We’ve talked about walking in faith (Read: What Does It Mean To WALK BY FAITH?) and about walking with God (Read: What Does It Mean To WALK WITH GOD?), but there remains the question, what does it mean to walk in hope?
[Don’t miss the video at the end: “10,000 Reasons”]
First, let’s define what hope is. The Merriam-Webster Dictionary defines hope in this way: “to want something to happen or to be true.” As Christians, we know that our hope is much more than just wanting something to happen or be true.
As Christians, we define our hope as a confident expectation of something that will come to pass or will be shown to be true, because God has revealed or promised something. Our hope is:
- different than that of the world. It is not wishful thinking. It is not based on our desires or wants.
- based on a Person, the Lord Jesus Christ.
- fueled by finding answers and purposeful reasoning from God’s Word, knowing that God is sovereign over all things and that He loves us.
- fundamental to our faith. Hebrews 11:1 tells that “faith is the substance of things hoped for…”
- Without hope, our walk by faith will falter.
- Without hope, we will wander away from walking with God.
- And without hope, we will despair.
Hope is absolutely necessary to fully live in the joy of the Lord. And God, in His love and faithfulness, has given us all that we need to have hope in every step take on our way home.
Ministry of Hope
The ministry of Reasons for Hope* Jesus stands on two very important “hope” verses. As an apologetics ministry, 1 Peter 3:15 defines our mission to “be ready always to give an answer to every man who asks you a reason for the hope that is in you.” That verse also tells us how to share our hope. We are to do so “with meekness and fear” (i.e. gentleness and respect) and in doing so we “sanctify the Lord,” which means we set Him apart and we magnify Him as Lord.
The second ministry verse is a reminder of our True Hope and it’s incorporated into the logo of the Reasons for Hope* Jesus ministry. The verse is Hebrews 6:19 and it is a discipling verse that strengthens and encourages all Christians: “Which hope we have as an anchor of the soul, both sure and steadfast…”
Our True Hope
Hebrews 6:19 is about Jesus. He is our True Hope. He is our anchor of security in every storm and our anchor of rest in calm waters — the anchor that is both “sure and steadfast.” That means we can have confidence in our walk, anchored in Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith (Heb 12:2).
Our Walk is not…
- by sight (2 Cor 5:7), for faith is unseen (Heb 11:1).
- alone, for we walk with God. (Heb 13:5)
- without hope, for we have a sure and steadfast hope (Heb 6:19)
- without joy, for we have an unconditional promise of glory to come (John 11:25, Col 3:14)
We walk IN HOPE because we are IN CHRIST. And to experience our hope and to have joy and peace, regardless of circumstance, we need to know Jesus. Knowledge of Jesus comes from the Word of God, by which Jesus is fully revealed and magnified. God’s Word gives us hope and joy.
There is one more verse upon which Reasons for Hope* Jesus is founded. It is a missional verse, and it is our hope and prayer for you:
May the God of hope fill you
with all joy and peace in believing,
that you may abound in hope
by the power of the Holy Spirit.
There is no better way to build faith and instill confidence in our souls than to remember the beautiful promises of God. They give us reasons to believe, reasons to trust, and reasons to hope — 10,000 Reasons (and more!).
Jesus is the Reason this Ministry Exists
Thank you to all who contributed in 2020. Your generosity is a blessing and encouragement to us. We did not meet expenses in 2020 and still need your help to continue our global outreach in 2021. Our mission is to glorify God by equipping, encouraging, and empowering YOU to understand the Bible and grow in faith. If our online resources have blessed you, we hope you will support Reasons for Hope* Jesus. Our ministry outreach has grown significantly and. . .
Please support Reasons for Hope* Jesus with a donation of $5, $10, $20, or more. A donation of any amount is needed and greatly appreciated.
CLICK TO DONATE
to Reasons for Hope*Jesus(a 501c3 Ministry)
Use a Credit Card or PayPal for safe, secure giving.
***A Hidden Message in Psalm 23?***
Hidden in the six verses of Psalm 23 are 11 names for Jesus. When you subscribe to our newsletter, we’ll send you The Names of God in Psalm 23 PDF that reveals all 11 names and Scripture verses of comfort and hope (link will be sent in your confirmation email).
Top Ten in 2019
- What is the meaning of NUMBERS in the Bible?
- What is the meaning of COLORS in the Bible?
- Is my TATTOO a sin?
- What do the 12 stones UNDER the JORDAN River mean? (Joshua 4)
- CHARLIE BROWN Theology
- What Does It Mean to TASTE & SEE That God Is Good? (Psalm 34)
- Did The Wise Men Arrive 12 DAYS AFTER JESUS’ BIRTH? Or Was It Much Later?
- Is Leonard Cohen’s “HALLELUJAH” a Christian Song?
- Where did OT Saints go at death? ABRAHAM'S BOSOM? Where was that?
- Is It a Sin to Drink ALCOHOL?
More Popular Questions & Articles:
If BAPTIZED as an Infant, Do I Need to Be Baptized Again?
How was Jesus Like a Worm? What’s the CRIMSON (OR SCARLET) WORM? Psalm 22
Is Satan’s Real Name LUCIFER? Or Should We Call Him Satan?
What is the Significance of the Wise Men's THREE GIFTS? And were they kings?
Was Jesus CRUCIFIED on Wednesday, Thursday, or Friday?
The Names of Jehovah hidden in Psalm 23! This will surprise you!
What Did Jesus Say About HEAVEN (and HELL)?
JESUS WEPT. Why? And…it’s not the shortest verse in the Bible!
Is There a Remez (HIDDEN MESSAGE ) in Revelation 7? Why is Dan Missing?
What Does it Mean to Be A CHILD OF GOD?
Why Is PRAYER Important?
Is SUICIDE an Unforgivable Sin?
Something ALL Christians must know: IVDARR