Re-Baptized?
- Why Did God Create Man Knowing MAN WOULD SIN?
- What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
- What are the “I Will ” STATEMENTS of Satan, God, and Jesus?
- Was MARY a LEVITE Making Jesus both a Priest and King?
- Why Was a RAM SACRIFICED in Genesis 22 Instead of a Lamb?
- Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER?
- Can Jews go to Heaven without knowing Jesus?
TOP TEN Videos from Reasons for Hope* Jesus
- Memorial Day BAGPIPES TRIBUTE: Amazing Grace
- RISE AND SHINE and Give God the Glory, Glory!
- WERE YOU THERE When They Crucified My Lord?
- PAUL HARVEY: THE BIRDCAGE
- PRESIDENT RONALD REAGAN: A SOLDIER'S PLEDGE
- Hark! the Herald Angels Sing -- CHARLIE BROWN Christmas
- JOHN WAYNE ~ WHY I LOVE AMERICA
- Jimmy Stewart - Nativity Scene Prayer: Mr. Krueger's Christmas
- THE LEGEND OF THE CANDY CANE - A Christmas Story to Share
- Not by Might, Not by Power, But BY MY SPIRIT says the Lord (Zechariah 4:6)
- Erwin Lutzer - We Will Not Be SILENCED